Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

It's official...Richmond are just a bunch of cr.a.p players

(By caroline wilson with advice from Khun Will27)

Richmond's off-field leaders have pulled down the shutters this week, just one loss away from publicly acknowledging what it has already privately accepted.

Having failed to produce one solid performance over their opening five games, the Tigers are determined to respond to the club's serious playing deficiencies and lack of depth and force a review of the club's recruiting personnel and list strategy.

On-field Richmond have proved one of the competition's slowest ball-movers in 2016, a reality that has been mirrored off the field by the club's failure to shake up its football operation and inject new coaching blood into Damien Hardwick's team of assistants.

As it stands, the decision to extend Hardwick's contract until the end of 2018 looks at best unnecessary but the prevailing view at Richmond is that Hardwick is not the problem. Given the fragility of the Tigers' list, it's fair to say that Hardwick has done a better than adequate job with the talent at his disposal even if the team has looked bereft of structure too often this season.

A loss to Port Adelaide on Saturday night will prove the turning point. To echo Ross Lyon, Richmond must put more games in Daniel Rioli, Connor Menadue and Corey Ellis. If this is not a rebuild it is surely a transition.

The internal message at Richmond this week is that the season is not lost. Which appears to be the reason president Peggy O'Neal, chief executive Brendon Gale and football general manager Daniel Richardson have chosen to stay silent. But surely the public conversation cannot be stalled for much longer.

Particularly given that all three must take some responsibility for failing to address the tough decisions over the past two seasons and particularly given they strongly back Hardwick. If the coach has made errors – and all coaches do – then one would be that Hardwick has remained too loyal to key staffers with whom he built relationships at previous clubs. The only new coach at Tigerland this year is Craig McRae, who has returned to take over Richmond's VFL team.

Having received deserved credit for rebuilding the club off the field and creating a stable environment, Gale and Co. must now accept scrutiny for taking too long to respond to the failings in the playing list and deficiencies in the coaches' box. And having thrown everything at trying to recruit Adam Treloar and fallen short, and having traded in only Chris Yarran and Jacob Townsend, the Richmond heirarchy must surely radically revise next season's list-building plan of action.

This time last year, after the round-four Anzac Eve loss to Melbourne, Gale appeared on Channel Nine's Footy Classified and was chided in some media quarters for compounding the view that the club was in crisis. Perhaps the Tigers' executives took that to heart, which could in part explain why they are refusing to comment this week.

But what Gale said then is telling in context of what the club is facing now. "I guess that's what I happen to believe," he said, "that at our best we're not a bad football team, and we've got to get better. There's credit in that because not so long ago we were a poor football team.

"When we experience injuries we struggle more than most because of our lack of depth. That's an explanation, not an excuse, that's the way it is." Which raises the question on why the Tigers did not take control of the issue having identified it so long ago. Clearly, even allowing for the fact that the team radically improved from that point last year and injured players returned, the players still fell well short when it counted in September.

And now Richmond is back where they were last year and would seem to face an even tougher climb back, given the depth of the competition and the looming threat of the expansion clubs. The team that took the field against Melbourne in a showcase AFL game wafted too strongly of VFL.

None of the above excuses the lack of on-field leadership. Trent Cotchin, whose wife meant well but embarrassed the club and captain in her social media and front-page attack on those so-called media bullies, does not deserve to be singled out except as a symbol of a team too often bereft of on-field governance. The club has for too long failed to recruit enough strong leaders or put in place a leadership program that has resonated in on-field consistency.

Never was that more stark than on Sunday night when Alex Rance placed his elbow into the back of Jack Watts' head when Watts wasn't looking. Rance is a great defender and has apologised profusely. Citing the one-punch campaign, his personal moral code and his remorse, Rance on Tuesday called his action unprofessional, dumb, emotional, out of character, stupid and ridiculous.

All of the above. And potentially far more lethal. As it was, the message Rance sent to his younger teammates in the dying minutes of what might prove another moribund season for Richmond was that he had run out of answers. And in doing so he gave them all an excuse.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-richmond-moving-too-slowly-on-field-and-off-20160426-gofj77.html#ixzz46vYlHvVl
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• Like 2

You will be eating your hat kid, the Tigers turned it around after the Dee's took 4 points off them last year, this year they came up against a much improved an more potent Dee's, they haven't complained but some of there better players have been injured, there Slowly coming back into the team, they blitzed once they got going and there is a good chance they will again, I'm still tipping them to make the finals.

Freo? Well more going on there than meets the eye, you just don't slide 18 positions over night unless some people are not happy.

• Like 1

Looking forward to see this guy play...he has really bulked up in 2 years

New Swan at the double: Aliir Aliir to debut

KENYAN-BORN Sydney Swans key defender Aliir Aliir has been picked to make his AFL debut against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Sunday.

Aliir will replace veteran Ted Richards who fractured his cheekbone in the Swans' 39-point win over West Coast last week.

The 21-year-old was born in a refugee camp in Kenya to Sudanese parents before his family fled war-torn Africa when he was seven years of age to settle in Australia, firstly in Brisbane, and later in Perth.

It was a season spent playing for East Fremantle in the WAFL where he impressed the Swans, who took him at pick 44 of the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

Coach John Longmire said the athletic backman has benefitted greatly from playing on the likes of Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett during match simulation and has dramatically improved his game since the end of last year.

"That’s the benefit for our young key defenders is the ability to be able to train on quality key forwards on a regular basis," Longmire said.

"There's no better way of learning, we can show vision as much as we like but there's no better way (to learn) than playing on the best.

"Particularly over pre-season and games to this point so far he's been terrific winning his one-on-ones and he's a very good kick and a great athlete.

"He's played on a couple of listed AFL players at reserves level and done OK, and certainly at training he's been good at that as well.

"It's really exciting for him, he's put together a great body of work in the reserves, he's played a good 5-6 weeks of absolute quality football now and deserves his opportunity.

Longmire said he kept news of the club's latest debutant quiet until the team's pre-training meeting on Wednesday, and he got the reaction he expected from the playing group.

"He didn't know actually, I announced it and his was probably the best grin I've ever seen," Longmire said.

"He's had a few challenges along the journey, there's no doubt about that, but he's making the most of his opportunities now and it's terrific to see."

While Richards will miss the clash with the Lions, Longmire was confident that fellow defender Jeremy Laidler would be cleared to play after he missed most of last week's win over the Eagles after copping a head knock early in the game.

In other news, speedy midfielder Gary Rohan will play in the NEAFL after coming off the long-term injury list.

The 24-year-old's hamstring issues forced the club to give him an extended time away from playing to ensure he returned to full fitness, and Rohan looks to have himself in great shape after training at full pace with the Swans' main group for the past month.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-27/aliir-aliir-to-debut-for-the-swans

Edited by BookMan

I'm looking forward to see this kid play - Christian Petracca

Some people are saying he's the best kid they've sever seen.

Petracca to debut

MELBOURNE young gun Christian Petracca will finally make his much-anticipated debut on Saturday against St Kilda, the club which overlooked him with the No.1 pick in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.

Dees coach Paul Roos delivered the good news to Petracca on Wednesday, after holding back the midfield bull despite weeks of sensational VFL form.

"I never thought the day would come to be honest," Petracca told the club's website.

"He (Roos) didn’t really tell me I was playing. He told me there was no spot for me in the team and we were playing good footy, which is true to be honest.

"Then he told me that I was playing and I can’t really describe it to be honest – it’s all a bit of a blur."

Petracca was long mooted to be the first pick in the 2014 draft before the Saints opted for key forward Paddy McCartin.

His long-awaited debut comes after a knee reconstruction wiped out his first year at Melbourne, while a frustrated Roos made the 20-year-old bide his time this season after breaking a toe playing basketball during pre-season.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Petracca to debut

MELBOURNE young gun Christian Petracca will finally make his much-anticipated debut on Saturday against St Kilda, the club which overlooked him with the No.1 pick in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.

Dees coach Paul Roos delivered the good news to Petracca on Wednesday, after holding back the midfield bull despite weeks of sensational VFL form.

"I never thought the day would come to be honest," Petracca told the club's website.

"He (Roos) didnt really tell me I was playing. He told me there was no spot for me in the team and we were playing good footy, which is true to be honest.

"Then he told me that I was playing and I cant really describe it to be honest its all a bit of a blur."

Petracca was long mooted to be the first pick in the 2014 draft before the Saints opted for key forward Paddy McCartin.

His long-awaited debut comes after a knee reconstruction wiped out his first year at Melbourne, while a frustrated Roos made the 20-year-old bide his time this season after breaking a toe playing basketball during pre-season.

Nobody seen him play but he looks inpressive readybuilt body like hes been playing 10 years already.

We should have an inpressive midfeield soon, every one knows Jones, latest sensation Viney, hes dad was a gun centreman, the emerging Brawyshaw new boy Oliver, ex Crow Bernie Vince, ex Gaint i think minch got his name right , thzt stirrer Bugg who plays defence tooooo.....here we go here we gooooo......

• Like 1

Petracca to debut

"He (Roos) didnt really tell me I was playing. He told me there was no spot for me in the team and we were playing good footy, which is true to be honest.

"Then he told me that I was playing and I cant really describe it to be honest its all a bit of a blur."

Nobody seen him play but he looks inpressive readybuilt body like hes been playing 10 years already.

We should have an inpressive midfeield soon, every one knows Jones, latest sensation Viney, hes dad was a gun centreman, the emerging Brawyshaw new boy Oliver, ex Crow Bernie Vince, ex Gaint i think minch got his name right , thzt stirrer Bugg who plays defence tooooo.....here we go here we gooooo......

I hear chooka has been well pleased with the Saints picking Paddy MCartin

• Like 2

Petracca to debut

"He (Roos) didn’t really tell me I was playing. He told me there was no spot for me in the team and we were playing good footy, which is true to be honest.

"Then he told me that I was playing and I can’t really describe it to be honest – it’s all a bit of a blur."

At 186cm and 95 kg he is a big lad.

Plus our long absent ex co-captain Jack Trengrove is starring in the two,s,interesting times ahead methinks.

• Like 1

Saints wasted pick 5 last year on that coke snorting druggie and Essendon cheat Carlyise and now that other broken down hack from Collingwood Freeman whom they gave up a 2nd round pick for has broken down again. His constant hamstring problem that stopped him playing at the pies has struck again. Will be put on the long term injury list and I doubt he will ever play for the saints. Can't wait for this year draft as every club will be lining up at Saint Kilda to off loads all thier garbage for prime draft picks.

We did the same with Anderson from the Hawks,after all we have given them over the years.

Still luckily he got injured early and things are going well at Arden Streetsmile.png .

• Like 2

Saints wasted pick 5 last year on that coke snorting druggie and Essendon cheat Carlyise and now that other broken down hack from Collingwood Freeman whom they gave up a 2nd round pick for has broken down again. His constant hamstring problem that stopped him playing at the pies has struck again. Will be put on the long term injury list and I doubt he will ever play for the saints. Can't wait for this year draft as every club will be lining up at Saint Kilda to off loads all thier garbage for prime draft picks.

[emoji1] [emoji1]

i was disappointed when we lost Membrey to u guys..

turns out he was built for the reserves

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Awwww you make my heart bleed....what about us? Clarke who's gone to the Cats....breaks down mid season 2 years in a row then depression hits in....hasnt done much there, then Collingwoods Daws, we moved heaven and earth to get him to play a total of 10 games in 3 years big bodied big payments for what?

Roos and co smart cookies....they went and got Vince from the Crows who won our best and fairest last year and shaping up as captain already, Minich who to be honest looked ordinary last year but rock solid this year from the Giants, Bugg this year from Giants and the Woods Kennedy both have been blitzing..

About time we got lucky and with a different culture down there those early picks will have good grounding and of course Trentgrove a classy player, we have the potential to have a gun midfield by as early as next year, class stamped all over it.

Not to forget Max Gawn is taking all before him rated already as 2cd best ruck man in the AFL, you want to keep an eye out for Frost a tall who will slot into a key forward position and jayden Hunt, this kid looks like he could be anything.

The game against the Saints normally would be dangerous for us, they tend to kick our ass a lot, and no matter where we are on the ladder or they for that matter, but not this week, Dee's have some mileage in them before they hit a troiugh, with Suns, Bulldogs then Lions its possible to get 2 wins there the way were playing plus add the Saints scalp 3 of 4? at least 2 of 4 is doable the way were playing right now.

Saw big Maxxy on AFL 360 last night and he was a real character.

• Like 2

quote from the article...

"How well Freo can manage those questions will help determine whether this season becomes one of positive rebuilding and development (pending on the availability/arrival of Harley Bennell, Cale Hooker and Jess Hogan) or an absolute basket case."

• Like 1

quote from the article...

"How well Freo can manage those questions will help determine whether this season becomes one of positive rebuilding and development (pending on the availability/arrival of Harley Bennell, Cale Hooker and Jess Hogan) or an absolute basket case."

It's hard enough as it is for WA clubs to attract players.

It will be even harder for Freo now that they will more than likely finish bottom 4.

Some players might've been tempted by Freo being in a the premiership window, but not now.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Cale Hooker compensation to circumvent salary cap??

Cale Hooker signed for 5 years, for a total of about $1 million less..

Could it be that a deal has been done, where Essendon re-sign their players under the salary cap, and agree to bump up any future compensation claims (which will have to be paid) by the amount Hooker would have got going to anther club? Could be a sneaky way to retain players and match $$ from other clubs

• Like 1

Why is the footy world fascinated by Petracca?

THE FASCINATION surrounding Christian Petracca's long-awaited AFL debut would likely unsettle most players in his position. However, for Petracca, being in the limelight isn't new. Before he was drafted, he'd had a racehorse named after him. And that’s only part of his curious story.

Petracca will have plenty of eyes on him on Saturday when he runs out for Melbourne against St Kilda in his first since joining the Demons 18 months ago as their prized pick No.2 pick. There's something unique about his passage to this point, primarily because of the attention he has attracted without having played a game.

It's easy to understand why, considering his form in the latter part of 2014, his draft year. He exploded playing for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, won the Larke Medal as the best player in the carnival and dominated nearly every game he played. Recruiters and under-18 followers enjoyed the way he played; he showed enormous natural talent, and topped that off with plenty

of passion and aggression. He was also big on theatrics.

Petracca was easy to like. He was confident, brash and boisterous, and displayed a sense of humour. He oozed ‘follow me’ charisma. He talked to anyone and spoke honestly. One scout compared him to Hawthorn great Robert 'Dipper' DiPierdomenico, a larger-than-life figure who can dominate a room. Not surprisingly, it wasn't long before he was being touted as a possible No.1 pick.

At the draft combine in October, Petracca was the first of 30 players to do be interviewed in AFL Media's studios. Where most of the other boys had their chat and moved on, Petracca hung around, watched others and offered to make coffee for late-working staff he had only just met.

His exuberance in interviews and on the field was at times interpreted as arrogance, and he knew that. When he told AFL.com.au he wanted to be the No.1 pick, some observers raised eyebrows. But understanding Petracca's interests and background provides an insight into the way he carries himself.

Petracca grew up a massive basketball fan, idolising the super-skilled playmaker Allen Iverson and wanting to play in the NBA. He wasn't that far away, either, making the AIS squad as a teenager and starring at state level. He followed basketball more than his footy team Collingwood as a kid, and would play in the backyard in Melbourne’s outer north-east most nights with his two older brothers.

It's why his recent mishap – when he broke a toe pre-season while playing basketball, an injury that delayed his return from a knee reconstruction – should be put into perspective. He was simply doing what he's always done. Before every game of footy during his youth Petracca would shoot hoops (a habit he only stopped when AFL Academy assistant coach Matthew Lloyd told him he shouldn't have a pre-game routine that relied on a basketball ring being available).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-28/petracca-fascination

• Like 1