Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Here are the current markets for favoritism.

Overall: So hard to make a prediction this early, but hawthorn could be even stronger than they were last year. Some solid experienced recruits and their defense is going to be hard to beat

My team this year: Sydney....they had a stellar season last year but their lack of experience down back could be telling. Malceski gone. Shaw; did the Swans really sign him for another year? Goodes;should have retired end of last year.

AFL1.png

No odds for the Bombers to not make the 8? Seems odd...

I think the Swans will be ok without Malco, I think Laids or Rohan can fill that rebounding role. With Johnson out for another season (he'd slot right into the Malco role) it'll be tough but it's not Horses first rodeo...

Tom Mitchell. Will he get a game this year?

Malceski was one of our few good players in last years GF. Buddy also. I have wiped the rest from my memory. Still, the spanking the youngsters (and oldsters) got, might serve them well this year

Edited by BookMan

Yeah I reckon Tommy will get plenty of game time this season. He's also a good option to replace Malco as is McVeigh.. Expect this area to be heavily tweaked during the NAB Cup...

As with O'Keefe last year, if Shaw isn't performing, he will be dropped..

Yeah I reckon Tommy will get plenty of game time this season. He's also a good option to replace Malco as is McVeigh.. Expect this area to be heavily tweaked during the NAB Cup...

WHoa! big call GS. Tommy down back! My head is spinning.

WHoa! big call GS. Tommy down back! My head is spinning.

Your head spin cos you drink too mut...

He wouldn't be the first midfielder or Swan to play a dual role ;) He, like Rohan, can provide that rebound. Will also keep him happy enough to ward off potential suitors :P

• Like 1

Yep! I love it! tongue.png

Butterfingers Reid is so much better off the halfback line. He is a bit slow like a lumbering giraffe at times but in defence his marking looks solid. He must get sticky finger power when he is defending.

I'm excited to see jetta moved back there also. Put him on the outside, Rohan on the other side of half back and u have a decent threesome there. Also good for rotations up forward.

(mate, where is Mitchell going to fit in down there? Send him off to West Coast i say)

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Are Collingwood supporters allowed? I should be back in time for the season.

One of our regulars here called chooka, just loves Collngwood supporters.

I'm sure he'll be along soon to welcome you.

Actually I am a Dogs Supporter.
excellent, I'm tipping a saints/Dogs grandfinal.

347445-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

NORTH Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow will almost certainly finish his career as a one-club player after re-signing with the Roos for three more years.

Swallow, 27, was due to become a free agent at the end of this season, but has re-committed to North to the end of 2018 by when he will be 31.

Swallow took over the North captaincy from Brent Harvey ahead of the 2012 season and has led the Roos into the finals in two of his three seasons in charge.

The courageous midfielder finished ninth in last year's club best and fairest award despite missing North's first seven games as he recovered from a ruptured left Achilles tendon.

Swallow was understandably rusty when he first came back last year, but by the end of the home and away season had returned to the type of form that saw him win three best and fairest awards from 2009-12.

The Roos skipper has been one of the best inside ball-winners in the AFL for the past few seasons. Since 2011, he has led the competition in average tackles (7.1 a game) and is third for clearances (6.7).

From his return in round nine last year, Swallow led North in contested possessions, clearances and tackles.

Champion Data statistics also show that North scored from 30 per cent of Swallow's clearances last year (the equal eighth-highest percentage of the competition's top 50 clearance-winners) and his clearances generated more points than any other player in the AFL from rounds nine-23 (123, 25 more than the next best player).

After captaining Western Australia in the 2005 NAB AFL Championships, Swallow was selected by North with pick No. 43 in that year's national draft.

North now has six players remaining in 2015 free agency pool: Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito, Nathan Grima, Robbie Tarrant and Scott McMahon.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Geez, that will make both of you happy.

• Like 1

Round robin tournament for the bottom 4?

• Like 1

Round robin tournament for the bottom 4?

Speaking of the bottom 4, hard to pick this year as a lot of teams should improve.

My bottom 4 is:

GWS

WB (sorry CarnegieJoe)

Melb &

St Kilda (sorry chooka)

• Like 1

Speaking of the bottom 4, hard to pick this year as a lot of teams should improve.

My bottom 4 is:

GWS

WB (sorry CarnegieJoe)

Melb &

St Kilda (sorry chooka)

Interesting that Carlton is $3.75 to make the final 8

It was Carlton or GWS for my last spot in the bottom 4.

They've lost Jarrad Waite and Jeff Garlett so I'm not sure

who is going to kick their sausage rolls this year.

Jamison and Judd are another year on as well.

I also think they're weak down back.

Anyways, here's hopingbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Mick has done a bang up job re-building that team

• Like 1

Mick has done a bang up job re-building that team

And who can forget from March last year :

"Clock is ticking for hardened Blues, says Malthouse

HAVING made the premiership clock famous in his tenure at Collingwood, Carlton coach Mick Malthouse

says the Blues are "approaching" their window to strike for a flag".

Well I haven't.

Thirteenth wasn't itfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Ed's like a dog with a bone on this one.

Swans academy will destroy the game, says Collingwood president Eddie McGuire

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has warned Sydney's youth academy threatens to "destroy the game".

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-academy-will-destroy-the-game-says-collingwood-president-eddie-mcguire-20150205-1378h3.html

• Like 1

Jeez

Sylvia has been a real dissppointment for the Dockers.

Ron19, your thoughts?

Fremantle Dockers midfielder Colin Sylvia sent back to train with Peel Thunder

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/fremantle-dockers/fremantle-dockers-midfielder-colin-sylvia-sent-back-to-train-with-peel-thunder-20150205-137gxs.html

You beat me to this,well I'm disapointed but hopefully he'll get his act together and reach the std of fitness required before the main season starts then be able to train with the main squad.That is possible if he applies himself.

• Like 2

He should take a leaf out of this blokes book.

attachicon.gifSandilands.JPG

Ross Lyon says Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands can surprise the competition and play on beyond 2015.

Sandilands is playing on a one-year contract this season but is coming off an excellent 2014 in which he won his fourth All Australian honour.

After an injury-free pre-season, Sandilands played 23 games last year, which was his first season of 20-plus matches since 2010.

He also came second in the best and fairest to Nat Fyfe.

Lyon said the 32-year-old believed he could go on into 2016 - and possibly beyond.

"I think he'll surprise a few with his longevity," Ross said, as part of AFL Media's #AskTheCoach series.

"I'm sure he's thinking he's got a few more years yet.

Only 32?

Keep him on a reduced workload and he could go a few more years

• Like 1

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has warned Sydney's youth academy threatens to "destroy the game".

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-academy-will-destroy-the-game-says-collingwood-president-eddie-mcguire-20150205-1378h3.html

Jesus, listen to Eddie! father son rule worked fine for them and i didn't hear him yapping on back then

Swans have had one year of academy picks.

AFL introduced a new system, so anyone else can bid on the academy player. If they bid more, they can have them.

Simples.

The academy system is great for the game in NSW and Queensland. if anything it should be ramped up X 10.

Eddie is good for Collingwood, a snarly cattle dog really. Like to nip the heels and run away.

But when it comes to the protection and long term thinking for the game he is more like a 3 legged pug with limited learning capability.

Every player NSW and Queensland put into an academy, that is one less player league/Union/Soccer has to choose from. IMO, Soccer is the biggest threat.

NSW and QLD simply do not have the history of Australian rules football the other states have and they don't have the base clubs and systems other states have.

Incentive is everything, and without some type of 'reward' why would NSW or QLD develop players?

This is where Eddie misses the point. The academies can bring hundreds more players into a system where they might not otherwise be. Forget the addition of a couple of former players sons joining the academy. that's just a smoke screen.

• Like 2

Jesus, listen to Eddie! father son rule worked fine for them and i didn't hear him yapping on back then

AFL introduced a new system, so anyone else can bid on the academy player. If they bid more, they can have them.

Simples.

The academy system is great for the game in NSW and Queensland. if anything it should be ramped up X 10.

Eddie is good for Collingwood, a snarly cattle dog really. Like to nip the heels and run away.

But when it comes to the protection and long term thinking for the game he is more like a 3 legged pug with limited learning capability.

Every player NSW and Queensland put into an academy, that is one less player league/Union/Soccer has to choose from. IMO, Soccer is the biggest threat.

NSW and QLD simply do not have the history of Australian rules football the other states have and they don't have the base clubs and systems other states have.

Incentive is everything, and without some type of 'reward' why would NSW or QLD develop players?

This is where Eddie misses the point. The academies can bring hundreds more players into a system where they might not otherwise be. Forget the addition of a couple of former players sons joining the academy. that's just a smoke screen.

I always thought that Sheeds, eccentric bugger that he is, saw the bigger picture.

Something Ed boasts about, but it seems only if Collingwood benefit directly.

Edited by Will27

He should take a leaf out of this blokes book.

attachicon.gifSandilands.JPG

Ross Lyon says Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands can surprise the competition and play on beyond 2015.

Sandilands is playing on a one-year contract this season but is coming off an excellent 2014 in which he won his fourth All Australian honour.

After an injury-free pre-season, Sandilands played 23 games last year, which was his first season of 20-plus matches since 2010.

He also came second in the best and fairest to Nat Fyfe.

Lyon said the 32-year-old believed he could go on into 2016 - and possibly beyond.

"I think he'll surprise a few with his longevity," Ross said, as part of AFL Media's #AskTheCoach series.

"I'm sure he's thinking he's got a few more years yet.

Only 32?

Keep him on a reduced workload and he could go a few more years

The thing that bothers me with Sandi, is he has had a lot of foot injuries the last few years. And at over 110 kg's, that's

a lot of stress on his feet.

Would love to see the big fella rest in the foward pocket and clunk a few.

• Like 1

Simples.

It's a little more than just the highest bidder gets the crown. Currently (and this is Emperor McGuire's gripe), if a team wants an academy player, they go with their bid, let's say pick 2, but the academy players 'team' has a lower end pick in the order of the draft, let's say pick 18. The academy players team gains the player with pick 18. A pretty sweet, yet fair, deal given that the academy players team has pretty heavily invested with that player.

Up until a week ago, this would have been the same for 2015, seems Emperor McGuire's toys out of the cot nonsense has been somewhat given into by the AFL, with the boffins developing an almost stock exchange'esque commodity points based index for Academy AND Father/Son selections..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-27/new-player-bidding-system-close

Emperor McGuire conveniently forgets his previous attempts to circumvent the academy system..

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/news/poaching-pies-enrage-swans/story-e6frg7mo-1225703310738

• Like 1