Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

45 minutes ago, BookMan said:

IF THE AFL is looking for evidence to support scheduling a Thursday night final, it's arrived in the form of mega TV ratings.

The historic clash between West Coast and the Western Bulldogs was the highest rated game of the season so far with a peak national audience of 1.564 million free-to-air viewers on the Seven Network.

Eagles v Bulldogs: How the fans saw it

Another 420,000 viewers watched on Fox Footy, according to ratings data released Friday morning.

This doesn't take into account viewers who streamed the game to their mobile devices on the official AFL Live app.

Playing a final for the first time in the Thursday night timeslot was only possible thanks to the controversial 'bye weekend' after round 23.

The AFL introduced the weekend off to ensure teams wouldn't rest players on mass in the final home and away round. 

But it's had a number of flown-on effects including primetime slots for the EJ Whitten Legends Game and Women's All-Star Match.

Teams have also benefited by giving injured players longer recovery time, allowing a number of stars to play when they otherwise may not have. 

It remains to be seen if qualifying final winners are disadvantaged by playing only one game before another fortnight's rest.

The AFL has said it will review the success or otherwise of the bye weekend once the entire finals series is completed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-09/ratings-say-thursday-night-final-is-a-hit

I think last nights TV ratings will have the AFL continue with the bye next year. 

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

BookMan

If the Hawks lose tonight, can you see the Bulldogs have a chance against them next week?

I'd say the doggies are more likely to beat the Hawks than Geelong at this stage of the season...but they could beat both of them. The younger bodies and running game, with their intensity at the ball should see Hawthorn tiring late in the third. Shut down a couple of key Hawk players and the game is for the taking.

The doggies started the game against West Coast with more than a few nerves and butchered some goals early on....I don't think it will happen next game for them like that.

The Dogs are a good team...if not for injuries...maybe top 3 this year

I'm interested tonight how the Umps pay penalties against hawthorn...Niggly ones in their defense when they chop arms and hold on just a little too long...and their forwards playing for frees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

I found this article on AFL.com. Swans and Giants are very close

AGE PROFILE

List managers often talk about the 'age profile' of their squad and how important it is to get the balance right when contending for the premiership. Hawthorn's 2015 Grand Final team had an average age of 27 years and 304 days, proving that experience is important when it comes to performing on the biggest stage.

Here's how each finals team, based on average age (from oldest to youngest), stacks up this season:

Hawthorn: 27 years, 206 days

North Melbourne: 27 years, 188 days

Geelong: 26 years, 175 days

West Coast: 26 years, 161 days

Adelaide: 25 years, 200 days

Greater Western Sydney: 25 years, 166 days

Sydney Swans: 25 years, 141 days

Western Bulldogs: 24 years, 146 days

Still surprising that GWS has more experience than Sydney game wise...Sydney has some long serving players...

The lack of experience for Sydney is why I am not sure they can win this year. A loss to GWS, with the youngsters experiencing nerves, could be a good thing for Sydney. I'd rather they get some experience pre GF with losing their nerve on the big stage, as I said before. 

5 minutes to go, in a close game, Dean Towers OFF the field!!

Well if there wasn't any interest in AFL X its just got more interesting..an entrepreneur has lodge court action against the AFL, claims that they have ripped off his idea over X he says he had taken the model to TV and the AFL even had some amateur teams play a game and had it video taped....back in 2014, was having on going discussions with the AFL then the AFL stopped communicating with him.

Meanwhile Soccer Australia says its the first there heard of AFL X played on a soccer field, they say its out of the question that the AFL would be able to get ground sharing rights as they say there just isn't enough grounds available now, of course the AFL if they did manage to get the game up and running wouldn't be mucking around on the burbs paddocks there going to want AAMI park and the likes, the northern states have Rugby grounds and we even have a few nice ones on the posh side of town....you know queen and country esquire folk live over there....

6 hours ago, joboss said:

Got up this morning after a nice sleep in,

Errrr,,,,,, can still smell dog poo..

Feel lucky that that I have the Doggies at $4.50 in a compensatory mutlibet,

Now just need Hawthorn, Sydney and the Crows to win to come out in front.

Simmos OK, but I think he needs to harden up and practice a passion speech.

I think it was a good tackling game, the Dogs were furious but the Weagles were like a bunch of nervous nellies.

I think North may wreak your weekend son....that duck is full of rocket fuel and every man and his dog has a tape of the way the Hawks and then was it the Eagles? took apart the Crows...

For the guys that are not in Melbourne its been raining on and off all dam day its a day we only get once a year.......pencil in the Hawks i would think the night will be for a hard close in battle the type the Hawks are good at.....

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I think North may wreak your weekend son....that duck is full of rocket fuel and every man and his dog has a tape of the way the Hawks and then was it the Eagles? took apart the Crows...

If that happens and the Roo's bounce about,,, I will be happy for FJ.  I think he is marooned somewhere in the Pacific.

Great finish to the game. Topped off by watching the smugly smirking Smith miss a sitter...oh the joy!

Watched the game with Chimpy and a Carlton supporter and his GF down at a Suk pub...Happy hours on the Brothers Toffee Apple cider.

Despite him being a Carlton supporter he was a good bloke who shared an equal dislike of Hawthorn.  Might even watch the Sydney game tomorrow with him. 

After the game I stopped in the same soi, at my favourite japanese bakery in Bkk..i grabbed 5 croquette rolls for taking home...They really are delicious.

After a bowl of street noodles we decided on a walk through Soi Cowboy..Chimps left us at the Cockatoo bar to join Chooks and Joboss....while the 3 of us continued our walk down Soi...As always, my handsomeness was on display for all to see.

The only blight on the night was when i realized I had left my 5 Croquettes on the table at the noodle stall!! I really was looking forward to those...

• Like 2

Don’t fret BM.    :D

Chimpy noticed that in your excitement of the anticipated threesome with Carlton mate and GF that you had forgotten your 5 Croquettes and he has passed them on to Flotty and she/he will bring them over later. Flotty has her/his own key to your man cave. There should be a Croquette each for breakfast.  :coffee1:  :cheesy:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joboss said:

Don’t fret BM.    :D

Chimpy noticed that in your excitement of the anticipated threesome with Carlton mate and GF that you had forgotten your 5 Croquettes and he has passed them on to Flotty and she/he will bring them over later. Flotty has her/his own key to your man cave. There should be a Croquette each for breakfast.  :coffee1:  :cheesy:

I hope Flotty doesn't nibble my Croquettes!

10 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Found a very clear picture for a free live stream of tonights game. Only problem was the commentary is in French. Good to see Aussie Rules is popular in France

What a hard match.   Le Francais commentators would never have seen so much claret flowing on a sporting field.

If the game is catching on in France, we might even see a few more Monsieur LaCras giving it a try.   The Frogs would feel right at home at the Brissy Lions, as their team song is to the tunes of The French National Anthem, 'La Marseillaise'.

Gil 'Gillotine' McLachlin should make this a priority.   It could be the start of a new revolution.  Vive Aussie Rules.!!!

e300a3efe64baa9a4a4d5bb611716471.jpg

• Like 2

A good and tough final that's for sure.

Was reading some articles his morning and was surprised (in hindsight I shouldn't have been) to

see Cyril named in the best 5 players for the Hawks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cyril fan and I know certain sections of the media have a hard-on for him, but <deleted>, he had

9 possession with 2 goals. I would've thought a fair game at best. It's not like he had a million possessions and tackle either.

And the guy they kept comparing him to last night, Motlop had more possessions and also kicked 2 goals (different position I know),

keeps getting told he had to lift. Which I thought was correct.

Cyril was ranked 15th out of 22 in the points system. 

I guess one good thing was that Smith missed or I reckon Bruce might've had a coronary and died.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ozzydom said:

Will sure take some creative accounting for Collingwood to fit all their purchases in the salary cap.

Collingwood have also said they want to talk to Ivan Maric and Nick Dal Santo as well.

Bucks must really be feeling the heat about making the top 8 next year.

• Like 1

Come on Sydneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chimps and me are off to the pub soon to meet the Carlton supporter and watch the game...

Not feeling confident at all...we will see how the first quarter goes...

I have a date after...It will be street noodles or Rooftop dining, depending on the result.

• Like 1