Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

13 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I thought you must have forgotten to put your tip in again. Get the away team. Well done 2/2

No sir.....i was waylaid over the drama of said house hold fridge going into spasm's on thus night when i got home...the frezzer had karked it good and proper..so i cooked up some food for me and the dog still a bucket load of stuff went into the bin...by the time i had regained total control of my stressed out sensors i realizied i missed the cut off to tipping so i jumped on line to fill the rest out....

I would have been torn bettween Tigers and Pies....i thought the Tigers not so hot against the Blues  where the Pies were unlucky to loose...so i would have taken the Pies by 10 points anyway...

Normaly im a wrap for the Swans too....unfortantly there in rebuild mode it was heart breaking taking the Crows i certianly dont belive all the BS about them being a contedner this year...

And more drama followed last night...the top half of my 18 month old fridge died a death too...i couldnt have a cold beer with the game so had to open a bottle of wine instead  and you know you have to drink the lot it dont stay well keeping it for next week...i slept like a baby last night...

And this morning another bucket full of food hit the dirt bin, cho cho has a steak i was going to have tonight for his dinner i will just eat out, Westinghouse service guy told me this morning my Thailand built fridge will be colected next week with  loan fridge replacement untill its repaired......ummm....

• Like 2

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-apologises-after-scolding-afl-cointosser/news-story/bd9a270fd364bb4b96945896ab418dd6

How many times now?....you cant tell he grew up in Brodie hey? Broadmeadows for non Melbourniets....ummm its like the getto part of Detriot...ho its all a guetto you say...sorry sir...East LA? naahhhh its Latino heaven there...not slumb heaven...i did like that movie Born in East LA....Brodie use to resemble something like the Gaza strip after an Isrealie raid....starting to move up in the world as its surrounded by nice new b urbs these days but not when Ed lived there...

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

At least Sam Newman doesn't pretend to disguise the fact that he is a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot.   He accepts that when he passes from this world, he will burn forever more in the fires of hell.

Then there's Eddie MCG.   He so often claims the moral high ground on a broad range of social issues, but the twin-horned monster that lurks deep inside his soul all-too-often escapes to expose the screaming hypocrite he knows he is.

I'm gonna buy the fool this t-shirt, so he doesn't have to repeat himself ad nauseam.

B1qmQK-r4OS__CLa_2140,2000_61ou6VkdMZL_png_0,0,2140,2000+0_0,0_0,2140_0,2000_0__UX522_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Radar501 said:

At least Sam Newman doesn't pretend to disguise the fact that he is a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot.   He accepts that when he passes from this world, he will burn forever more in the fires of hell.

Then there's Eddie MCG.   He so often claims the moral high ground on a broad range of social issues, but the twin-horned monster that lurks deep inside his soul all-too-often escapes to expose the screaming hypocrite he knows he is.

I'm gonna buy the fool this t-shirt, so he doesn't have to repeat himself ad nauseam.

B1qmQK-r4OS__CLa_2140,2000_61ou6VkdMZL_png_0,0,2140,2000+0_0,0_0,2140_0,2000_0__UX522_.jpg

Haaahaaahaaaahaaahaaaa.....Brodie guy through and through.......the drop kicks off the world...

Well gangsters

Another round and another heap of upsets.

Gazman and  Bigwazz both tipped 6 this week with

Bigwazz getting the Cadbury's for being closest to the margin.

Gazman has gone to the lead with Bigwazz on 2nd by percentage.

The end:smile:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Well gangsters

Another round and another heap of upsets.

Gazman and  Bigwazz both tipped 6 this week with

Bigwazz getting the Cadbury's for being closest to the margin.

Gazman has gone to the lead with Bigwazz on 2nd by percentage.

The end:smile:

Hey not so fast there WILL.......dont i get the Pies ? that makes it 6 for me too.....which should move me up just above you dear sir....

Who is our Tipping commisoner here?

5 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Hey not so fast there WILL.......dont i get the Pies ? that makes it 6 for me too.....which should move me up just above you dear sir....

Who is our Tipping commisoner here?

Mate

I'm just going off of the ladder (the one posted by Radar).

I know the AFL website has been playing up all day though.

I also remember Ripstanley posting something about what happens if you don't put your tips in?

Anyway, Chooks is the administrator so any appeals need to be lodged to him:tongue:

• Like 2

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes for Round 2 of AFL action

DISLIKES

1 THE BIGGEST LOSER I

Essendon. The worst nightmare was played out against a committed St Kilda, plunging the Bombers into an early-season crisis. Coach John Worsfold won’t be sacked because of Saturday’s loss, but he will be if losses stack up. Another wasted season won’t be acceptable.

The first half was a rabble. No spirit and no confidence.

The second half was much better, but a half of footy doesn’t cut it. So, what does Worsfold do? He has to generate belief and morale as a priority and look at all levels of preparation. Football is mental, as former Bomber Brendon Goddard indicated post-match, and the current mindset points to a lack of care and connectivity.

That’s either between the players or between the players and coach.

Selection integrity is front and square this week. Does Worsfold back in players such as David Myers, David Zaharakis, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Mark Baguley to turn it around, or dump them with the edict — you don’t perform, you don’t play.

And now that James Hird has bobbed his head up again — never say never, he said — it makes it all a little complicated.

2 THE BIGGEST LOSER II

Melbourne. There are two areas of concern for coach Simon Goodwin, let alone being winless after two rounds.

The Demons built a tough game based on contested ball and lost the contested- possession count just once in their first 24 matches in 2018.

They have now lost the contested-possession count in three consecutive matches, starting with the preliminary final demolition by West Coast.

The other concern is the dysfunctional forward line.

They have scored 15 goals from 118 entries in the first two weeks. The No.1 forward Tom McDonald has one goal from his past three matches, and the small forwards, including Alex Neal-Bullen, Charlie Spargo, Jay Lockhart and Tom Sparrow have combined for just two goals.

More about Christian Petracca to come.

3 THE BIGGEST LOSER III

Richmond. Alex Rance first, then Jack Riewoldt for a month and Jack Grimes for a week — and it lost on Thursday night playing what it describes as the “Richmond way”.

Dustin Martin is paid $1.2 million a year and played like a $500,000 player. He has to involve himself in the game, as pointed out by Leigh Matthews on Channel 7 yesterday.

“He looks like he’s off the ball when it comes to him being destructive,” Matthews said. “His ball-winning and ability to fend off the tackle and get into space and create that Richmond overlap run, we’re not seeing at the moment.”

Because Martin doesn’t really defend and Tommy Lynch is one of the worst defensive forwards in the competition, when both are in the forward 50m it can create an issue.

4 THE BIGGEST LOSER IV

Sydney. There’s an interesting fact about teams being 0-2 and not making the eight, but the Swans spit in the face of that fact.

From 2010, only three of the 49 teams that have started 0-2 have made the top eight.

But look at Sydney. It has made the finals the past six times it has started 0-2.

That said, the question is: Is it an end of an era at the Swans? They have rebuilt their squad on the run and on Friday night fielded the sixth-youngest team in Round 2.

The worry is the reliance on Lance Franklin — when do we not say that? — the lost dominance at the SCG and the sudden easier avenue to goal for their opposition. Their opposition has scored from 46 per cent of its entries in 2019, ranking the Swans 15th.

5 THE BIGGEST LOSER V

North Melbourne. Why do we do predictions? Had Brad Scott’s team in the eight and the other Scott’s team outside the eight.

One team has beaten Melbourne and Collingwood, the other has lost to Fremantle and Brisbane. North needs everything to go right and everyone on the park. It was exposed on the outside by the Lions after quarter-time and critically in the final quarter.

The Roos need Ben Jacobs tagging — he would have got Lachie Neale yesterday — they need Trent Dumont playing and hunting the ball; they need Jed Anderson on deck; they need Mason Wood to become a consistent player; they need Robbie Tarrant to get match fit; they need a lively second tall forward.

They need a bit at the moment, the Kangas, because the assignment from here gets even more difficult.

6 THE BIGGEST LOSER VI

Eddie McGuire. His timing and delivery of “jokes” is the concern because he shouldn’t have to apologise as many times as he has in recent years for his lousy attempt at humour.

Everyone makes mistakes but, for a man of his standing, mistake upon mistake when opening his mouth isn’t unlucky. It’s a trend. The Swans want McGuire punished by the AFL and how that manifests itself will be intriguing.

Last week Richmond suspended a member for two years for using the word “monkey” in a social media post. McGuire, remember, has already referenced King Kong in a comment about Adam Goodes.

It’s not so much about what’s happened, it’s more what happens now and that’s squarely on the shoulders of AFL boss and McGuire’s great mate, Gillon McLachlan.

By the way, where’s the fun in having a crack at the coin tossers?

7 THE PETRACCA PUZZLE

Melbourne had picks two and three in the 2014 national draft and selected Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw.

At No.5, Collingwood selected Jordan de Goey, who plays a similar role to Petracca.

One of them is most exciting forward in the game, the other remains a work in progress. In the wet at Geelong, the Demons used Petracca as their go-to man.

He was the target 14 times inside 50, six more than any other Demon, yet the team didn’t score from one of those entries.

Petracca has the talent and if the Demons are to buck the trend of being 0-2, he has to elevate himself.

8 HEARTACHE IN ADELAIDE

One day after Jack Watts wrecked his ankle at Adelaide Oval and will likely miss most of the season, AFLW star Erin Phillips tore her ACL in the grand final at the same ground.

The Crows won, and congrats to them, but it was the scenes at the end that will be remembered most.

An astonishing crowd of 53,000 honoured Phillips as she was driven from the ground and, amid tears from her, players from both teams came and offered support.

It was a beautiful and despairing moment.

9 STRANGE DECISIONS

The deliberate out of bounds paid against Hawthorn’s Ricky Henderson in the third quarter was mystifying. He made an error by foot looking for James Cousins and it certainly wasn’t deliberate.

The free kick against James Worpel for walking through the centre circle in the final quarter was weird.

Is a free kick a little excessive when the umpire hadn’t started to walk in and bounce the ball? Reckon so.

And the free kick paid against James Sicily for manhandling — not punching or elbowing — the Western Bulldogs’ Josh Schache was a mind-boggling over-reaction to criticism of recent punching and bumping.

That was a disgraceful, match-defining free kick, and subsequent goal, for byplay that happens every game.

10 PIES’ APPEAL

Knock, knock. Who’s there? Yep, that will be the Magpies at AFL House in the morning when they lodge their appeal against the Mason Cox decision. The AFL will argue it was a headhigh hit, the Pies will argue Dylan Grimes ran into Cox, who is allowed to stand his ground surely. What’s he supposed to do? Move out of the way? Occasionally, a decision comes along which shakes the core of football and this certainly is one of them.

1 BULLOCKING BULLDOGS

They kicked nine goals in the final quarter after kicking seven in the first three quarters, and they kicked their last five goals in 10 minutes against a Hawthorn team missing a couple of soldiers because of injury.

From their 15 entries in the final quarter, they scored 12 times, which has probably never happened under Luke Beveridge at the Bulldogs. So much for the narrative the Bulldogs can’t score enough.

Of the nine goals, Josh Schache kicked three, although he didn’t deserve his last one against James Sicily.

But what a win it was and it just might be their best quarter since the last term of the 2016 Grand Final.

2 THE CAPTAIN AND HARBROW

They weren’t supposed to win a game, they were young and lacking leaders, yet they complete Round 2 with a magnificent win over Fremantle.

Came from behind and it was the skipper, David Swallow, who had the cool head to kick the go-ahead goal with four minutes to play. He gets the pats on the back, but it was Jarrod Harbrow who deserves best-on-ground votes. Gee, he’s been a stalwart for the Suns.

He had 32 possessions and seven inside-50s, and tellingly took crucial marks in the final minutes.

How special is football when former Docker Sam Collins, who was at Werribee last year, took the final mark of the game, deep in the Dockers’ forward 50m.

3 SAINT DEFENCE

Amid the injuries, coach Alan Richardson preached opportunity and unity and the group took heed.

The Bombers were poor, part of the reason being the Saints didn’t allow them to explode from the back half. The switch was shut down, the all-ground defence evident.

Essendon started with the ball in the back half 68 times for only nine points on the scoreboard. Defence is king at St Kilda. It still allows an average 54 inside-50s, as it did in 2018, but it has curtailed scoring from those entries.

4 TOUGHENED LIONS

Comebacks with this mob have been rare in the past decade, but these Lions never give up.

After being opened up in the first quarter, they lifted their contested work, which eventually opened up the ground for them. After quarter-time, they were plus 46 in uncontested possessions and took 94 marks to North’s 43 and dominated the 50m entries 52-29.

Oscar McInerney’s third quarter was colossal and Charlie Cameron’s fourth quarter matchwinning.

Beware these Lions. They can kill teams on the outside, they score and if they square the contested ball, they will be in every game they play.

5 LUKE DAHLHAUS

That’s two from two against Collingwood and Melbourne for Geelong.

As much as the Dees have a dysfunctional forward line, the Cats are the opposite. Talk about spirit and care.

When Tom Hawkins dished to Jordan Clark, it highlighted the selfless Cats.

Dahlhaus has fitted in superbly to the forward group. He has rediscovered his best form, a hard-nosed and selfless footballer, and is also finding the scoreboard. He kicked two goals last year for the Bulldogs and already has three this season.

6 JACK CRISP

In a team sport, there are standouts and Collingwood has an abundance of them.

On the back flank, Crisp is one of them. He had 32 disposals against the Tigers and, in a defensive six packed with interceptors, led the Magpies with eight intercept possessions. He wins the ball and moves it quickly, having 533m gained.

Saying Crisp is an elite footballer is not breaking news, but he has elevated yet again. In 2018, he averaged 23 disposals, 387m gained. This season, he is averaging 29 disposals and 445m gained. Part of the Dayne Beams trade to Brisbane, Crisp could be the best “steak knives” ever.

7 TOM HICKEY

Who needs Nic Nat when Hickey plays the kind of football he did on Saturday night?

Coming off a “mare” in Round 1 — he had two disposals against Brisbane — Hickey responded with 18 disposals and 135 SuperCoach points. What he did, and which Nic Nat doesn’t enough, is command the air around the ground. West Coast won the contested-mark count 20-8 and Hickey took five of them. Saints fans may well ask where that form was for five years.

8 TRAVIS BOAK

The renaissance of the former skipper, and Tommy Rockliff, has been a beacon for the kids at Port Adelaide.

And it’s been thoroughly enjoyable to see Boak back in the middle. He has spent 76 per cent of time playing in the midfield after spending 23 per cent of his time in the middle in 2018 and 37 per cent in 2017.

As a forward-mid in those years, he failed to reach 30 disposals in a game last year.

He has returned 34 and 33 disposals in his first two matches and shares the league lead for tackles with 17.

9 CHAYCE JONES

The Crows have found one here and, if you want to compare, he has the hallmarks of a young Rory Sloane.

Against the Swans, Jones led the Crows for score involvements from just 12 disposals.

Like Sloane as a youngster, he’s all heart and soul and lacks the polish by foot. He was a midfielder in the unders, but is playing forward for the Crows. In time, a move to the midfield will happen.

10 WHAT NEXT?

And what does Round 2 set up? The 2-0 Dogs play the glowing Gold Coast at home, the 2-0 Saints play the 1-1 Fremantle away, the 2-0 Lions play the 2-0 Port Adelaide at the Gabba and then we have the so-called heavyweights — Collingwood v West Coast, Adelaide v Geelong and the Giants v Richmond. There’s also the struggling Bombers against the struggling Demons on Friday night, and the 0-2 Blues can beat the 0-2 Swans on Saturday. The AFL gets kicked about its fixture every year, but Round 3 looms as a ripper. Yes, it’s only Round 3, but best we buckle up this weekend.

57 minutes ago, Gazman1 said:

Well all I can say is early ripe early rotten, I remember my first year of introduction to the group. Not being a resident of Thailand but my brother did have an affect on me coming here. Glad I did although so many of you are flung far and wide across the country.
Anyway my first few years I did alright actually finished in the final 3 one year beating my brother. Last couple of years could not pick a nose.
But here I am on top of the ladder, the stairway to heaven as Alex would put it but my stairway is not attached to lovely legs.
Now just to add a tech bit here, my MacBook Pro has a battery swelling problem. Earlier mackbooks and later ones it is easy to change the battery but for mine 2014 to 2016 they have glued the battery in. In my earlier days I would have attempted the whole removal and mess around thing but maybe I buy new and give old one to Thai step son
Anyway I am happy to be No 1 and relish the applause but I do not expect to be there at round 22

Use the kitchen knife to get the dam thing out....failing that theres an Apple store on the river...nice day trip for the family....

Melbourne. There are two areas of concern for coach Simon Goodwin, let alone being winless after two rounds.

The Demons built a tough game based on contested ball and lost the contested- possession count just once in their first 24 matches in 2018.

They have now lost the contested-possession count in three consecutive matches, starting with the preliminary final demolition by West Coast.

The other concern is the dysfunctional forward line.

They have scored 15 goals from 118 entries in the first two weeks. The No.1 forward Tom McDonald has one goal from his past three matches, and the small forwards, including Alex Neal-Bullen, Charlie Spargo, Jay Lockhart and Tom Sparrow have combined for just two goals.

More about Christian Petracca to come.

The guys played a better first half, there still under done and its obvious, also all the press preseason has gone to the young heads, plenty of time to turn it around but it wont be for a while i dont see them winning the next 2 games either unless the Bombers really do stink, they WILL put in a good second half of the season to make the finals but alas finnishing 6,7 or 8 wont get you to far in sept....they WILL do some growing up this year, as for the inns and not scoring all the mids pretty much stink at the moment they always under pressure so how do you expect to drop it on someones chest? as for the forwards its a bomb in and hope for the best few are leading...gees that like basic stuff...then its coming down in defense faster than we can defend due to the mids basically stinking....to be fair Port had something to prove and Cats are just purring nicely who in there right mind would discount the Cats with there midfield?

13 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Morning lads... that was all a bloody nightmare on Friday night wasn't it? Surprised NSWPD's SRG wasn't called to the SCG on Friday night, biggest robbery in the state's history!

The umpiring decisions aside, Swans are looking <deleted> ordinary. At 0-2 it's not panic stations and I'd argue it won't be even if we start 0-6 like we did back in '17, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the boys are playing this long bomb to 3 on 1 packs, it didn't work the first 300 times you tried it, why the <deleted> do you think it will work on the 301st time! Lower your <deleted> eyes and hit the target 20m in front of you, turn and go... 

And Eddie, oh Eddie, how many times does he have to take a shot at Sydney before someone taps him on the shoulder and tells him to <deleted> off back to the Holden Centre for good? He came after us in 2013 when we jagged Buddy from nowhere and CoLA got banned, he came after Goodesy in 2015 and got a stern talking to, now he goes after our #1 Ticket Holder and gets told to stand down for a day. I mean. This <deleted> guy. Move over Eric Moussambani, McGuire's the new Eel... Eddie the Eel.. Slippery Rex Hunt...

His apology was as empty and hollow as the space that used to be occupied by his brain was, completely scripted and clinical. 

I'm pretty sure he wasn't even told to stand down.

He magnanimously offered.

What a guy!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Sorry ALEX 

Once you get 5 tips yourself the extra tip you gained from forgetting to tip is lost.  That is why you only got 5.

yes i just seen it....in the rules of tipping....buggers they wanna kick us dees while were down..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't even told to stand down.

He magnanimously offered.

What a guy!

Ed and the former Bulldog Darcey have a morning radio show that my radio alarm clock is set too...they shit me so much i get up quick...well Ed im assuming was going to apoligize for a fourth time at 7 am this morning some hooo hur from Darcy about an inportant topic to be talked about......sorry i missed his groveling i was well and truly on the road by then.....

Ed is a DILL i mean hanging it on people willie nillie brain not engaged before putting mouth into gear....Caroline Wilson suggested he donate a sum of money to the charity the Swan coin tosser was involded with...and that is a good idea...Meanwhile deadbeats and no hopers tune into the ed and darcy show so im guessing he would have a partizan following there....you know...dopes stick together..

• Like 2

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Two

Titus O’Reily 

Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday, you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

Richmond (66) v Collingwood (110)

Once again, Round Two showed us that round one form does not hold for the year and often doesn’t hold for a week. 

In a terrifying display, hopes that the Pies’ run to last year’s Grand Final were a fluke now seem false. A Collingwood Premiership is a clear and present danger, and I hope ASIO are treating it as such.

Unlike last year’s Prelim, Richmond did show up for large parts of the game but didn’t have the answers for the Pies’ midfield or Jordan De Goey’s five goals.

Adding to the happiness for Pies supporters, this is the second game in a row they’ve got through with no injuries. The odds of that were almost as high as Eddie McGuire getting through a season without insulting broad sections of the community.

The Tigers have certainly started the year with the worst luck, losing Alex Rance for the season last week and Jack Riewoldt for four games in this one.

Even more worrying is the Tigers lack of forward pressure, once so strong it could turn coal into diamonds, it’s now about as intense as a weekend at a spa resort.

Getting Tom Lynch seems an even greater move now, as the Tigers try to figure out how to get their spirit of 2017 back with both Rance and Riewoldt missing.

Sydney (62) v Adelaide (88)

As mentioned, Eddie McGuire started the game by insulting Cynthia Banham a double amputee and the Sydney Swans number one ticket holder for the way she tossed the coin. 

Now, if someone else had said these comments and then explained they were unaware of the situation they might get the benefit of the doubt, but Eddie seems to be insulting every group in society like it’s a set you have to collect.

He also leans pretty heavily on the ‘it was just a joke’ defence. Sometimes with him, you might buy that but when he used it as a defence for his Caroline Wilson drowning comments and his ‘King Kong gaffe’, it tends to weaken it for when he perhaps was just poorly executed a joke.

That said, I know a lot of people who can poorly execute a joke and still not insult whole groups.

The Caroline Wilson comments are an example of something that wasn’t a joke.  When you listen to them again, it’s very clear that everyone discussing it except Damien Barrett, really don’t like her.

In this new case, who knows? Maybe he didn’t know; perhaps he should have known. 

In life, after a while, you start to care less what someone’s motives are if they keep performing the same behaviour over and over again. It’s the impact that becomes important. 

Lucky for Eddie, the AFL and the people that employ him won’t even whack him with a wet lettuce leaf.

For the Swans, their best friend Eddie’s comments just added to a miserable night.

Sydney has started the season slowly before and come good; they may not even wake up until they get to 0-6. 

It wasn’t a complete disaster for the Swans, Franklin was much improved as was Josh Kennedy, but you don’t want to be heading into a Round Three clash against Carlton with the term ‘must win’ hanging over it.

For the Crows, losing at home last week was somewhat corrected as they got this one on the road. The listless nature of last week’s performance seemed to be gone. 

It was hardly perfect but when it counted the Crows were almost as tough as their AFLW side but probably lacked their women’s team skill. 

Essendon (65) v St Kilda (76)

I felt something for Bomber’s fans on the weekend that I’d never felt before, sympathy.

Perhaps I’m getting old and soft, or my own team’s struggle makes me understand the plight of others better. IT worries me I might be developing empathy.

Whatever it was, it was fleeting but still required me to shower constantly for the next 48 hours.

All you need to know about the Bombers performance was encapsulated in the moment when Matt Guelfi and Kyle Langford walked off to the bench while the ball was in play just meters from them, letting St Kilda take the ball forward unopposed. 

It was one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen on a footy field, and I saw Mark ‘Jacko’ Jackson play.

Not that you can blame everything on Guelfi and Langford, they were just a bit more obvious in their lack of effort than their teammates were.

Adding to the problems was a skill level that was reminiscent of a junior football game. It’s rare to see that many blunders outside a One Nation media conference.

It meant the Saints, who should be acknowledged for standing up well when things got close, just had to make fewer mistakes, and this proved to be easier as things went along.

The win means the Saints are now sitting 5thon the ladder, a statement I didn’t think I’d be able to write at any point this season. A run at the Premiership is a sure thing for them now.

Port Adelaide (88) v Carlton (72)

Carlton are no longer as awful as they once were, yet they still can’t win, which is an important stat in the AFL.

I’m not as clever as Champion Data, who will probably tell you ‘meters gained’ or ‘disposal efficiency when kicking to a player with a sleeve tattoo’ are more important, but I’ve always ranked wins pretty highly.

You could make a strong argument that if you win every game in a season, you’d have a decent chance of being premiers.

The performance was pretty impressive from Carlton given it was in Adelaide, and they lost Charlie Curnow late in the first quarter, to what has turned out to be bone bruising.

If they keep performing well, I’m going to have to start saying nice things about the Blues, which will take a complete recalibrating of my world view.

Port had troubles of their own, with Jack Watts suffering a broken leg and dislocated ankle which sounds and looked incredibly painful. Karl Amon also spent much of the game on the bench with a knee injury. 

Coming off the win against Melbourne, Port got the job done without it looking pretty. 

It’s round two though, and already the war of attrition that is the season is starting to grab hold of a few clubs. The AFL should ban injuries.

Geelong (126) v Melbourne (46)

Even the most pessimistic Dees fans probably didn’t think it was going to get this bad, this quickly. 

When you lose like this, everything is wrong. 

Geelong were terrific, displaying the look of a team that had trained in the offseason and was putting in effort.

No more was the difference between the teams reflect than the inside fifties.

Melbourne when inside their fifty 25 more times than Geelong. Yet kicked just six goals to the Cats twenty. 

Twenty-five more inside fifties! 

Melbourne kicked more goals in their 186 loss to Geelong in 2011.

Who knew that just bombing the ball into the forward line, often to a pack that contained more Cats would not work? That’s right everyone watching except the Melbourne players and coaching staff. 

And yes, everyone has pointed out to me in another sign, snow has already started falling in Victoria. I would prefer rocks started falling, to be honest, trapping me in a dark hole where no news of this AFL season could reach me.

I’m not giving up just yet though. Despite every temptation, I refrained from ordering my household staff to cut up my membership and have it couriered to the club.

Melbourne takes on the Bombers this week in the ‘Please we can’t be as bad as them’ Cup.

West Coast (104) v Greater Western Sydney (52)

West Coast unfurled their Premiership flag with their mascot swinging off the top of the stadium roof to deliver it. I haven’t seen someone that high at an Eagles game in some time.

Any concerns about a premiership hangover seem to have been swept aside with the Eagles taking care of the Giants.

With Luke Shuey dominating and kicking goals, Josh Kennedy returning and Dom Sheed driving them forward relentlessly, it felt like the premiership band were back together.

The Giants certainly felt the step up in class from Essendon to the Eagles, like going from a game of mini golf to the Masters in one week.

The Eagles’ win sets up a Grand Final replay on Saturday night against the Pies.

There was a great moment after the game when the Eagles and Giants players all linked arms to stand united against racism. It would be a great day when displays like that don’t even have to be taken. 

North Melbourne (87) v Brisbane (107)

It seemed midway through the third quarter, with a 22-point lead, that North had put their horror trip to Perth behind them.

The Kangaroos problems begun when the Lions began to cut down on their own mistakes and to fill the vacuum, the North players rushed in to make theirs.

Adding to that, Lachie Neale, with his 43 disposals, almost singlehandedly turned the game, making North’s midfield look like a line of people waiting for a bus.

To lead by 22 points in the third quarter but lose by 20 points tells you everything about how North has started the season. Lucky Brad Scott is there to turn things around.

Brisbane are now looking very good for such a young team. The Bulldogs-Lions Grand Final is going to be amazing this year. 

Hawthorn (87) v Western Bulldogs (106)

After a tough start to the season for many fans, this was the feel-good game we needed, with the Bulldogs producing what at times seemed like an unlikely victory.

We can’t talk about this game though without talking about the umpiring, of which some of it was, to put it mildly, perplexing. 

You know a decision is bad when you feel sorry for James Sicily. The one that occurred during the centre bounce was not soft, it wasn’t there. 

If they call those, then they’ll be forty free kicks before the opening bounce on Grand Final day when everyone bumps each other a bit.

The Bulldogs can only take what’s given to them, and it’s not their fault the umpires had been instructed by AFL House to ensure Hawthorn lost.

The Doggies have to be commended for getting back into the game after letting it slip and for the first time in some time, they showed some slick and enthusiastic ball movement.

Added to that the performance of Josh Schache and Bulldogs fans can have some hope for the year.

The Hawks can’t blame blowing a five-goal lead at three-quarter time solely on the umpires; they’d been giving up a lot of inside 50s all game.

But losing the momentum through those decisions put some context around this loss. 

Clarko’s coffee with Gil this week is going to have a lot of yelling.

Gold Coast (61) v Fremantle (58)

Ross Lyon has ensured any excitement building up around his side has dissipated by losing to the Gold Coast Suns in a match that at best could be described as mind-numbingly awful.

The Suns should have won by more, booting 7.19 in a display of goalkicking that made me wish I didn’t have access to Fox Footy.

Fremantle, on the other hand, produced fewer scoring shots than the Suns had behinds. That seems like a familiar story, even with Jesse Hogan and CamMcCarthy now in the side.

Despite the poor goalkicking, the Suns would be thrilled with the victory, after a good showing last week against the Saints.

Is it too early to say they’re not as bad as we thought they were? It probably is too early, but they’re starting to make a case that we’re all wrong about them being the worst side ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Fair warning to all.   Round 3 commences with Adelaide vs Geelong on THURSDAY 4th April 2019 at 7.50pm Australian Central Daylight Savings Time.   That's 8.20pm Melbourne time, Alex.

I don't wish to see anyone using poor organisational skills and forgetting to enter their tips on time as an excuse for their meager results.   As for my low numbers, well, I blame The Democrats.   For everything.

Oh, and Alex.   Daylight Savings finishes at 2.00am Sunday, 7th April, 2019.   That means turning the small hand on your clock BACK one hour.   Enjoy your bonus beauty sleep , Princess.

Well stated Radar. A great post. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Fair warning to all.   Round 3 commences with Adelaide vs Geelong on THURSDAY 4th April 2019 at 7.50pm Australian Central Daylight Savings Time.   That's 8.20pm Melbourne time, Alex.

I don't wish to see anyone using poor organisational skills and forgetting to enter their tips on time as an excuse for their meager results.   As for my low numbers, well, I blame The Democrats.   For everything.

Oh, and Alex.   Daylight Savings finishes at 2.00am Sunday, 7th April, 2019.   That means turning the small hand on your clock BACK one hour.   Enjoy your bonus beauty sleep , Princess.

Thanks there Radar...im on top of it now....it was my Thailand made doogie fridge that threw me out last week otherwise i would have had 6 and be sitting abover old WILL..... Westing house called me today they are giving me a brand spanking new fridge and taking the 18 month old one back and away...guess they will send it back to the factory in Chon Bury....

I did go out and buy monday night after work a new bar fridge...only needed it 3 nights...well once the new one turns up it will be used to keep the lemondate very cold and the odd corona...was a rather difficult choice.....white black or cheap stainless steel color....i opeted for the SS as it will end up outside with the BBQ when i get around to building it...

Dayight saving.....bastards extended it by a month or 2...goes on for ever now...just hate it...glad its almost over...5 god dam long months of it...fancy playing footy when daylight saving is on....

Anny one for tipping the Dee's this week? anyone game?

Swans away to the Blues wont be an easy one to pick either...

Or Port away to the Lions...

Or Pies at home to the Eagles...etc etc...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Thought I'd post a picture of my favourite sports presenter, Neroli Meadows.

IMG_4500.jpg

Very nice towel she is laying on wonder if i can get one like that at Big W?

Hope she washes her feet before getting ack into her car...the Audi SUV

• Haha 1