Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Dont agree....................i just dont......

And the reason i dont agree is....The Brand Australian Rules Football is rock soild, what isnt good about it is that if your not playing finals on a regular basis your almost a basket case, thats where i think something like a conference system would turn it around.

Codes can stand along side of each other, the only code that is going to explode here will be soccer but i dout it will be a threat to ARules, the attraction is seeing Real Madrid play in Melbourne, the opportunity to play overseas,for your country, when your 12 and your about to choose your sport your not thinking i could be the next Ranaldo and earn 350,000$ a week because if you were choosing the sport you play against the money you could earn Tennis would be up there big time.

No mate the kids play the game they like, soccer and rugby have salary caps too, Look at the US sport, basketball soccer baseball and football all coexist, what ARules needs is to create more winners within a season.

Kids are influenced to play a game they can try and where there are opportunities. The more opportunities you present people, the more will take the opportunities.

Look at the Jack brothers for Sydney. Their father was an AUstralian rep for Rugby League.

Offer well paid career opportunities and you get more talent.

Australia can't support all its codes. League and Union are the two most likely to suffer talent drain.

You cannot compare the US market with Australia. 300 million population versus 22 million

But you are....extra teams....we have 18 for 25 million people they have 32 NFL teams for 300 million people.

Like it or not sport is packaged for TV these days, im telling you the AFL needs to work out a way to have more winners, i think you seen a bit of NFL, same for all there codes casue they pretty much use the same system, there tv commentators are always going on about play off spots wild card spot and divisional championships and thats even before conference title and super bowl.

Supporters get sucked up into this world....just look at you guys in here with your tipping, make it interesting then kids will want to play it.

• Like 1

Still too many sides from Victoria.

Look at the WB's, they're flying and still can't get much more than 20 000 to a game.

North should've gone to Tassy when given the opportunity.

I agree with AlexRRR, just not enough talent to go around IMO.

• Like 2

Look at the WB's, they're flying and still can't get much more than 20 000 to a game.

I agree about sending a team to Tassie. Seems North and Hawks are playing there a bit anyways. Hawks 4 games and north 2 games? Having said that though, would a Tassie team average much more than 15,000 spectators? They are averaging 15-20,00 now

Crowd numbers can be a distraction of course. League and Union would kill for teams to average 20,000 a game.

In 2014, there were a staggering 14 NRL teams averaging under 20,000 per home game

AFL? Only Gold coast and GWS were under 20,000 per game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_football_code_crowds

I'm not sure about the talent issue. It seems to me there is more talent available than ever before. If the AFL pumps more money into Northern academies they will have hundreds more available players in the near future.

AFL has the money, best if they can grind down the ARL and Union codes, have players switch codes while young.

• Like 1

Kids are influenced to play a game they can try and where there are opportunities. The more opportunities you present people, the more will take the opportunities.

Look at the Jack brothers for Sydney. Their father was an AUstralian rep for Rugby League.

Offer well paid career opportunities and you get more talent.

Australia can't support all its codes. League and Union are the two most likely to suffer talent drain.

You cannot compare the US market with Australia. 300 million population versus 22 million

But you are....extra teams....we have 18 for 25 million people they have 32 NFL teams for 300 million people.

Like it or not sport is packaged for TV these days, im telling you the AFL needs to work out a way to have more winners, i think you seen a bit of NFL, same for all there codes casue they pretty much use the same system, there tv commentators are always going on about play off spots wild card spot and divisional championships and thats even before conference title and super bowl.

Supporters get sucked up into this world....just look at you guys in here with your tipping, make it interesting then kids will want to play it.

I don't think I am comparing the US market with the Australian market. You are mentioning the US market's ability to have multiple high level sports co -exist, all sharing large pieces or a large revenue pie, They can do that because of their population.

I'm merely speculating that the greater the job opportunity, the more talent the game can attract.

Even without extra teams, maybe there is a case for teams to have an increased salaray cap and more players on their rosters?

• Like 1

I agree about sending a team to Tassie. Seems North and Hawks are playing there a bit anyways. Hawks 4 games and north 2 games? Having said that though, would a Tassie team average much more than 15,000 spectators? They are averaging 15-20,00 now

Crowd numbers can be a distraction of course. League and Union would kill for teams to average 20,000 a game.

In 2014, there were a staggering 14 NRL teams averaging under 20,000 per home game

I'm not sure about the talent issue. It seems to me there is more talent available than ever before. If the AFL pumps more money into Northern academies they will have hundreds more available players in the near future.

AFL has the money, best if they can grind down the ARL and Union codes, have players switch codes while young.

But the bottom line is, that unless these sides can pull decent crowds, they're never going to be solvent.

I'm not sure of the figure, but I think I read somewehere that you need to attract 25 000 people to Etihaus

just to break even.

Off the top of my head, I reckon you could get rid of North, WB, GC and GWS for a start (sorry farmerjo).

Personally, I don't think you need 2 sides out of Qld and Sydney.

• Like 2

But the bottom line is, that unless these sides can pull decent crowds, they're never going to be solvent.

I'm not sure of the figure, but I think I read somewehere that you need to attract 25 000 people to Etihaus

just to break even.

Off the top of my head, I reckon you could get rid of North, WB, GC and GWS for a start (sorry farmerjo).

Not all individual clubs need to be making profit by crowds alone. The Media rights deal allows for the money to subsidize the game/club. It's all about providing product from that standpoint.

When the AFL completes its deal and owns 100% of Etihad stadium. will the cost/returns of a game being played there change? Not sure...

We come back to the Bulldogs...Now the most popular 'second' team... It is the underdog coming good stories the media and a lot of us love. No doubt they could have moved. North, probably should have moved somewhere. It wasn't long back that Hawthorn almost merged?

Gold Coast and GWS i would keep. The Gold Coast team has made some decent in roads on the Coast. Again, a terrific recruiting ground. GWS...they will get a following when success comes, which wont be long. Create a rivalry with the Swans and it will get plenty of local media attention...and again, they are in league heartland out that way. many parents would prefer their kids playing AFL over League these days

• Like 2

Silvagni should get banned for longer then that Fremantle has

many better players then him. Yes I am a Freo supporter

You might be interested in joining the tipping comp next year WhiteChristmas. Quite a few WA boys in it already

Chimpy Khun Will27 is the current tipping guru.

• Like 2

2 sides in each state including NT and Tassie then its a national competion.

And you can only recruit from within your state or territory.

That can't/wont work mate.

I know it cant work now,but could of before interstate teams arrived originally as everything was structured around zones.

You know i'm young but old fashioned when it comes to footytongue.png .

• Like 2

What u said before..(i couldnt find it)..about grassroots level and small clubs struggling. I agree this is an issue...

What are the general thoughts from everyone for the future of this situation?

Should there be bigger regional feeder clubs?

More money given to small comps and clubs?

WOW bookie your all fired up....you must be back in cooler Australia and regained your strength after a torrid several weeks with the TGF.

If someone is worth 3 million a season they can get it no limit on what a club pays a player that im aware of only problem would be the rest of the team wont be much left for any of them.

Once you kill the salary cap we will go back to the days when 3 teams rotated the premiership cup....do you want to see a Man United, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal type senerio?

Wasnt all that long ago that North under Barassi bought the best payers going around, at one point in time there reserves where better than Melbourne and a lot of other clubs most of the clubs had next to no chance of getting a Glendening or Blight.

What to do oh what to do????? I would like to see us go back to the under 19's and 17's i think clubs need something like an academy, aligned feeder clubs, clubs really do need to have control over there kids from a young age, giving up the reserves was a dumb move and looked like to me just to save money for some struggling clubs, The Hawks and North back in the 70's worked there reserves etc very well....Dermi ran around in the 2's for 50 to 60 games in fact a lot of hawks of the 80's spent a lot of time kicking dew of the grass.

WOW bookie your all fired up....you must be back in cooler Australia and regained your strength after a torrid several weeks with the TGF.

If someone is worth 3 million a season they can get it no limit on what a club pays a player that im aware of only problem would be the rest of the team wont be much left for any of them.

Once you kill the salary cap we will go back to the days when 3 teams rotated the premiership cup....do you want to see a Man United, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal type senerio?

Wasnt all that long ago that North under Barassi bought the best payers going around, at one point in time there reserves where better than Melbourne and a lot of other clubs most of the clubs had next to no chance of getting a Glendening or Blight.

What to do oh what to do????? I would like to see us go back to the under 19's and 17's i think clubs need something like an academy, aligned feeder clubs, clubs really do need to have control over there kids from a young age, giving up the reserves was a dumb move and looked like to me just to save money for some struggling clubs, The Hawks and North back in the 70's worked there reserves etc very well....Dermi ran around in the 2's for 50 to 60 games in fact a lot of hawks of the 80's spent a lot of time kicking dew of the grass.

• Like 1

just to break even.

But you need two sides so that there is a home game live in that state each week, and so that TV stations can show that game live back in Vic, WA, etc, wherever the other team is from.

I think the draft system works well.. evens it up for clubs.

I'm all for clubs having academies... If the club priority picks one of its own academy players then it can operate under the new system of giving up points based on where that player is picked at by another club.

Academies for clubs to have it as feeders for their top team would never work.

As for the salary cap. I don't want to see it become the richest clubs dominate forever, but, i do believe players have a right to earn what the market will pay. The CEOs of clubs are notrestricted by a salary cap are they?

A club can theoretically pay $3 million but what club would do that? makes no sense to give one player 30% of the cap

....you must be back in cooler Australia and regained your strength after a torrid several weeks with the TGF.

*ahem*

...A delightfully enjoyable month with the TGFs...

My turn next week....but i have only energy enough for one.....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2

my idea of an academy is another word for your under 15s 17s 19s etc, soccer clubs say in England offer a kid a spot in there youth teams if the kids good enough eventually they get offered a contract, other clubs can offer the kid a contract as well, in the US most players come through the college system, college football is actually almost as big as the NFL...its big time.

Since we dont have college system as in the US then a youth league is the way to go which means getting back to what we use to have, the draft can be for whats not in the youth leagues and mature players coming form the VFL etc..

I never was a fan of scraping reserves etc, but having said all of that the system for drafting isnt bad it doesnt needs fixing.

Why the AFL meddled with father son rules is beyond me....your dad played 100 plus games for the swans then your eligable if the swans dont want you into the draft you go, if the swans take you they loose there lowest pick this bullshit they got in place is rubbish and you know me by now...im tired of then forever TINKERING...leave the game alone and let the coaches develop it for christs sake.

• Like 2

Why the AFL meddled with father son rules is beyond me....your dad played 100 plus games for the swans then your eligable if the swans dont want you into the draft you go, if the swans take you they loose there lowest pick this bullshit they got in place is rubbish and you know me by now...im tired of then forever TINKERING...leave the game alone and let the coaches develop it for christs sake.

Some tinkering is good i think....the pick is commensurate with the players worth....so it could be first pick + second pick (whatever the points value is).or last pick...

makes it fair ...like the academy system....

What u said before..(i couldnt find it)..about grassroots level and small clubs struggling. I agree this is an issue...

What are the general thoughts from everyone for the future of this situation?

Should there be bigger regional feeder clubs?

More money given to small comps and clubs?

Country is a hard one Bookman,

Farming is a business not a lifestyle now and farmers are reluctant to let their kids/adult sons play during seeding time.

I look thru country WA results every week and most towns cant even scratch a reserves side together.

Combining leagues is next but you could travel up to 60-80 kms in your local for a game.

If your good and go to a regional centre its another player lost at local level but if you want a game thats where the future is heading..

• Like 1