Tenderizing Meat With Green Papaya

turnpike

i've heard it's possible to take a tough steak which it would normally take a hacksaw to cut and turn it into a mouth watering peice of meat where the knife falls through by itself, only by placing green papaya slices on it.

ok, exaggerating slightly, but does green papaya actually tenderize meat?

thnx for any replies

TP

Most definitely works. You have to be careful of the amount of papaya and marinating time......too long and the papaya enzymes will turn your meat to mush.

Experiment with amounts and time.

I've also been told that the way the papaya is cut will determine it's effectiveness.....as in small chunks will "work" faster than a large slice of the same weight.

And I stress marinating with some liquid, not just placing papaya directly on the meat. I've never tried that.....perhaps it works....just haven't tried.

Edited by pumpuiman

And I stress marinating with some liquid, not just placing papaya directly on the meat. I've never tried that.....perhaps it works....just haven't tried.

having lived in Africa for a few years i always wondered how our cook converted the meat of old cows into the most tender filet which nearly melted on the tongue. his secret was to keep the meat in layers (sliced papaya in between, no liquid added) in a pot for two days but not in the fridge.

by the way, all meat tenderizers you buy in shops have as main ingredient "papain".

The tenderizing qualities of papaya led to the use of papaya enzimes in the reduction of slipped discs in the back without surgery.

I remember an article about that....somewhere in Mexico I believe, but I had read it was no longer used.

Have you heard of it being used recently?

I'm awaiting surgery on my back now, and would be interested to read about it.