Police targets fake news spruikers on social media

rooster59

Police targets fake news spruikers on social media

Tanakorn Sangiam

453c4fd54a27d91dcbd4b1ca539dd876.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 April 2019 (NNT) - After the transfer of former immigration bureau chief Pol Lt Gen Surachet Hakpan to work as a special advisor to the Prime Minister’s Office, the government has detected online attempts to spread fake news discrediting certain persons. The general public is advised to note this information with discretion and avoid sharing any fake information that could lead to legal prosecution.

The government’s security spokesman Lt Gen Kongcheep Tantrawanich has announced that security agencies have been working to identify groups spreading fake news online, asking those involved to cease such activities, and the general public not to share or forward such information as the passing on or importation of false information is considered an offence under the Computer Crime Act BE 2560, as well as defamation by libel or slander according to the Criminal Code.

He said the general public should use discretion in assessing the validity of any information, and verify it with government agencies or credible sources, in order not to be manipulated by those with ill intentions who want to spread false information and generate negative comments, which could make social media users violators of the law themselves.

Members of the media have been asked to verify information and deliver credible, well sourced stories to audiences, to prevent creating conflicts as in the past.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-14

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Spruikers?

Never heard the word before. Did the reporter study in Australia?

"Open Dictionary. (Australian English) someone who tries to persuade people to buy something, use a service, etc often in a dishonest or exaggerated way. The recent steady rise in property prices has heralded the return of the property spruiker."

17 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I don't know about you, but I am just getting heartily sick and tired of all these constant threats, exhortations, injunctions, orders and commands 'don't do this, and don't do that'. It's even more galling when the dictats come from such impeccably perfect paragons of virtue ...

I don't know how much more of this I can take (and what about the poor Thai people - most of whom, unlike myself, have NO escape route!).

I agree, its like living in barracks with Gunny Sarg R Lee Ermey at the end of the corridor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

As far as BJ is concerned, if they were open as to the reasons for his sudden fall from grace then there would be no speculators.  But there has been a stony silence over this extraordinary event.

You'll be able to read all about in his biography :cheesy:

• Like 1

My wife's Facebook rumors (an impeccable source of accurate and truthful information, no doubt), claIm that BJ was fired by order of the highest authority.  The reason given was that he was getting chummy with a certain exiled ex-PM.

I wouldn't put much money on either of those rumors being correct though.

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

I don't know about you, but I am just getting heartily sick and tired of all these constant threats, exhortations, injunctions, orders and commands 'don't do this, and don't do that'. It's even more galling when the dictats come from such impeccably perfect paragons of virtue ...

I don't know how much more of this I can take (and what about the poor Thai people - most of whom, unlike myself, have NO escape route!).

Aw..c'mon now..

Those Thai facebookers are just very naughty boys and girls..

You would think the same if your name was Oliver Cromwell Chan-o-Cha.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said the general public should use discretion in assessing the validity of any information, and verify it with government agencies or credible sources, in order not to be manipulated by those with ill intentions who want to spread false information and generate negative comments, which could make social media users violators of the law themselves.

In other words, "do your own research". 

Sorry, but the general public isn't capable of critically assessing anything they hear.  And that's not a crack at Thais; it's probably true in just about any country.  When faced with cognitive dissonance, people run to their comfort zones and seek out sources that confirm their existing beliefs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

So when do we see the arrest of the guy who spread the fake news that the diplomats attending Thanathorn’s hearing charges at the police station were “fake Farang actors” from Khao San Road and those who shared it?
Oh I forgot only anti-junta fake news will be investigated!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

+1

I was going to mention that specific example of blatant hypocrisy.

today in this naff paper in the letters section someone mentioned 'south china morning post' that had a recent article on over 2 million 'internet opinion analysts' in china, that are paid to sing the governments praises and attack critics, their nick name 'wumao' the 50 cent gang because of their low pay for this work

its been happening here for more than a decade, in a far smaller way and 99% in thai but we all know that the other 1% is using english boards/forums etc for the same work

this fake news balony is another way to try and muzzle people while their 'internet warriors' can win the internet message boards game without any opposition

Edited by humbug
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Aw..c'mon now..

Those Thai facebookers are just very naughty boys and girls..

You would think the same if your name was Oliver Cromwell Chan-o-Cha.

Hmmmh.. In fact he was referring to the TV crowd. Very naughty bunch of geezers..

• Haha 1

Judging from the article, some TV posters should be expecting a knock on the door from the BIB.

So is the Junta now denying the right to free speech?

Thai democracy …. Progress in reverse.

I suspect the diplomats attending Thanathorn’s hearing charges at the police station are concerned that Thailand is going the same way as Burma went.

This is going to get very nasty before it’s over.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Judging from the article, some TV posters should be expecting a knock on the door from the BIB.

Knock knock.

Who's there.

It's the Police.

Oh do behave,  there's no such thing in Thailand. 

Stop faking me about.  :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 2