Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

28 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Anyone can believe what they like; but it doesn't make what they believe in true. 

I believe exactly the opposite, you just need to think about anything to make it true.

That's not necessarily, immediately on the physical realm of course.

That's imo, the hidden meaning of "Cogito ergo sum" ( i think therefore i am )

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I believe exactly the opposite, you just need to think about anything to make it true.

That's not necessarily, immediately on the physical realm of course.

That's imo, the hidden meaning of "Cogito ergo sum" ( i think therefore i am )

Great stuff!

I just tried it out. Went outside and saw a buffalo poo poo. Concentrated hard until it turned into an apple pie. Went to grab it but the smell put me off. It had turned back into poo poo.

Must try harder I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This should have been a poll. Would have been more interesting. 

Answers:

1. No, do not believe in any God or similar. 

2. Because I think it's a waste of time to speculate about something of which there is little to no proof. I'd rather spend time doing any one of many other things such as

a. staring at a blank wall, or

b. tweezing my nostril hairs one-by-one 

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Au contraire. We say we can't establish or deny the existence of a God. Call it fence-sitting if you want. Atheists actually make a religion out of their denial of God's existence.

So true. I am a devout atheist. My father took it a stage further and was an evangelical atheist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, steve73 said:

Ahh.. the dyslexic agnostic who wasn't sure if he believed in a dog. 

In that film about the 'son of sam' the murderer insisted that that his dog told him to kill the victims.

Strange world when reality gets mixed with fantasy. And even stranger when people can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, transam said:

No, the rest of Earths creatures have not been brainwashed, humans are good at the brainwashing stuff...We even have religious folk committing suicide blowing themselves up, together with their own believers because an EARTH BOUND BLOKE told them that is what THEIR god wants.....Now how do they know that if they have never had a chat with their god.....But wait, they follow a book written by guess what.......An Earth bound bloke....????

I asked in another post if humans can be hypnotized, nobody has answered my question because they know where I will go with it...????

I discovered (many decades later) that I used to hypnotise myself as a young child....

A bit odd, as a hypnotist couldn't hypnotise me.

22 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Long story made short..... the answer to the Big Question is:  We don't know.  Yet. 

I'm cool with that.  :thumbsup:

I'm not, as not understanding the genuinely important things, annoys the hell out of me!

Which is why I hope that our spirit/soul is separate from our bodies, and that this spirit/soul will be released to understand after we die.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm not, as not understanding the genuinely important things, annoys the hell out of me!

Which is why I hope that our spirit/soul is separate from our bodies, and that this spirit/soul will be released to understand after we die.

I died once. Sorry to tell you but when you die the worms eat you. End of.

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yep agnostic. An even more confusing philosophy for even more confused people. 

As an agnostic I agree ????.

It's impossible to know 'the truth', so some of us keep an open mind, whilst being extremely antagonistic towards any 'god' - if they exist.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Where and when did you get this idea about spirits and souls?  Released to where?  Understand what?  The moment after you die isn't important.  You won't even notice.  Cuz ur dead.

Edited by 55Jay

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I find that honest atheists are better company than fake believers, but, if you deny the existence of gods, and even the existence of an intelligent design.. Do you believe in something ?

Are we wired to believe in something ?

And if you just believe in yourself, is that convenient ?

Agree to this to a certain extent.

Apart from when I was young, only later in life did I meet 'religious' people - and nearly all were the most hypocritical people I've ever met ☹️.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Where and when did you get this idea about spirits and souls?  Released to where?  Understand what?  The moment after you die is not so scary.  You won't even notice.  Cuz ur dead.

I found it quite scary. I saw a long black tunnel with a purple horseman on a purple horse at the end of it. Apparently, a common phenomenon related to the brain being starved of oxygen. After that nothing, nada, zilch, carked.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Only as a child.

As adults we realise (or should) that there is no way of knowing - and so it is an interesting, but pointless pursuit.

If it's interesting it cannot be pointless.

It would be pointless if it was not interesting.

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Where and when did you get this idea about spirits and souls?  Released to where?  Understand what?  The moment after you die isn't important.  You won't even notice.  Cuz ur dead.

As a child when (as I discovered decades later) that I used to hypnotise myself into seeing myself outside my body, and knowing that my body had nothing to do with 'me'.

Please understand that now I know that I used to hypnotise myself, I'm not as sure as previously.  Nowadays, I just hope that our possible spirit/soul is separate from our bodies - so that we can understand the truth and meet those we've lost in the harmony of understanding.

43 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I discovered (many decades later) that I used to hypnotise myself as a young child....

A bit odd, as a hypnotist couldn't hypnotise me.

Self hypnotization. Isn't that one of the, "Thou shalt not..."?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Self hypnotization. Isn't that one of the, "Thou shalt not..."?

Is it?  It's not one of the ten commandments I remember - but then again I hold no store by the bible....

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Apparently you go blind if you do too much of it..

You're better than this stupid post.

I used to hypnotise myself as a young child by trying to understand the infinite .  Something that our brains are incapable to comprehend.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Is it?  It's not one of the ten commandments I remember - but then again I hold no store by the bible....

I used to hypnotise myself as a young child by trying to understand the infinite .  Something that our brains are incapable to comprehend.

That's interesting, did you use a mirror to do that ?

And is there any achievement of note ?

I remember, years ago, hearing some theory about remembering past lives using a similar method.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Is it?  It's now one of the ten commandments I remember - but then again I hold no store by the bible....

Take a chill pill my friend...after all,it is Easter Sunday.

This is just blokes hanging out together,being a tad metaphysical and pondering whether the esky has miraculously re-filled itself or whether the drop bears have decamped with the Bundy..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I found it quite scary. I saw a long black tunnel with a purple horseman on a purple horse at the end of it. Apparently, a common phenomenon related to the brain being starved of oxygen. After that nothing, nada, zilch, carked.

Wow! ????

I fell last year, knocked myself out in an RV/caravan at 0200.  Wife said she held me in her lap on the floor as I gurgled and snored trying to breathe.  She thought she was watching me die, the last moments before it all goes still. 

I have no recollection, I was out, gone.  If I hadn't come back around, that would have been it, and I wouldn't know.  Khalas.  Finito.  Curtains.

Similar to watching our favorite old dog die here a few years ago.  In the last moments, she struggled up to her front legs unsteadily, looked at me, almost straight through me, baring what remained of her teeth, strained look on her face, and then it all washed away and everything relaxed, bowel/bladder, etc.  And that was it. 

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

That's a fair statement. Much of the most interesting thought is based on large amounts of conjecture. 

Philosophy, Astronomy, anything starting with "Theoretical". 

Still, the idea of some omnipotent unifying force is too farfetched for me. 

Wheras me being just being an airy-fairy Deist-of no fixed religious address-formed when I was a young matelot yachting about in the Tasman and Coral Seas, has enabled me to avoid all "hot under the collar" religious debates in my lifetime.

• Thanks 1