Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

14 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Can't resist: 
Here is a quote from an author who claims the Bible is not the word of  God but an invention of wise authors. It's psychologically based. The figures mentioned in the Bible are merely the invention of these authors. A man named Jesus, who was different from everyone else because he was the only one who was the Son of God, never lived. I think that's an interesting idea and not as primitive as many others in this context

lol. Sounds akin to Mysticism. 

The concept of the trinity was introduced post 300 CE because it became well known that there was a serious logical problem with the Jesus narrative. 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, notmyself said:

lol. Sounds akin to Mysticism. 

The concept of the trinity was introduced post 300 CE because it became well known that there was a serious logical problem with the Jesus narrative. 

Seems that there are two distinct discussions going on here. The one I'm in is about faith in a creator, and another about religion.

Faith isn't about Jesus, or any other person that may or may not have lived. It isn't about meditation or study or anything except a belief that there is something greater than what can be explained by science.

Whether Jesus lived is irrelevant to faith, the Trinity is irrelevant to faith. Such things are only of relevance to religion, which is something invented by men in funny hats.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, Sunmaster said:

Sorry, but I must wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

There are many spiritual practices that allow you to do just that: meditation, contemplation, tai chi, countless types of yoga, art (introspective art, religious art, psychedelic art), music (Gregorian chant, harmonic chanting), dance (spinning dervishes)....just to name a few.

How far you get depends solely on your willingness to stick with it. 
"Saints" or holy people who have progressed far on the path didn't just exist in the past, they exist today as well.

I don't understand just what you disagree with as my post dealt with different things. I also don't know what I may be allowed to do.

If you can be more specific I will reply if I'm able.

However, if saints exist today they are being pretty quiet about it.

I disagreed with the statement that it's not possible to "know" God. I don't remember the exact wording.
The spiritual practices I mentioned allow you to experience (know) what you otherwise only read in books or hear from guys in funny hats.
This is believing (faith) VS knowing.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, notmyself said:

Certainly not mate. I'm asking where the data comes from because it could be interesting.

Last number of pages have had a plethora of quite serious unsubstantiated claims such as would require knowledge of other universes or life forms.. not species... life forms.

I could go on but after reading the latest posts on the thread I see you have posted something related.

Hope that my other posts explain what I believe sufficiently.

If I required proof, it wouldn't be "faith".

As for unsubstantiated claims, that seems to be the domain of the latest religion to appear- the man made climate change religion. Based on nothing but computer models which may be valid, or not, many have a fervent belief that the world as we know it is ending soon, and we caused it. Yet, while they believe that it's our fault by driving cars and flying in aeroplanes they continue to do just that. In fact they like to FLY to congregate ( get it? ) in exotic locations to tell each other that the world is ending if we don't do "something", though "something" is never specified.

Fulfils all the requirements of religion. Belief in something unproven, fanaticism, hatred of the un believer, and leaders that tell their flock what to do, based on nothing except a "book".

44 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Personally, I don't understand why one would settle for just "believing" when there are practical steps that lead to "knowing". 

To each his own.

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

The spiritual practices I mentioned allow you to experience (know) what you otherwise only read in books or hear from guys in funny hats.

To become proficient in any of the spiritual practices you mentioned would take way more time than I'm prepared to give to them.

I'm happy in my beliefs without "knowing".

I saw the Milky Way in all it's glory the other night, and I knew there is more to heaven and earth than can ever be explained by mere mortals.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 10:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Old Testament is a history book of the Jews, and the New Testament is a history of the origins of the Christian religion.

Neither are a path to salvation of the soul.

cant see as how i claimed any different.

history is often myth

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As for unsubstantiated claims, that seems to be the domain of the latest religion to appear- the man made climate change religion. Based on nothing but computer models which may be valid, or not, many have a fervent belief that the world as we know it is ending soon, and we caused it. Yet, while they believe that it's our fault by driving cars and flying in aeroplanes they continue to do just that. In fact they like to FLY to congregate ( get it? ) in exotic locations to tell each other that the world is ending if we don't do "something", though "something" is never specified.

Fulfils all the requirements of religion. Belief in something unproven, fanaticism, hatred of the un believer, and leaders that tell their flock what to do, based on nothing except a "book".

??? 

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I disagreed with the statement that it's not possible to "know" God. I don't remember the exact wording.

It comes all down to experience. When you experience it you know it. If you want to know you work on it to experience. If you don't want to know you will probably not know. Religion normally is not about experiencing - they want you to believe. If they know there is this God or Allah  and this Christ they should introduce them to you. If they can't - why should you believe them? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To each his own.

To become proficient in any of the spiritual practices you mentioned would take way more time than I'm prepared to give to them.

I'm happy in my beliefs without "knowing".

I saw the Milky Way in all it's glory the other night, and I knew there is more to heaven and earth than can ever be explained by mere mortals.

Fair enough.

I'm not proficient in any of those practices by a long shot, but I do try to be "in the present" or "aware" during normal day to day activities, which is another form of meditation if you like. It's not time consuming as sitting cross-legged in a corner and actually gives every activity, be it washing the dishes, fixing my motorcycles, or gardening, a deeper dimension. Doing so, helps you to stay in that mindset even when you would normally get upset or stressed out about something, which comes in handy when driving a car here. ???? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

As previously mentioned, the difference between religion and spiritualty is from when it came. Religion is believing other people's **** while spirituality is believing your own.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

As previously mentioned, the difference between religion and spiritualty is from when it came. Religion is believing other people's **** while spirituality is believing your own.  

The origin of religion can generally be traced to the ancient Near East and classified in three basic categories: polytheistic, pantheistic and monotheistic.

We have all sinned and deserve God’s judgment. God, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him. Jesus, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead according to the Bible. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your Savior, declaring, "Jesus is Lord," you will be saved from judgment and spend eternity with God in heaven. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The origin of religion can generally be traced to the ancient Near East and classified in three basic categories: polytheistic, pantheistic and monotheistic.

Evidenced iterations of the same general thing can be found in that area but there is no reason to suggest it is the origin. 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:07 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Everything is equally true unless shown not to be so which would include knowledge and or lack of it. Without method you would have to take an umbrella AND no umbrella out with you at all times. I say time but it would also mean that time and lack of time exist simultaneously but simultaneously is a product of time which exists and also doesn't. QM on a macro scale. Interesting.

Climate change denier? What? You have to believe it even so.... 

This all smell like the Creationist so called debate against evolution on the grounds that they consider dogma as data. I'm on their side insofar as honesty as they cannot accept that the world is >10k old.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, Sunmaster said:

Fair enough.

I'm not proficient in any of those practices by a long shot, but I do try to be "in the present" or "aware" during normal day to day activities, which is another form of meditation if you like. It's not time consuming as sitting cross-legged in a corner and actually gives every activity, be it washing the dishes, fixing my motorcycles, or gardening, a deeper dimension. Doing so, helps you to stay in that mindset even when you would normally get upset or stressed out about something, which comes in handy when driving a car here. ???? 

Having been mentally destroyed by the long slow destruction of my marriage, I spend most of my time trying not to think about anything, hence I spend a lot of time watching DVDs, which means I'm not thinking about anything else. Thinking makes me depressed, and depression leads to...…………. I also spend too much time on TVF as it helps me forget about real life.

So, the only time I get to think about life the universe and everything is between doing something to not think about life, but when it's seeing a beautiful sunset, or the milky way on a clear dark night, I know there is more to life than what puny science tells us. We are more than a collection of organs in formation.

I've spent about 6 hours on TVF thjs afternoon, which is 6 hours I've not been sad, so that's a win. Then I'm going back to my hovel and I'm going to watch DVDs till I'm too tired to stay awake, and then I'll go to sleep. Another day done and dusted.

Cheers.

• Sad 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, notmyself said:

Climate change denier? What? You have to believe it even so.... 

LOL. Of course climate changes- it's been doing so ever since there was climate. The debate is whether we caused it to change, which is a nonsense, IMO, and whether we can actually stop it changing, which we can't, IMO.

If it was a PROVEN theory I'd be able to believe it, but it's no more proven that we can stop climate changing, than is the existence of God.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, notmyself said:

Without method you would have to take an umbrella AND no umbrella out with you at all times.

I have an umbrella in my car at all times in case it rains- does that count?

This morning was clear with some cloud. Rain not likely, but it rained anyway. I'd rather take an umbrella and not use it than get wet. I have a fold up small one that lives in my packpack, just in case.

Sooooo, my method is that if I don't take an umbrella anyway, I'll get wet.

I learned in Scouts to be prepared- a very good philosophy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have an umbrella in my car at all times in case it rains- does that count?

This morning was clear with some cloud. Rain not likely, but it rained anyway. I'd rather take an umbrella and not use it than get wet. I have a fold up small one that lives in my packpack, just in case.

Sooooo, my method is that if I don't take an umbrella anyway, I'll get wet.

I learned in Scouts to be prepared- a very good philosophy.

Without method you would have to take an umbrella AND no umbrella out with you at all times.

50% of it. 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Of course climate changes- it's been doing so ever since there was climate. The debate is whether we caused it to change, which is a nonsense, IMO, and whether we can actually stop it changing, which we can't, IMO.

If it was a PROVEN theory I'd be able to believe it, but it's no more proven that we can stop climate changing, than is the existence of God.

The atmosphere is large but it is still finite. You don't have to believe in man made climate change any more than believing in evolution, you just have to accept it. Oh.. are you an evolution denier also....

If you are not then this may well give you a chuckle.

I was reminded of this video by way of glacial layering which in turn reminded me of the iridium layer and Krakatoa. 

I dont believe in God at all ther eis Zero evidence that he exists at all ,,

But the Devil and evil  I do believe in as I see evidence  of his presnce in the world every single day .

organised religions  are also responsible for much of the worlds misery and ignorance

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Imagine a chimp trying to understand Einsteins Theory of General Relativity. Then envision a human trying to comprehend the mind of God.

Man is unable to comprehend the mind of God because he is incapable of formulating the right questions.

Nice to hear that, I pretty much agree that MOST humans are too busy worshipping money and power to be bothered asking the right questions. Easier for them to follow blindly organised religion or blindly dismiss anything related to higher beings.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 1:55 AM, hyku1147 said:

Imagine a chimp trying to understand Einsteins Theory of General Relativity. Then envision a human trying to comprehend the mind of God.

Man is unable to comprehend the mind of God because he is incapable of formulating the right questions.

You have yet to.... to personal perhaps. It has yet to be shown that the god concept itself is meaningful and because it's untestable it means it is unfalsifiable. It can therefor join Colin the invisible Leprechaun who resides in my shed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

I believe in god the   sociopath, psychopath who for about 200K years remained silent and then about 2k years ago decided to reveal himself, but only to a bunch of goat herders in a small insignificant place of the world, ignoring the rest.

Apon revealing himself he reveals nothing that would move things forward but only makes comments on things we already know.

You would think he could had said something about germs rather than let as think that it was demons, and let's his creation wallow in misery and plage .

He loves us unconditionally , except for some conditions.

I am on your wavelength with this,why cant he(God) get on twitter or facebook?

Now that would really freak people out,imagine everyone in the world got an email tomorrow.

What would it say?

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, ivor bigun said:

Good to see that the discusion is still in gull swing,but i still believe religion was only invented to keep " the plebs" in their place so that those in charge could live the high life.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You refer to the men in funny hats. Indeed they did. In the "good" old days they wanted burnt offerings- IMO so they could eat them. They certainly wanted power and wealth. How rich is the Vatican, yet they see no contradiction preaching that we should sell all that we have and give to the poor.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:37 AM, CMNightRider said:

I honestly feel sorry for everybody who chooses to mock God because there will be severe penalties for that person and God will make that person eat those words. 

All over the web you see people writing blasphemous things about Christ and when the time comes they’re going to wish they had a time machine.

So you feel sorry for all muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Rastafarians, etc etc

• Like 1