Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

57 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Since I wasn't around when God created the earth, I'm not certain of how old it is.  According to events and dates mentioned in the Bible it seems to be around 6,000 years old.

I'm a Christian, and believe, but the world is millions of years old, according to The American Museum of Natural History...............

There are two ways to determine the age of a dinosaur fossil. One is called relative geologic time, which involves deciding whether one dinosaur fossil is older or younger than another. The other is often called absolute geologic time, which involves estimating how many millions of years old a dinosaur fossil is.

To determine relative age, one must realize that dinosaur fossils are preserved in layers of sedimentary rock, which are deposited in sequence, one on top of the other. Fossils contained in an older, lower rock layer are relatively older than fossils contained in a higher, newer layer.

The sequences of rock layers containing dinosaur fossils often also contain layers of ancient volcanic ash, and the ash is composed of minerals crystals formed at the time of the eruption, which contain radioactive atoms. These atoms break apart at a constant rate in a process called radioactive decay. Using sophisticated scientific instruments, geologists can measure how long it takes for half of the parent atoms to decay into daughter atoms, a time period called the half-life. Geologists then measure the proportion of parent and daughter atoms present in the ash crystals to determine the crystal's age.

Geez. Where's Harry Potter? Some real people yearning for it all to be true. God is listening and he knows you came to Thailand for the pie. He knows. More Christians will burn in hell for their lies than non-believers. Oh wait, saying I believe in God is a free pass to commit heinous crimes of your choice. I get it know. Saying 'I believe' is like a Catch-22. By doing it, you get the God and the free pass to be evil. The safe word to escape the contract and catch-22 is 'I don't believe anymore'. And just like magic 'Poof' you're back in the world of possibilities and punishable crimes under human law and Yesu.

17 minutes ago, jvs said:

Are you saying being gay is a choice?

Can gay people go to heaven?

There are those that say it's genetics, and others that say it's environmental and a choice. It is a sin in God's eyes. So yes — you can be a Christian and, at the same time, struggle with same-sex attraction. But no — you can’t be a faithful, obedient Christian while willingly involving yourself in homosexual acts. From Focus on the Family.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a Christian, and believe, but the world is millions of years old, according to The American Museum of Natural History...............

There are two ways to determine the age of a dinosaur fossil. One is called relative geologic time, which involves deciding whether one dinosaur fossil is older or younger than another. The other is often called absolute geologic time, which involves estimating how many millions of years old a dinosaur fossil is.

To determine relative age, one must realize that dinosaur fossils are preserved in layers of sedimentary rock, which are deposited in sequence, one on top of the other. Fossils contained in an older, lower rock layer are relatively older than fossils contained in a higher, newer layer.

The sequences of rock layers containing dinosaur fossils often also contain layers of ancient volcanic ash, and the ash is composed of minerals crystals formed at the time of the eruption, which contain radioactive atoms. These atoms break apart at a constant rate in a process called radioactive decay. Using sophisticated scientific instruments, geologists can measure how long it takes for half of the parent atoms to decay into daughter atoms, a time period called the half-life. Geologists then measure the proportion of parent and daughter atoms present in the ash crystals to determine the crystal's age.

If the earth is millions of years old, there would be standing room only.  Please do the math starting with Adam and Eve.  Then start over after the flood.  This requires a little thought on your part.  Don't rely on some imbecile who works for the American Museum of Natural History.    

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

If the earth is millions of years old, there would be standing room only.  Please do the math starting with Adam and Eve.  Then start over after the flood.  This requires a little thought on your part.  Don't rely on some imbecile who works for the American Museum of Natural History.    

spock sarcastic - Imgflip

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Another one assuming they know someone, and this coming from another that claims he's a Christian. Aren't we supposed to support each other? And assuming people that work for the American Museum of Natural History are imbeciles? What exactly are you trying to say? That the world would have more people than it can handle if it's millions of years old? Did I say humans were many millions of years old? Haven't you understood that dinosaurs, of which there is considerable proof existed, came before man? That excerpt came from the American Museum of Natural History, but was written by a scientist. This world is very overpopulated, and it will mean the end of the planet if it continues this way, as our food resources will run out. Do the math yourself. The first humans were supposedly on the earth between five and seven million years ago. The dinosaurs were here 230 million years ago, and long extinct before man arrived. By 65 million years.

Edited by fredwiggy

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Another one assuming they know someone, and this coming from another that claims he's a Christian. Aren't we supposed to support each other? And assuming people that work for the American Museum of Natural History are imbeciles? What exactly are you trying to say? That the world would have more people than it can handle if it's millions of years old? Did I say humans were millions of years old? Haven't you understood that dinosaurs, of which there is considerable proof existed, came before man? That excerpt came from the American Museum of Natural History, but was written by a scientist. This world is very overpopulated, and it will mean the end of the planet if it continues this way, as our food resources will run out. Do the math yourself. The first humans were supposedly on the earth between five and seven million years ago. The dinosaurs were here 230 million years ago, and long extinct before man arrived. By 65 million years.

If you had read the Bible, you would have never wrote this post.  I have done the math and according to world events, we are living in the "end times" as mentioned in the Bible.  

2 Christians arguing over which level of literal bible interpretation is more correct. LOL

This is what happens when you base all of your knowledge on the intellectual understanding of a book. 

When a person is able to experience the Divine directly (or simply see it reflected in nature for example), he will have no problem finding common ground with someone else who had  a similar experience, yet comes from a totally different background or religion. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sunmaster said:

2 Christians arguing over which level of literal bible interpretation is more correct. LOL

This is what happens when you base all of your knowledge on the intellectual understanding of a book. 

When a person is able to experience the Divine directly (or simply see it reflected in nature for example), he will have no problem finding common ground with someone else who had  a similar experience, yet comes from a totally different background or religion. 

I'm not arguing about anything in the book. I just stated when dinosaurs were here and when man came, afterwards. I missed the word many, meaning humans weren't many millions of years here, but 5 to 7, and dinosaurs were extinct 65 million years before man existed. I feel God's presence everywhere, and have as long as I've known about him. He made it sound like the world was only 6000 years old. It isn't. And yes, I do believe we are in the "end" times, and overpopulation might be the reason for the end, if global warming doesn't make us extinct before that.

4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Since I wasn't around when God created the earth, I'm not certain of how old it is.  According to events and dates mentioned in the Bible it seems to be around 6,000 years old.

There is obviously something not clear here. He's saying the earth is 6.000 years old, you're saying it's millions of years old.....which one is it, according to the bible?
And according to him (CMNightRider) you (fredwiggy) are not a true Christian because you don't believe that.

Just now, Sunmaster said:

There is obviously something not clear here. He's saying the earth is 6.000 years old, you're saying it's millions of years old.....which one is it, according to the bible?
And according to him (CMNightRider) you (fredwiggy) are not a true Christian because you don't believe that.

I'm a true Christian because of my belief in God. The Bible was written by man, and has some inaccuracies. Science has proven things they didn't have the resources to prove back then. God's word was written by man, and man makes mistakes. What do you believe, regarding the age of the earth?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a true Christian because of my belief in God. The Bible was written by man, and has some inaccuracies. Science has proven things they didn't have the resources to prove back then. God's word was written by man, and man makes mistakes. What do you believe, regarding the age of the earth?

Fair enough. I just think some more fundamentalist Christians (nudge nudge) will have a meltdown reading this. ????

I'm not sure exactly how old the earth is....4.5 billion years?, billion more, billion less....for sure it's not 6.000years old.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've always enjoyed humour, but can't find any in the post you refer to. IMO you were merely stating that you found angels on Soi 6, which many would agree with.

Perhaps you should put a smiley after posts you want to indicate are humorous.

Perhaps you need glasses.  Maybe then you will see the smiley I put in my post.  I'll put two for you in this one, which gives you twice the chance of seeing them.   ???? ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Evidently you don't own a Bible where you could actually look up these scriptures yourself.  You are just being silly now.  There is no place in the Bible that says the earth is flat.  

If I didn't know any better, I would think you non-believers and same sex lovers are having a stupid contest.  It's one thing to be gender confused but when you add low cognitive ability with a disbelief in God and Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, you have some serious problems.    

I doubt they have any interest in the topic.

I try to ignore the worst of them, but sometimes one will pose a question worth answering for other posters that do actually take the subject seriously.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps you need glasses.  Maybe then you will see the smiley I put in my post.  I'll put two for you in this one, which gives you twice the chance of seeing them.   ???? ????

I can't put the quote about Soi 6 in this post so see the one below, in which there are no smileys.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

19 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

There are those that say it's genetics, and others that say it's environmental and a choice. It is a sin in God's eyes. So yes — you can be a Christian and, at the same time, struggle with same-sex attraction. But no — you can’t be a faithful, obedient Christian while willingly involving yourself in homosexual acts. From Focus on the Family.

God doesn't care if we have sex with same sex. That was invented by religion.

Some animals like cows ( try ) to have same sex sex. Obviously it can't be wrong if dumb animals do it.

Religion also says women should obey their husbands, but how many actually do? Zero would be my guess ( now ). People promise to live together till they die, which is just a lie for 50%. Etc.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm not arguing about anything in the book. I just stated when dinosaurs were here and when man came, afterwards. I missed the word many, meaning humans weren't many millions of years here, but 5 to 7, and dinosaurs were extinct 65 million years before man existed. I feel God's presence everywhere, and have as long as I've known about him. He made it sound like the world was only 6000 years old. It isn't. And yes, I do believe we are in the "end" times, and overpopulation might be the reason for the end, if global warming doesn't make us extinct before that.

Strictly speaking everything is in it's "end times" on a cosmic scale. Species come and go in the blink of a cosmic eye, and humans are no different from the dinosaurs in that respect. Even if, highly unlikely, humans managed not to exterminate themselves before Gaia kills us off, the universe will end and that's it for everything that ever existed in the universe.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

God doesn't care if we have sex with same sex. That was invented by religion.

Some animals like cows ( try ) to have same sex sex. Obviously it can't be wrong if dumb animals do it.

Religion also says women should obey their husbands, but how many actually do? Zero would be my guess ( now ). People promise to live together till they die, which is just a lie for 50%. Etc.

God made men and women to have families. Kids cannot be made by same sex couples. Adopted yes, but not made. It can't be wrong if "dumb" animals do it? Humans aren't animals, and higher intelligence means you aren't acting out of instinct, but choice. This again isn't about religion. God doesn't want women to be slaves, but partners. Submitting isn't about obeying. People have freedom of choice, and promises mean little if you aren't going to stick to them. People get divorced over 50% of the time because one or the other is either unrealistic in their marriage beliefs, one may be an abuser, one who neglects or has addictions, or a mental illness which hurts most marriages. I have gays in my family, but it isn't mine to judge. They made a choice and they will be judged for it.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I think God isn't of any religion.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

God made men and women to have families. Kids cannot be made by same sex couples. Adopted yes, but not made. It can't be wrong if "dumb" animals do it? Humans aren't animals, and higher intelligence means you aren't acting out of instinct, but choice. This again isn't about religion. God doesn't want women to be slaves, but partners. Submitting isn't about obeying. People have freedom of choice, and promises mean little if you aren't going to stick to them. People get divorced over 50% of the time because one or the other is either unrealistic in their marriage beliefs, one may be an abuser, one who neglects or has addictions, or a mental illness which hurts most marriages. I have gays in my family, but it isn't mine to judge. They made a choice and they will be judged for it.

Humans are animals with a bigger brain. The primary directive of any animal is to reproduce. Nothing more to it. Judging by what humans do we are not very intelligent. An intelligent species wouldn't spend a lot of resources on killing each other. An intelligent species wouldn't pollute and breed itself into extinction.

I guess you missed the wedding vows ( from Wikipedia )

Bride: I,_____, take thee,_____, to be my wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Fair enough. I just think some more fundamentalist Christians (nudge nudge) will have a meltdown reading this. ????

I'm not sure exactly how old the earth is....4.5 billion years?, billion more, billion less....for sure it's not 6.000years old.

Don't know why anyone cares how old the world is. None of us are going to live differently if it started the day before we were born.

What matters is our relationship with God, in the present.

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

and higher intelligence means you aren't acting out of instinct, but choice.

How many times do you think you have a choice out of your decissions? And how many times you make choices by instinct and since everyone elses doing it, or they have to follow orders. 

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't know why anyone cares how old the world is. None of us are going to live differently if it started the day before we were born.

What matters is our relationship with God, in the present.

Im more interested to know how old life itself is! I truly believe as said before, life did not start on earth.