Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Buddhism and Christianity have some harmony on these points. But Hinduism to me is chaotic.

As you said on a previous post, the man made the changes, so i am not surprised that it looks chaotic to you. It's really chaotic !

In fact, there are so many sects in Hinduism that make it impossible to call it a religion, so perhaps i was wrong to use Hinduism as a term of comparison, but i did not want to complicate things.

Personally, long ago, i just dismissed most of those sects, and focused just on 2 or 3... The Kali cult for example, is just too distant from my values, as it implies regular sacrifices of animals.. As a vegetarian, i could never accept it.

To put things in perspective, give Christianity 5000 years more, and see how many different sects could grow out of it.

I have no problem with people who believe in the principle of god(s).

I don't believe, but what does it matter?

However.

I do have a problem with people who claim to know the name of god(s), and who claim to know what their god(s) exactly want. It's only a small and "normal" step to enforce that on other people (who don't believe, or are members of different sects).

And I particularly dislike the "middle men" between god(s) and believers.

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Surely it's not my concern, in the big picture it's not important imho.

I thought you were  " against any injustice," you should had said, some injustice. depending how I feel at the time.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

As you said on a previous post, the man made the changes, so i am not surprised that it looks chaotic to you. It's really chaotic !

In fact, there are so many sects in Hinduism that make it impossible to call it a religion, so perhaps i was wrong to use Hinduism as a term of comparison, but i did not want to complicate things.

Personally, long ago, i just dismissed most of those sects, and focused just on 2 or 3... The Kali cult for example, is just too distant from my values, as it implies regular sacrifices of animals.. As a vegetarian, i could never accept it.

To put things in perspective, give Christianity 5000 years more, and see how many different sects could grow out of it.

QUOTE: To put things in perspective, give Christianity 5000 years more, and see how many different sects could grow out of it.

Are you serious? There are now already zillions of christian sects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I thought you were  " against any injustice," you should had said, some injustice. depending how I feel at the time.

Priorities.

Your mighty country bombing innocents is more worrying than gay marriage, my opinion of course.

If you think that gay marriage is more important, i beg to differ.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Priorities.

Your mighty country bombing innocents is more worrying than gay marriage, my opinion of course.

If you think that gay marriage is more important, i beg to differ.

I think all live matter, but if your Christian religion differs, I understand.

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: To put things in perspective, give Christianity 5000 years more, and see how many different sects could grow out of it.

Are you serious? There are now already zillions of christian sects.

Spot on. There are already thousands of denominations of Christianity. Some estimates are in the tens of thousands! Christianity will be irrelevant before the turn of the next century. Not extinct, but swirling down the commode with the other ????

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The fastest growing Christian sect is Atheism, LOL .which has more in common with early christianity than any of today's christians do, 

4 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

For example?

We love all People irrespective of their beliefs,and  We are more compassionate.

Also Christianity says " turn to the other Chick" and now one has dated more Chicks than me.

everybody knows atheists score more!!

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

We love all People irrespective of their beliefs,and  We are more compassionate.

Also Christianity says " turn to the other Chick" and now one has dated more Chicks than me.

everybody knows atheists score more!!

I don't know if atheists score more, but the rest is wishful thinking. ????

4 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I don't know if atheists score more, but the rest is wishful thinking. ????

Pursuing  paradise on earth rather than waiting for something that we never got any ratings on, from anyone that went there.

As far as anyone knows it might suck!  Who plans any trip without checking on the ratings of other travelers that went there? IMP bad planning!! 

When we grow up, we first follow our parents rules (1), in our teens we rebel (2) and we often do the exact opposite of what they've been teaching us. As independent adults we learn to think by ourselves (3), but we often come back to what our parents have taught us, at least the important, fundamental parts. We include the teachings and we transcend to a higher point of view.

Now the part some of you will surely disagree with...

I think that atheism is a consequence of the "rebel-phase" (2) of the evolving society. Away from the strict teachings of religious dogma, away from empty rituals, away from backward ideology (1). Stage 2 is a natural and necessary stepping stone to reach stage 3.

The next stage (3) would be to transcend and include the core of what religion (in its purest form) has tried to convey:

• Showing compassion to those in need.
  • Treating others as one would like to be treated.
  • Continually learning and growing both spiritually and intellectually.
  • Being respectful and nonviolent when interacting with others.

A person at stage 3 will not reject spirituality, but will have learned to filter it out from the religious quagmire and integrate it into their belief system. 

I know I will get a lot of flak for this ????

Pursuing  paradise on earth rather than waiting for something that we never got any ratings on, from anyone that went there.

As far as anyone knows it might suck!  Who plans any trip without checking on the ratings of other travelers that went there? IMP bad planning!! 

Not me! There are many MANY travelers who went there. The info is out there.

Just now, Sunmaster said:

Not me! There are many MANY travelers who went there. The info is out there.

Quote one who came back. And picture please, I like pictures.

Do they have shrimp cocktails there? I like shrimp cocktails. It seems like I read somewhere that he did not like as eating them on earth. (I hope you have not eaten any) , but maybe they are allowed in Paradise. It would not be heaven if it was not.

Oh and one additional question since we are on the subject. All those who went to the Bad place because they commited sins that are no longer considered sins, Do they get a get out of jail pass?

11 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

When we grow up, we first follow our parents rules (1), in our teens we rebel (2) and we often do the exact opposite of what they've been teaching us. As independent adults we learn to think by ourselves (3), but we often come back to what our parents have taught us, at least the important, fundamental parts. We include the teachings and we transcend to a higher point of view.

Now the part some of you will surely disagree with...

I think that atheism is a consequence of the "rebel-phase" (2) of the evolving society. Away from the strict teachings of religious dogma, away from empty rituals, away from backward ideology (1). Stage 2 is a natural and necessary stepping stone to reach stage 3.

The next stage (3) would be to transcend and include the core of what religion (in its purest form) has tried to convey:

• Showing compassion to those in need.
  • Treating others as one would like to be treated.
  • Continually learning and growing both spiritually and intellectually.
  • Being respectful and nonviolent when interacting with others.

A person at stage 3 will not reject spirituality, but will have learned to filter it out from the religious quagmire and integrate it into their belief system. 

I know I will get a lot of flak for this ????

Quite the opposite. 

When we are young we do as our parents did, case and point that you are all the same religion your parents were.

And some of as grow up and learn to think for ourselves. 

Quote one who came back. And picture please, I like pictures.

Do they have shrimp cocktails there? I like shrimp cocktails. It seems like I read somewhere that he did not like as eating them on earth. (I hope you have not eaten any) , but maybe they are allowed in Paradise. It would not be heaven if it was not.

Oh and one additional question since we are on the subject. All those who went to the Bad place because they commited sins that are no longer considered sins, Do they get a get out of jail pass?

"Where" do you think Buddha went when he got enlightened? 

Quite the opposite. 

When we are young we do as our parents did, case and point that you are all the same religion your parents were.

And some of as grow up and learn to think for ourselves. 

I don't follow any religion.
So are you saying that I, and people like me, didn't grow up and can not think for ourselves because we're not atheists?

You got to ask buddha 

Buddha is far from being the only enlightened being in history. There are some right now on the planet, some have written books, some teach, some live in cities, others in caves...
Do you think enlightenment was some sort of anomalous glitch?

1 minute ago, Sunmaster said:

I don't follow any religion.
So are you saying that I, and people like me, didn't grow up and can not think for ourselves because we're not atheists?

I am talking about Christians not you.

I respect your spirituality.

I might not agree with all of it, but I recognise the fact that I might be wrong about it.My argument is with a biblical god,other than that we really only might disagree get in to definitions of god. 

12 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

As independent adults we learn to think by ourselves

That is a wildly incorrect statement IMO. Some (very few) adults think, or learn to think, for themselves. I would say vast majority haven't ever had an independent thought or idea. They need to be told how to act, what to believe, etc. Zero critical thinking ability. Oblivious. It's been said, 'ignorance is bliss'.  

People need to be taught how to think, not what to think. 

• Like 1