Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

divining rods work

They dont.

There is some evidence that dowsers can find water or oil when more traditional methods have failed, which seems miraculous. But experiments show that this works only when the dowser has some unconscious knowledge of where the target is. For example, they might be using clues from vegetation, geography or temperature. They might not realise what they’re doing, and so believe in the supernatural power of the rods. Experiments have been done that eliminate these possibilities, by running water through one of 10 pipes laid underground, or moving the position of water pipes. Under such controlled conditions dowsers do not succeed.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:58 AM, hyku1147 said:
On 4/15/2019 at 12:29 AM, worgeordie said:

Wonder why the Chimpanzees never evolved too ? 

regards worgeordie

"from whom we evolved." Is self explanatory.

no it's not. i suggest some re-education on human evolution.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, transam said:

Oh no we ain't.......But wait....I agree we all stand upright, except Quasimodo...

Humans are one of the least diverse mammalian species on earth. I'm sure google can help you if you don't believe that.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Humans are one of the least diverse mammalian species on earth. I'm sure google can help you if you don't believe that.

Well I don't think the same as a Thai, and I most certainly don't think the same as folk from some places around the world. But if you are saying we have the same internals then you are correct, though I could never be confused with an African or an Aborigine, a Scots bloke yes, if I wore a kilt...????

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

?????????????????? Strange question. No one "knows".

Of course I don't, which is why I believe in something greater than what we can see.

Isn't the time to believe (something/anything) is when there is good reason? I mean your claim is to believe in something greater than what we can see, but that's extremely vague. Can you be a bit more specific and clear? Otherwise it sounds like you believe in something without the slightest reason and without a clue as to what that "something" might be. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Well I don't think the same as a Thai, and I most certainly don't think the same as folk from some places around the world. But if you are saying we have the same internals then you are correct, though I could never be confused with an African or an Aborigine, a Scots bloke yes, if I wore a kilt...????

Think genetically, not appearance and thought processes.

Which is probably why the human race will die en mass from a disease that would leave most chimpanzees alive, because they are more genetically diverse.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course I don't, which is why I believe in something greater than what we can see.

And furthermore...your reason is because you don't know. Well surely there are many things we don't know, but certainly don't believe them all. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Naam said:

my conclusion is that both your comments are totally irrelevant in a thread who's topic is "Do you believe in God and why" :coffee1:

It's your day to take potshots at other posters, evidently.

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do you believe what you cannot see will be greater?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:
11 minutes ago, Naam said:

my conclusion is that both your comments are totally irrelevant in a thread who's topic is "Do you believe in God and why" :coffee1:

It's your day to take potshots at other posters, evidently.

it's my day to point out irrelevant muslim bashing.

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you dont know either how can you say atheists are wrong?

Yes no one knows,time will tell.

Is this the reason you believe in something greater?

You are not saying you believe in (a) God.

I mentioned before the connection between releligion and God,this can be very confusing and is not really clear from the op.

I am open to believe there may be a greater power but i refuse to believe in any religion or a God in the way religion sees it.

I've been occupied with death, religions, spirituality, philosophy, psychology, metaphysics, psychedelic drugs, art, channelings and much else my entire life. I've been always driven by an insatiable thirst for knowledge and thanks God (pun intended) I've been open-minded enough to discover things that others dismiss out of prejudice before even attempting to understand. At the same time I love science, but I don't believe it has all the answers and I therefore treat it just like another "religion".

Having said that, I need to make an important distinction: religion and spirituality are 2 very different things.
Religion is an institutionalized system, that places itself as the intermediary between God (Spirit, the universal soul, or whatever you call the ultimate being) and you. These systems have important pieces of the Truth, but sadly these pieces have been covered by centuries of empty words and scriptures. They've become for the most part empty shells. Just look at the decline of Christianity.
I don't subscribe to any one religion and it makes my skin crawl when someone claims that his/her religion is the only true one. Nevertheless, I have studied them and found that there's value in them, but it depends on each person how he interprets that religion. 
Spirituality on the other hand, focuses more on the direct experience you can have with the Divine and this is what I've been after. Every religion started out from a spiritual experience and then got distorted by others who didn't have that experience and tried to rationalize what is not possible to put into words.

There's nothing you need to believe in, because everything you want to know is right there for you to discover. 

Unfortunately today, the atheists behave in very much the same way as the Christian inquisition (apart from the burning, torture and hanging), making it near impossible to have a mature discussion.

I know there's nothing I can say or write to make anyone change their minds. People evolve at their own pace and you can't force them to believe one way or another if they're not ready for them. The only thing one can do is to live his truth, set an example. If this example holds value in the eyes of another person, then you'll have planted an important seed. There's no need to speak of religion, nor spirituality or science.

In the end it's all extremely simple, but we like to fight over definitions and create a world where everything is black and white.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, Odysseus123 said:

I am undecided about two viewpoints that have been with us through at least 3000 years and probably 10 millennia..

1.God in everything (pantheism)

2.Everything in God (panentheism)

These two memes are found across all cultures and religions...difficult to decide.

The way I see it, both are correct. One doesn't exclude the other.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Moderate means they don't twist the surahs and hadiths to suit their agendas. I completely fail to understand your analogy of roasting chickens, but that's OK. If I understood every thing posted on TV, then I would be God.

It was not the chicken per se but rather the method/ recipe. One chef follows the recipe while the other does not so which one is the radical chef? It is the so called moderates that are taking their holy book al a carte, picking and choosing the bits they like while discarding the bits they don't which is why I'm with Creationists and such in the sense that they are at least being logically coherent. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do you think atheists have followers? AFAIK no atheist has encouraged his/her followers to commit mass suicide.

If we equate ideology with religion, well plenty have gone to war and died in the name of some ideology.

Atheists can be obtuse too.

• Like 1

I found it equally frustrating to talk to atheists (less so agnostics) and religious people, because they're both stuck in a rut. One claims that science has the ultimate truth and if something can not be explained through it, then it must be fairy tales. The other claims his holy book contains everything you need to know and if you don't believe it, then eternal damnation is waiting for you.
Both worldviews are at seemingly opposite places of the spectrum, yet both are equally restrictive and exclusive.

I don't want to start arguing about what caused more deaths, but I'd like to remind you that atheist governments like in China and Russia have had their fair share in bloodshed.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

believe

Nothing without evidence yet you want to "believe", in which case with no evidence anything I say should be as  valid to you. This means with no evidence you have to accept everything anyone says no  matter how crazy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

No I don't believe, because I have a brain!

Yes, only athiests have brains. I forgot. Hey could you explain to me where the universe came from? you have a brain

• Confused 1