Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

That always gets me.  So, we're told this all powerful god fellow has been around for eternity, but he's been sitting about in the dark until one day he decides to have a bit of light.  And, where was he living for all that time before he created the heavens anyway?

Then, sometime later, he sacrifices his only son, all the time knowing he's just going to resurrect him a few days later.  Bit of a cop out isn't it?

So ..what you are really saying is that God got a visa to Thailand,sat in a dark bar in Pattaya until someone switched the lights on...told his son Isaac in Oz to stop bothering him and resurrected himself on ThaiVisa?

Edited by Odysseus123

On 4/14/2019 at 7:16 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I struggle with this

What I would say however, that religion, whether or not you believe as an adult, as a child it provides you with a moral compass, which at least for me, has served me well through my life

Fair enough. Although I've never required a deity to understand what is morally questionable. It's fairly straight forward in most cases. As in, would I want someone to hurt me in any way, shape or form? No. So I've always taken it as a given that others feel the same, therefore I wouldn't hurt them either. 

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Fair enough. Although I've never required a deity to understand what is morally questionable. It's fairly straight forward in most cases. As in, would I want someone to hurt me in any way, shape or form? No. So I've always taken it as a given that others feel the same, therefore I wouldn't hurt them either. 

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one's self would wish to be treated. It is a maxim that is found in many religions and cultures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

It says 'rule' but it's actually an observation on human behaviour.

3 hours ago, yodsak said:

Read more than a small biased book. Question more. Research. Plenty evidence he existed. Killed by Pilate.

Also  mentioned by Pliny and Tacitus,  2 hi-so Roman politicians .

Pliny writes of the christians ''pig headed obstinacy'' 

Tacitus calls their religion a destructive superstition.  [ not wrong there ]

No evidence he was the son of god, performed miracles , or rose from the dead though.

1709651769_ScreenShot2019-04-16at17_45_21.png.8373c1e2f88cdda74146ac15259f344b.png

mentioned because they read the fiction called bible? or " new testament"?

that doesn't prove anything - only to those who want to believe (not caring if true)?

8 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Does buddhism have a god? ???? Or is buddhism a way of life?

Buddhism is not only a way of life but also a philosophy about self enlightenment. From what I know, Buddhism expounded that we create the spiritual world we live in by our actions. If we do good, we create a heaven in our mind. If we do bad, we create our own hell. I personally believed that because of our actions in our daily life, we create an environment in our body that resonates with other people with similar vibrations. And when we die, we will automatically resonates towards that frequency which may denote the spiritual world. This is essentially our fundamental self.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Buddha was supposedly born out of a slit in his mothers side after she was impregnated by a flash of light. 

yeah - that's an ivention of those who wanted to make him divine (after his death).

It is not true and not important.

Important is what he teaches. And that is deep and has nothing to do with blind believe. What the institutions made of it is quite a different story.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

Religion is one of those weird things.

I not very devout, an Easter & Christmas mass kinda guy, much to the distress of my long deceased  Mom.

But having any sort of belief in something greater than you, at least for me gives life some purpose.

Your religion of choice, or as in Buddhism which has no deity, that's up to you.

Curiously my Thai wife, since there is no temple here, goes the local Catholic church, without me I might add, but it seems to give her piece of mind

Edited by GinBoy2

3 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Why not go the whole hog and worship the Easter Bunny as well , at least his fans dont slaughter each other over procedural matters.

You are barking to the wrong tree, what are you on about ?

Pls put down the bottle and get a grip.

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmm..let us examine a few wars of the 20th century-presumably most of the posters here were born prior to 2001.

The Boer War?

The Philippines Insurrection?

The Ist World War?

The 2nd Word War?

The Korean War?

The Vietnam War?

Desert Storm?

I think not.

Im sorry , did I give the impression that all wars were down to religion , no thought not , pathetic deflection.

Do you consider cancer trivial because Malaria is historically the bigger killer ?

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Mate, sorry but you've lost the plot, get some help asap.

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Mate, sorry but you've lost the plot, get some help asap.

I find most pseudo intellectuals resort to silly insults when their spurious arguments are laid bare.

Go back to Roman times and "Mars" was a god along with many others.

Mars, wev'e been there its dead as a  dodo and all gods  will slowly go the same way in time.

Each time science disproves some religious  nonsense that religion changes the rules or says it was an "interpretation" or  "not  literal"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I find most pseudo intellectuals resort to silly insults when their spurious arguments are laid bare.

You are right, and i apologize. All the best to you.

• Like 2