Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I understand, you feel being insulted.

Well, I refer to the reaction from your sympathiser mauGR1 after I told  him I felt  insulted by him :

"it was just a little humour."

Well, I refer to my other "sympathiser" SpongeBob SquarePants after I told him what you wrote. ????

image.png.d23f364052516beb2453083bf6e183d8.png

48 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We are the computer

Another interesting approach.

Make this topic less boring :

than :
"All opinions in the matter of God, gods, a creator... are not equal."

vs.

"All opinions in the matter of God, gods, creator... are equal".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ladidaa said:

Can you please stop with this boring 'opinion' posts and let the peoples have a normal discussion? 

Thanks you ????

Tbh, after 1 year, of boredom, I'm starting to feel slightly amused.

And to be fair to him, it takes a sort of strength to keep having no opinions, and yet keep posting.????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

And to be fair to him, it takes a sort of strength to keep having no opinions,

My opinions are different to yours, and you seems to dislike that.

I trust that is the reason why you called them " no opinions ".

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, luckyluke said:

My opinions are different to yours, and you seems to dislike that.

I trust that is the reason why you called them " no opinions ".

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after 1 year, I haven't heard yet your opinion on the existence or non existence of God.

I heard somewhere that patience is a virtue, so I'll ask you once again:

Do you believe in God, and why ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

It depends in what definition of god you refer to. More often than not its tied to religion. Personally, I let life take me wherever it takes me. I try to look at myself and my actions and try to be better person. Thats good enough for me. 

If one looks only at the life of the Christ as related in the 4 gospels, he laid out the path to being a better person. He was also a Jew and did not seek to replace Judaism. It was not he who started the Christian Church.

The criticism on this thread is always to the Christian Church, but billions of very good and caring people have been Christians over the past 2,000 years. Only a few bad characters have exploited others and given the Church a bad reputation.

To criticize religion is to criticize ALL religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one looks only at the life of the Christ as related in the 4 gospels, he laid out the path to being a better person. He was also a Jew and did not seek to replace Judaism. It was not he who started the Christian Church.

The criticism on this thread is always to the Christian Church, but billions of very good and caring people have been Christians over the past 2,000 years. Only a few bad characters have exploited others and given the Church a bad reputation.

To criticize religion is to criticize ALL religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, etc etc etc.

All religions needs to be critized, and also their followers. It is not only a few bad apples, it is humongus amount of people who have taken part in the crime agaisnt the humanity. Either based on fear, or of pure bloodthirsty group mentality. When you see pictures of Public executions from any Part of the world from any time, you can see a majority of the peoples joy  and happiness of taking part of it. I guess you found the same when witches was burned. People is easy to manipulate to take part in crime. Not all, men but the majority is willing to to do so, if they are told to, and they are served good enough reasons, as well they believe it is no consequenses to do so.

Some bad apples is not In position to do crime if they do not have enough supporters to make it happen. I would like to point at one president right now, but I will leave it with just mention it. Call it blind followers who is not willing to see or hear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

All religions needs to be critized, and also their followers. It is not only a few bad apples, it is humongus amount of people who have taken part in the crime agaisnt the humanity. Either based on fear, or of pure bloodthirsty group mentality. When you see pictures of Public executions from any Part of the world from any time, you can see a majority of the peoples joy  and happiness of taking part of it. I guess you found the same when witches was burned. People is easy to manipulate to take part in crime. Not all, men but the majority is willing to to do so, if they are told to, and they are served good enough reasons, as well they believe it is no consequenses to do so.

Some bad apples is not In position to do crime if they do not have enough supporters to make it happen. I would like to point at one president right now, but I will leave it with just mention it. Call it blind followers who is not willing to see or hear. 

I'm sure that people would have done bad things even if the Church had not existed. The words of the Christ are blessed, but bad men have used them for bad means. They were not good men, even if they said they were Christians, or Jews, or Muslims etc etc etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after 1 year, I haven't heard yet your opinion on the existence or non existence of God.

I heard somewhere that patience is a virtue, so I'll ask you once again:

Do you believe in God, and why ?

Well it seems you didn't look well into this topic.

But I have no problem to repeat myself :

For about 55 years I was a fervent " believer " in the non-existence of "something superior".

About 5 years ago I enlarged my opinion.

Now I have the tendency to believe that everything is possible :

God

Gods

A creator

We are a product of an extra terrestrial civilization

And more...

However I don't consider that one or more of these possibilities have a greater probability than the others.

In other words, I consider the opinion of the adepts of one of these beliefs as equal to the others.

Hope this is clear enough.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, agree with this very clear statement.

But i want to add something for some people who are in denial imho.

Humans have to believe in "something", even the staunchest of materialists will have to admit that we are "wired" in that way.

If one tells me that he can live without beliefs, I won't believe him.

So, what is religion if not an attempt to establish a common moral ground, to help anyone on this planet to live together in harmony ?

If there is evil in religion, it has to come for a minority of exceptionally greedy folks, whose main goal is increasing material power and domination over the majority of relatively good folks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Well it seems you didn't look well into this topic.

But I have no problem to repeat myself :

For about 55 years I was a fervent " believer " in the non-existence of "something superior".

About 5 years ago I enlarged my opinion.

Now I have the tendency to believe that everything is possible :

God

Gods

A creator

We are a product of an extra terrestrial civilization

And more...

However I don't consider that one or more of these possibilities have a greater probability than the others.

In other words, I consider the opinion of the adepts of one of these beliefs as equal to the others.

Hope this is clear enough.

Thanks, it's a refreshing post from you, and you might be surprised to know that i agree very much with your vision, except for the fact that I consider worthy to study all faiths and beliefs, and try to extract the parts which are beneficial to humankind.

So, again, to dismiss all opinions as "the same" is a rather shallow way to search for the truth.

21 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Strange post.

Are you suggesting that evil would not exist without religions ?

Actually i am sure that you are not suggesting it, even our old uncle Socrates stated clearly that all wars are fought for greed.

Religion is, more often than not, just a very convenient excuse for unscrupulous leaders, to manipulate people into committing evil acts.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sure that people would have done bad things even if the Church had not existed. The words of the Christ are blessed, but bad men have used them for bad means. They were not good men, even if they said they were Christians, or Jews, or Muslims etc etc etc.

Obvious you and your followers missing the point! Religion is a powerful tool, more powerful than anything else, and it is not even a single proof of what they are talking about. Call the willingness to believe in crazy stuff, and follow people who is willing to use their power given by the people in the name of god. And Im sure it doesnt ring a bell at any of you, why it is so. 

When talking about god, you can not dismiss religion in the debate. No religion no god, no god no religion. 

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Strange post.

Are you suggesting that evil would not exist without religions ?

Actually i am sure that you are not suggesting it, even our old uncle Socrates stated clearly that all wars are fought for greed.

Religion is, more often than not, just a very convenient excuse for unscrupulous leaders, to manipulate people into committing evil acts.

It is our willingness to turn the blind eye and the death ear to what religion represent, and also the fantastic respect we learn or are brainwashed to Respect and believe in fairytales. And most recently modern phenomen (Not really, been tried out a nummerious times during the history) Religious freedom and right to believe in what you want, and also teach. We will see the crackdown again, and we will see the rise of importance monoistic Religions dominance once again. 

And again, you can dismiss religion as a concept now, but as much you guys are influenced of it as I am, even Luckyluck, we are connected somehow to the christian belief system, and under bigger crises, most people who have dismissed religion, have an tendency to turn back to it, or let themselves lead to it. 

22 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

God doesn't need (a) religion to exist, nor does he need the belief of anyone.

Whatever god is, he do not need people, people need god and people need to put everything in to a system. 

Edited by Tagged