Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

28 minutes ago, Tagged said:

"Krishnamurti believed life itself was God, and every action manifested itself with God"

I just came across this guy, and some of his messages is kind of appealing to me. Anyone read or studied him, and is it worth the time going in to his work? 

https://youtu.be/owN86vYAO3g

Absolutely yes, imho, Krishnamurti is considered by most researchers a pinnacle of spiritual science.

If I remember well, Krishnamurti, since a very early age, impressed everyone in his circles for his amazingly clear intelligence,  and became later the leading light of the Theosophical society.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Absolutely yes, imho, Krishnamurti is considered by most researchers a pinnacle of spiritual science.

If I remember well, Krishnamurti, since a very early age, impressed everyone in his circles for his amazingly clear intelligence,  and became later the leading light of the Theosophical society.

Half way trough this one, and you need some patience for them to get to the points, but a very nice panel of debaters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

"Krishnamurti believed life itself was God, and every action manifested itself with God"

I just came across this guy, and some of his messages is kind of appealing to me. Anyone read or studied him, and is it worth the time going in to his work? 

https://youtu.be/owN86vYAO3g

For sure...Krishnamurti, Paramhansa Yogananda, Ramana Maharshi, The Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali...are the top of the top when it comes to spiritual knowledge.

I found the work of contemporary Ryan Kurkzac very inspiring too. He has a more "modern" approach and (I think) he successfully integrates the above in clear and easy to understand theoretical and practical advise. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

For sure...Krishnamurti, Paramhansa Yogananda, Ramana Maharshi, The Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali...are the top of the top when it comes to spiritual knowledge.

I found the work of contemporary Ryan Kurkzac very inspiring too. He has a more "modern" approach and (I think) he successfully integrates the above in clear and easy to understand theoretical and practical advise. 

Cant believe I never came across this guy, but I guess his fame was before ny time getting interested or had the uppertunity to catch any of his work, and most of his work is published after I kind of fell to rest with my search and felt I had what I needed to create a good life. This thread inspired my curiosity again in a good way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tagged said:

Half way trough this one, and you need some patience for them to get to the points, but a very nice panel of debaters. 

Krishnamurti seems a bit old and doddery in this video, but Rupert Sheldrake expresses his view more clearly and his comments make more sense, in my opinion.

It's nor very flattering to think we are descended from animals through the evolutionary process, and retain many of those fundamental animal traits which include fighting and even killing one's male rivals in order to breed with the females, and/or gain wealth and power which is also associated with attracting the opposite sex.

Part of the process of enlightenment is to understand and become aware that we are all subject to numerous conditioned forces, both conscious and unconscious, which compel us to behave in certain ways and believe in certain things or concepts, which are the cause of our psychological problems, conflicts, depression, greed, and so on.

Learning how to 'let go' of these influences is the fundamental task on the road to enlightenment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Part of the process of enlightenment is to understand and become aware that we are all subject to numerous conditioned forces, both conscious and unconscious, which compel us to behave in certain ways and believe in certain things or concepts, which are the cause of our psychological problems, conflicts, depression, greed, and so on.

Learning how to 'let go' of these influences is the fundamental task on the road to enlightenment.

What....what happened? Whoever abducted the old VincentRJ and replaced him with this new version, ....well...thank you.  ???? ????????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

What....what happened? Whoever abducted the old VincentRJ and replaced him with this new version, ....well...thank you.  ???? ????????

There's a distinction to be made between an awareness of the usually hidden forces which motivate us, including things that keep us healthy such as good bacteria in our gut, and a belief in God. ????

11 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

This sounds more than just a matter of good bacteria...
No need to be ashamed or find excuses, VincentRJ. We won't judge you if you've changed your mind. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

There's a distinction to be made between an awareness of the usually hidden forces which motivate us, including things that keep us healthy such as good bacteria in our gut, and a belief in God. ????

Well, if you can see there is some order in the universe, including those "hidden forces", and admit the possibility that there could be some "higher than human" consciousness at work, then, a "belief in God", or whatever you want to call it, it's  not that far away ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, if you can see there is some order in the universe, including those "hidden forces", and admit the possibility that there could be some "higher than human" consciousness at work, then, a "belief in God", or whatever you want to call it, it's  not that far away ????

The concept of 'God' is extremely far away, even mind-bogglingly far away.

We know that within our own species there are significant differences in awareness, consciousness and intelligence. It's quite reasonable to speculate that there are other planets in the universe that have 'higher' forms of life than humans on planet Earth. However, they might still be limited by the speed of light.

The closest star to our Sun, which has orbiting planets, is Proxima Centauri, which is 4.25 light years away.
The fastest speed humans have traveled in space is 24,790 mph. Light travels at 671 million miles per hour, which is about 27 thousand times faster. Do your own calculation to work out how long it would take humanity to travel 4.25 light years at our current maximum speed, and how long at a future 10x or 20x our current maximum speed if we develop our technology to that level.

Considering how vast the universe is, and how many trillions of stars and planets there are, it's not unreasonable to suppose that there are millions or billions of planets with advanced forms of life. But 'God'!!  That's crazy! ????

• Like 2

I watched this Royal Institute (RI) lecture by Sean  Carrol, on the influence that chance on the world and us. Most of it I knew and I am sure most of you know also, but I did not know some mitigating  facts , such as that if the K–Pg asteroid hat hit 30 minutes earlier, or 30 minutes later ,do to the earths rotation, it would had his at a different location and the might still be around instead of us. and that the basis of DNA occurs in two different forms and differ by the position of one hydrogen,  The Keto form and the Enol form, these two different forms bond with different bases. The DNA flickers between these two state,  with the Enol form lasting only 1/1000th of a second.

Here is the interesting part, If the DNA by chance is copied on that 1/1000th of a second that it is Enol, it bonds to s different basis and a mutation happens,

All this are explained much easier in the video ,watch this short ,I am sure you will find it very interesting.

Edited by sirineou

48 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Considering how vast the universe is, and how many trillions of stars and planets there are, it's not unreasonable to suppose that there are millions or billions of planets with advanced forms of life. But 'God'!!  That's crazy! ????

Not crazy at all.

If we entertain the idea that there are infinite levels of consciousness, the existence of a supreme consciousness is quite plausible.

Yet, apparently, you are still trying needlessly to ridicule the superstitious image of God  as an old man with a white beard, looking down from the clouds.

But if I said that God is everything,  including total chaos and ignorance, you'd probably think I'm  talking nonsense..

Well, carry on ????

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

All this are explained much easier in the video ,watch this short ,I am sure you will find it very interesting.

Definitely an interesting video. The cause of the great extinction around 66 million years ago, which wiped out the dinosaurs and huge numbers of other life-forms, is not known with certainty, but a massive asteroid hitting the Earth is probably the best explanation in relation to the Geophysical evidence, which includes the discovery of the Chicxulub crater.

Without that great extinction, it's unlikely that we humans would have evolved.
I suppose those who believe in a Creator God, or an Intelligent Designer, would argue that the trajectory and timing of that asteroid's impact on the earth, was determined by God who knew what it's effects would be. Small, furry animals would be given the chance to evolve in human beings who could appreciate, understand, and love God. 

The dinosaurs were sacrificed so that Homo Sapiens could evolve and develop an intelligence and awareness that was so great that they could become aware of their Creator, and pray to Him and worship Him, satisfying His Ego. ????

• Haha 1

I suppose those who believe in a Creator God, or an Intelligent Designer, would argue that the trajectory and timing of that asteroid's impact on the earth,

And then  he waited  for  66 million years  by which time his Humans had been around for 200,000 living in sin, killing each other, and more importantly, not singing any hymns to him.

And the believers say, "he waited until we were advanced enough to receive and spread  his message "  to which I reply, , "why then did he not reveal himself to more advanced societies  around at that time , and just limit himself to a bunch of backward goat herders, with little ability to spread his word.

An the believers say, :Yea ?  well what about Hillary's Emails?" 

And I reply  "Obladi Oblada Life goes on, La la la la Life goes on"

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Without that great extinction, it's unlikely that we humans would have evolved.
I suppose those who believe in a Creator God, or an Intelligent Designer, would argue that the trajectory and timing of that asteroid's impact on the earth, was determined by God who knew what it's effects would be. Small, furry animals would be given the chance to evolve in human beings who could appreciate, understand, and love God. 

The dinosaurs were sacrificed so that Homo Sapiens could evolve and develop an intelligence and awareness that was so great that they could become aware of their Creator, and pray to Him and worship Him, satisfying His Ego. ????

Re-reading the last line of one of your earlier posts

> Learning how to 'let go' of these influences is the fundamental task on the road to enlightenment.

For a moment you had me fooled there, but I guess that old habits are hard to break.

Howling with the 'scientific' mocking-birds in the forest is of course a lot easier than letting go.

But no problem, with the right mindset in time those 'moments of truth' will pop-up more frequently...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, sirineou said:

I watched this Royal Institute (RI) lecture by Sean  Carrol, on the influence that chance on the world and us. Most of it I knew and I am sure most of you know also, but I did not know some mitigating  facts , such as that if the K–Pg asteroid hat hit 30 minutes earlier, or 30 minutes later ,do to the earths rotation, it would had his at a different location and the might still be around instead of us. and that the basis of DNA occurs in two different forms and differ by the position of one hydrogen,  The Keto form and the Enol form, these two different forms bond with different bases. The DNA flickers between these two state,  with the Enol form lasting only 1/1000th of a second.

Here is the interesting part, If the DNA by chance is copied on that 1/1000th of a second that it is Enol, it bonds to s different basis and a mutation happens,

Below is another Sean Carroll , this on a physicist, with a RI lecture i found very interesting, I don't pretend to understand everything he said perfectly well, but it does get you thinking.

When ever Hubris induses me to think I am smart, I listen to this guy for a healthy dose of humble pie. 

Edited by sirineou

11 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Re-reading the last line of one of your earlier posts

> Learning how to 'let go' of these influences is the fundamental task on the road to enlightenment.

For a moment you had me fooled there, but I guess that old habits are hard to break.

Howling with the 'scientific' mocking-birds in the forest is of course a lot easier than letting go.

But no problem, with the right mindset in time those 'moments of truth' will pop-up more frequently...

The thread is about belief in God, singular. I interpret a singular God as the one and only Creator God. However, since some societies still worship a number of different Gods with different functions, then those should be included.

The concept of 'letting go' of troublesome influences in order to become calm and clear-thinking, is very sensible and rational. It doesn't require a belief in a God. This philosophical concept was promoted 2,500 years ago by Gautama Buddha in ancient India, and by Lao Tzu in ancient China around the same time. No God was required.

My 'howling with the scientific mocking birds' is just an attempt to communicate the message that no God is required for humanity to progress towards a harmonious and prosperous world-wide society. In fact, it seems that the various beliefs in God are hampering this progress.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

The thread is about belief in God, singular. I interpret a singular God as the one and only Creator God. However, since some societies still worship a number of different Gods with different functions, then those should be included.

The concept of 'letting go' of troublesome influences in order to become calm and clear-thinking, is very sensible and rational. It doesn't require a belief in a God. This philosophical concept was promoted 2,500 years ago by Gautama Buddha in ancient India, and by Lao Tzu in ancient China around the same time. No God was required.

My 'howling with the scientific mocking birds' is just an attempt to communicate the message that no God is required for humanity to progress towards a harmonious and prosperous world-wide society. In fact, it seems that the various beliefs in God are hampering this progress.

Thanks for your sensible non-condescending response to my deliberate 'baiting post'.  

I have different views on it, but each of the paragraphs you wrote are a good starting point for a worthwhile civil exchange of thoughts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Special news item for all you devoutly religious people. ????

"Chemists at Scripps Research have made a discovery that supports a surprising new view of how life originated on our planet.

In a study published in the chemistry journal Angewandte Chemie, they demonstrated that a simple compound called diamidophosphate (DAP), which was plausibly present on Earth before life arose, could have chemically knitted together tiny DNA building blocks called deoxynucleosides into strands of primordial DNA.

The finding is the latest in a series of discoveries, over the past several years, pointing to the possibility that DNA and its close chemical cousin RNA arose together as products of similar chemical reactions, and that the first self-replicating molecules—the first life forms on Earth—were mixes of the two."

https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-events/press-room/2020/20201223-krishnamurthy-dna.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Special news item for all you devoutly religious people. ????

"Chemists at Scripps Research have made a discovery that supports a surprising new view of how life originated on our planet.

In a study published in the chemistry journal Angewandte Chemie, they demonstrated that a simple compound called diamidophosphate (DAP), which was plausibly present on Earth before life arose, could have chemically knitted together tiny DNA building blocks called deoxynucleosides into strands of primordial DNA.

The finding is the latest in a series of discoveries, over the past several years, pointing to the possibility that DNA and its close chemical cousin RNA arose together as products of similar chemical reactions, and that the first self-replicating molecules—the first life forms on Earth—were mixes of the two."

https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-events/press-room/2020/20201223-krishnamurthy-dna.html

I don't think there are any devoutly religious people left on this thread.
But if your happy with that explanation, good for you. ????

12 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

could

They'll be another theory at some other time; just like that big bang nonsense.

I know I don't contribute hardly at all to this thread, but I often look in. Some great posts on here.

Happy New Year....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, faraday said:

They'll be another theory at some other time; just like that big bang nonsense.

I know I don't contribute hardly at all to this thread, but I often look in. Some great posts on here.

Happy New Year....

Why is a big bang or contenious big bangs nonsense? It makes more sense than anything else, especially since we know collapses and forming of new and old solar systems. 

"Critics claim that the big bang theory suggests the universe began out of nothing. ... Proponents of the big bang theory say that such criticism is unwarranted for two reasons. The first is that the big bang doesn't address the creation of the universe, but rather the evolution of it."

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Why is a big bang or contenious big bangs nonsense? It makes more sense than anything else, especially since we know collapses and forming of new and old solar systems. 

"Critics claim that the big bang theory suggests the universe began out of nothing. ... Proponents of the big bang theory say that such criticism is unwarranted for two reasons. The first is that the big bang doesn't address the creation of the universe, but rather the evolution of it."

Big bangs surely happen, and i would  bet that God has a hand on them.

• Confused 2

On 12/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are also over 70,000,000 Americans who voted for Trump.

Some people would call it impressive. Others have other names for the same thing. ???? 

You appear to be obsessed with him, given you had to put him in an off topic post on a thread that has nothing to do with Trump. There's a name for that sort of thing.

Today, nature ( ie God ) is looking wonderful outside.

Edited by thaibeachlovers