Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

On 12/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, Sunmaster said:

This could be true....if you had any idea what you're talking about.
Unfortunately, you don't.

The ones pretending they know, are full of themselves.

This is of course my opinion.

Sunmaster stated his own opinion here above.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, KannikaP said:
On 12/14/2020 at 9:36 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't cure cancer, can't stop people killing each other, can't stop bullying. Science can't even stop people getting obese.

Neither does 'GOD

That's an opinion.

Maybe God doesn't want to, and that is also an opinion.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

What about you start a thread about opinions ?

I will let you know my opinion,  in my opinion of course ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You appear to be obsessed with him, given you had to put him in an off topic post on a thread that has nothing to do with Trump. There's a name for that sort of thing.

Today, nature ( ie God ) is looking wonderful outside.

It seems you think when lots of people believe something then it must be true.

I only provided an example which proves you are wrong.

Yes, it looks good outside today. Nature <> God. God does not exist.

Apart from that all the best for the new year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

What about you start a thread about opinions ?

I will let you know my opinion,  in my opinion of course ????

Glad to read that you consider the matter " opinions " as so important it should deserve an own thread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Glad to read that you consider the matter " opinions " as so important it should deserve an own thread.

Absolutely !

In fact, perhaps it would take too long to explain why, but the huge variety of opinions itself, it's a clear evidence of the existence of an intelligent design at the source of the entire existence... just in my opinion of course. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Absolutely !

In fact, perhaps it would take too long to explain why, but the huge variety of opinions itself, it's a clear evidence of the existence of an intelligent design at the source of the entire existence... just in my opinion of course. 

In my thinking, the fact that there are so many opinions, is a clear proof that there is no absolute evidence/consensus of the existence of an " intelligent design " or whatever other name one wish to use.

Of course for the believer, each in particular, will pretend that the elements he present, are clear evidences; and sure in his mind they are.

5 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

In my thinking, the fact that there are so many opinions, is a clear proof that there is no absolute evidence/consensus of the existence of an " intelligent design " or whatever other name one wish to use.

Of course for the believer, each in particular, will pretend that the elements he present, are clear evidences; and sure in his mind they are.

Exactly just in your mind.

So it's not only the believers who think that they got it right.

Once you realize that there's something called "consciousness ", and you're able to discern many, if not infinite states of consciousness,  and being able to see clearly, how vast, if not infinite,  the number of visible stars is, how many are the chances that "consciousness " is something which belongs, in the whole universe, to humans only ?

...0 chances in my opinion.

As we are able to determine the purity of any material element, it's obvious that "pure consciousness " must exist, with or without humans.

But that's just my opinion, no doubt about that.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:
30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Exactly just in your mind.

So it's not only the believers who think that they got it right.

Once you realize that there's something called "consciousness ", and you're able to discern many, if not infinite states of consciousness,  and being able to see clearly, how vast, if not infinite,  the number of visible stars is, how many are the chances that "consciousness " is something which belongs, in the whole universe, to humans only ?

As we are able to determine the purity of any material element, it's obvious that "pure consciousness " must exist, with or without humans.

And here the eternal mantra :

"we know, you don't, we have access to the " knowledge", you don't, we are particular, you aren't, the ways to reach it are there, if you don't succeed, keep trying, we succeed, we know better, one day you will understand too "

Ok, this is a forum,

keep going with that, I will keep going with declaring it is haughtiness.

"we know, you don't, we have access to the " knowledge", you don't, we are particular, you aren't, the ways to reach it are there, if you don't succeed, keep trying, we succeed, we know better, one day you will understand too "

Ok, this is a forum,

Edited by luckyluke

14 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Ok, this is a forum,

Jeez, I thought I was quite logical and unassuming, but when you have no arguments you cry haughtiness.

Well, cry me a river then ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I didn't call you names,  did i  ?

No, not at all,

you pretend I had no arguments.

We differ in opinion in this, hence I state that you have your own perception of the situation. Which is different from mine

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you think when lots of people believe something then it must be true.

I only provided an example which proves you are wrong.

Yes, it looks good outside today. Nature <> God. God does not exist.

Apart from that all the best for the new year.

My belief in God has nothing to do with anyone else, as one would know had they read all my posts.

I do wish that Trump haters realised that it gets really tiresome when hate Trump posts appear on threads that have nothing to do with Trump. That is a part of the reason I don't post on TVF any more ( these 2 posts excepted ).

Nature is real, IMO God is nature- ergo God is real.

A good 2021 to yourself and all on TVF.

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

There's no doubt that 'consciousness' does not belong only to humans. All life-forms appear to have some form or some degree of 'consciousness', depending on how broad the definition of that term is.

Even plants can sense when some prey or insect is nibbling their leaves. The plants respond by creating toxins which make their leaves less palatable.

Eagles have far better eyesight than humans and can spot a rabbit as far as 2 miles away. Owls have excellent vision at night, and the Mantis Shrimp might have the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom. Humans have three types of cones, for red, green and blue. The Mantis Shrimp has 16 types of cones.

A similar situation applies to our other senses. A dog's sense of smell is amazing, compared with ours. Each species, over many generations, refines and develops its 'consciousness' of certain aspects of its environment which are relevant to its survival., known in Evolutionary terms as 'Survival of the Fittest'.

The significant characteristic of humans, which separates us from all other animals, is our capacity for language and abstract thought, which is probably the result of a genetic mutation which is the basis of all changes in life-forms and animal characteristics throughout the history of life on Earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

That's your perception of the situation.

I share his perception. You have the annoying habit of "calling out" people who you perceive as having more knowledge about a specific topic that you don't have. Should they all be quiet because they may offend you and your inferiority complex? 

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

This pearl especially shows what you're all about. Can a person know something more than you without you feeling hurt? Do you feel hurt when you talk to a astrophysicist? A doctor? Do you think they are being haughty when they talk about their knowledge? Or do they have to apologize to you first for knowing more than you? 
I'm not saying I'm an expert in anything. I'm sharing my point of view just like everyone else, but you seem the only one having a problem with that.

And who claimed they've succeeded in anything? Nobody here did, and certainly not me.  That's all in your head.
Yes, the tools are there and you can use them or don't. Up to you. But don't point at those who do use them and try to shame them for doing so.

Happy New Year

Edited by Sunmaster

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I feel sorry for you man.
As usual, you've got nothing to contribute to the topic other than a personal attack.
Sad man.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

There's no doubt that 'consciousness' does not belong only to humans. All life-forms appear to have some form or some degree of 'consciousness', depending on how broad the definition of that term is.

Even plants can sense when some prey or insect is nibbling their leaves. The plants respond by creating toxins which make their leaves less palatable.

Eagles have far better eyesight than humans and can spot a rabbit as far as 2 miles away. Owls have excellent vision at night, and the Mantis Shrimp might have the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom. Humans have three types of cones, for red, green and blue. The Mantis Shrimp has 16 types of cones.

A similar situation applies to our other senses. A dog's sense of smell is amazing, compared with ours. Each species, over many generations, refines and develops its 'consciousness' of certain aspects of its environment which are relevant to its survival., known in Evolutionary terms as 'Survival of the Fittest'.

The significant characteristic of humans, which separates us from all other animals, is our capacity for language and abstract thought, which is probably the result of a genetic mutation which is the basis of all changes in life-forms and animal characteristics throughout the history of life on Earth.

Well, thanks for stating the obvious, but my point is, given the extremely wide range of states of consciousness we are able to live and witness without looking too far,  is that it's entirely plausible that what we call " consciousness " may well be an entity on it's own.

Some people call it God. 

• Confused 2

Being "God Almighty" must have been a really boring job. The guy, or gal, sat around from the beginning of time (whatever that means) until about 14.8 billion years ago, and finally had a brilliant idea:

"I need me some praise and adoration, so I'm going to construct a universe of some trillion galaxies, each with hundreds of trillions of stars, I'll toss planets around most of them, and in one obscure galaxy I'll name after a candy bar, amidst that galaxy's hundred trillion stars, I'll put a planet and set in motion an evolution from fungi, lichens and amoeba that will eventually lead to homo sapiens, who will then call me great, akbar, or whatever else I need to feel good about myself again, tell me they love me, talk to me every day, ask for help on their kid's math exam, build me some special houses, and try to follow whatever rules I decide to make for them. Then I'll knock up one of them, walk away from her pregnancy, watch the kid grow up with his deadbeat dad (me!), and I'll convince everyone that if they nail the kid, I'll let all of them into a country club I'm building in the sky somewhere, where they can then sit next to me forever and realize just how boring eternal perfection is and finally understand why I created all of them in the first place."

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I feel sorry for you man.
As usual, you've got nothing to contribute to the topic other than a personal attack.
Sad man.

Another personal perception, interesting to know, as every opinion/perception is,

but also to be catalogued  immediately by myself as insignificant. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

We are electrochemical entities that have developed a brain which presents an illusion of the world around us from the energy it receives......when the brains stops working we no longer perceive anything, we no longer exist......we are dead.

Consciousness is just another illusion stemming from the brains activity.

I heard that explanation before, but I find it very shallow.

Even if you say that everything is illusion,  which I would agree, without consciousness one would not be able to say that...

Next..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I heard that explanation before, but I find it very shallow.

Even if you say that everything is illusion,  which I would agree, without consciousness one would not be able to say that...

Next..

Ultimately there are only waves in fields....that is all the universe is......you might argue that consciousness exists if it is considered a wave, but once the disturbance (the wave) dies down then that's it......the brain might be able to create that wave, but again, once the brain stops, the wave stops. 

Edited by Surelynot
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

God is love

Love is blind

Stevie Wonder is blind

Therefore Stevie Wonder is God......

Is that how your logic works?

Now I know why many blind people in Thailand sell lottery tickets. They are all god and they decide who is allowed to buy the winning tickets. It seems god doesn't want that I win the lottery.

• Haha 1