Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

A beautifully crafted sentence missing only one word at the beginning, "Arguably"  every point you made can be argued to the contrary  

By the way, why does the source of inspiration has to be a "who" and not a what?

I read it as a very funny satirical piece myself.

I've been at the religion game in a psychological way for over 30 years and have only met a couple of people who come even close to that level of belief. I've a couple of short vids to post but if I may I'd like to say something about religious fundamentalism since it has come up. I've always had a soft spot for the fundamentalists because they are at least being honest about the book/text they believe in rather than the radicals who just pick and mix as they go along. The reason behind this is that you know what a fundamentalist thinks whereas with a radial who takes it al la carte you have no idea at all.

No, I don't believe so ..., on probability there is no god...., or if there was/is..., he/she is on really, really..., really..., long service leave...., and when it comes down to it...., what service would that be ?

Well, hush up my typing fingers ! 

..., obviously, I require and old school interventionist god.

Edited by Sandy Freckle
clarification
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Thanks for the Maths lesson, but I'm still confused. The approximate, estimated age of the universe has been claimed to be between 13 and 14 billion years as far back as I can remember, when the expansion of the universe was believed to be slowing down. More recent observations from the Hubble telescope, with more advanced technology, show that the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating. No-one knows why.

For all we know, there could be another trillion galaxies that we will never be able to observe because they are travelling away from us at greater than the speed of light.

The current explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe is the 'hypothesis' that there exists a huge quantity of totally invisible and undetectable matter and energy which is having a negative gravitational effect. This mysterious substance has been given the names, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. The quantity required, to explain the observed rate of expansion, is claimed to represent about 95 to 96% of all the matter and energy in the universe.

In other words, if the hypothesis is correct, we have reach the stage, after all our technological advances, of being able to detect just 4 to 5% of the matter and energy that surrounds us. The rest is as undetectable, so far, as the magical spirits that religious people believe in.

The other issue about the Big Bang I have difficulty comprehending, is how such an enormous amount of matter and energy, possibly over 20 times the amount we can currently potentially detect, can be compressed to a single point.

However, it would make more sense if the dimensions of that single point were like a Black Hole which was a hundred trillion kilometers, or more, in diameter. 

Although the expansion is accelerating the Hubble constant (or should i say parameter) is actually decreasing.

The Hubble parameter is currently ~70 km s-1 Mpc-1 and it will decrease to around ~63 km s-1 Mpc-1 over the next few billion years. As long as this parameter is a non zero value then the universe will grow exponentially, because the HP is a speed with an extra unit of distance and the speed will always increase with distance giving the accelerated expansion.

The age of the universe would be the same regardless of whether the universe was accelerating or slowing down.

As you say, the reason for the accelerating expansion is due to the mysterious Dark matter/energy that cosmologists say dominates the universe. I believe it has something to do with the 'energy-density' which is the amount of energy/m3 in the universe. For baryonic matter/energy (the stuff we're made of) the energy-density decreases as the universe expands, but for dark matter/energy the energy-density remains constant, so ultimately over time the dark matter/energy dominates. Its the new cosmological constant.

One theory suggests that dark matter could possess negative mass eg -1 kg, which would explain the repulsive force of gravity and why it seems to be uniform across the universe because it doesn't clump together like the matter stars and planets are made of. It doesn't interact directly with normal matter only through its gravatational effects which is observed in galaxy rotation curves, until a dark matter particle is detected then it will remain elusive.

Matter/energy is conserved in the universe so the early universe would have been a very hot and dense place like a soup of plasma and its hard to get your head around the idea of all that matter/energy crushed to a point, but strange things do happen to matter on a quantum level. Atoms are are 99.999 empty space and if you scaled up an atom to the size of a football stadium where the electrons are orbiting at the perimeter of the stadium, then the nucleus of the atom would be about the size of a golf ball at the centre of the pitch.

When a large dying star collapses to form neutron star, the matter of the neutron star has been crush by immense gravity, where the electrons have been forged into the nucleus and this process gives the star its high density. 

If you took a piece of neutron star about the size of a matchbox then it would contain roughly the same amount of mass as Mount Everest and would weigh around a billion tonnes. When black holes are formed from the collapse of some massive stars then the matter is crushed even more which is not fully understood yet, scientists call it a 'singularity' its not a physical thing but a place where mathematics brake down. I think we will have to wait for another Einstein to come along to fill some of the gaps before we can answer some of the big Questions.       

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

No, I don't believe so ..., on probability there is no God...., or if there was/is..., he/she is on really, really..., really long service leave...., and when it comes down to it...., what service would that be ?

Well, hush up my typing fingers ! 

..., obviously, I require and old school interventionist god.

what service would that be ?/

That of a Lord. It's another interesting aspect in a psychological sense with regard to those who don't believe there is a god or supreme being but wish or hope that there is. It is a desire to be a slave and from whence came 'but if I am free, then who will be my master?'.

22 minutes ago, Elad said:

but strange things do happen to matter on a quantum level.

That's when the fun starts.

Dark matter and energy are just terms to describe aspects we have observed but not understood though I have a feeling you already know.

30 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Fortunately...., in the real democratic secular world...., different people get to believe different things..., so you sir can believe whatever you want...., and I will please myself also. 

We can only dream. I'm 100% for it and have gone into depth before in this thread but it seems that some within our species are unable to leave their toys at home. It's none of my business what toy they have if any, nor what they do with that toy, but it has to be understood that some people don't want to play with the toy. Maybe I'm 'old skool'

• Like 1

Gallup poll USA may 2017.  48% of people educated at high school level or less believe in creation.

postgraduate  21%.  

Something is wrong with the USA education system.

992418401_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_04_11.png.9ff09ff283967e37ba21dbd2bb5c328c.png

1978492469_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_23_42.png.1032510185671e854506222cf01a15c9.png

38% believe in creation. 

38% believe in god guided evolution 

24% believe god had no part.

So thats roughly three-quarters of Americans believe god was involved in mans creation.

Poll in 2016.  Iceland. .

1820026030_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_54_56.png.2e99a8a3ca0456dfac01a929acf6f758.png

Denmark and Sweden not far behind where over 80% believe in evolution.    

Do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them how to think for themselves, how to evaluate evidence, to question, and how to disagree with you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yodsak said:

Gallup poll USA may 2017.  48% of people educated at high school level or less believe in creation.

postgraduate  21%.  

Something is wrong with the USA education system.

992418401_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_04_11.png.9ff09ff283967e37ba21dbd2bb5c328c.png

1978492469_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_23_42.png.1032510185671e854506222cf01a15c9.png

38% believe in creation. 

38% believe in god guided evolution 

24% believe god had no part.

So thats roughly three-quarters of Americans believe god was involved in mans creation.

Poll in 2016.  Iceland. .

1820026030_ScreenShot2019-05-28at13_54_56.png.2e99a8a3ca0456dfac01a929acf6f758.png

Denmark and Sweden not far behind where over 80% believe in evolution.    

Do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them how to think for themselves, how to evaluate evidence, to question, and how to disagree with you.

So, if we accept that "god" was not involved in man's creation, what did create man? He didn't just spring into life out of nothing.

Does it occur to the naysayers that "god" may not be in a form we recognise, but is the components of life and matter. Perhaps "god" is just a formless force that created the big bang, and left it to carry on with however it turned out, or perhaps I'm in the matrix, and I'm imagining all this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, if we accept that "god" was not involved in man's creation, what did create man?

Befor  wondering who created man   isn't  there  a primary question: Who or what created God?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Or another unanswerable question: 'Why is there something rather than nothing?'

Go to school then you can answer it.  Or I can but I'm not free.  I'll answer it for 1362 baht. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Once again, you seem to be of the opinion that "god" is an active being, regulating and controlling life, and do not consider that having created life, the universe and everything left it to it's own devices.

For all we know, "god" is busily creating loads more universes, and doesn't have time to be a good parent to ours.

I certainly don't know the answers, and I'd really like to know that if "god" exists, where s/he/it came from to be able to create everything.

Where we differ is that I accept that I don't "know" the answers, but you seem to believe that you do.

IMO, we are nothing in the vastness of the universe, and sooner or later we will vanish like the other 99% of species, to be replaced by something else.

C'mon dude! I'm of the not so secret opinion that no god(s) exist! After nearly 90 pages of me...you haven't figured that out yet??? My arguments are against those whom believe such nonsense! Others are of that STUPID, idiotic, ridiculous opinion...not me. Such as the fundie from CM. It's ABSURD!

Here's my argument against YOU. 

You have the ridiculous audacity to claim for all we know??? For all we know...there is NO thing you refer to as God. That should be the end of IT. But NOOOO...you don't see it that way. 

Well maybe this will help. I could say...for all we know, UNIVERSE CREATING PIXIES OR MUTANT SLUG THINGAMABOBS from URANUS or this or that...and it would have just as little meaning to all of us here on planet Earth, as your silly, ignorant, ridiculous, childlike claim. I DON'T CARE ABOUT SILLY CLAIMS AND UNKNOWABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES. They mean nothing and impact NOTHING. PLEASE try to absorb this. 

You're a Deist. OK Fine. I don't give a shit! That means nothing. It solves nothing and there is no reason for anyone, including you, to give it any consideration. Deism brings nothing to the table. ZERO! As far as any of us, including YOU, are concerned...a deistic thing whom has no interest nor effect on us is even more IRRELEVANT than those whom believe in a interactive one. 

I hope this makes my position...and your nonposition...a bit clearer now.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Why create the impression that you are so silly? ????

The guy asked a silly simple question.  He got a silly answer.  His question and the answer are covered in many lower level college courses. 

Edited by marcusarelus

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The guy asked a silly simple question.  He got a silly answer.  His question and the answer are covered in many lower level college courses. 

Maybe covered but not satisfactorily answered.

Problem of why there is anything at all
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_why_there_is_anything_at_all

"This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page."

"This article needs attention from an expert in Philosophy. (April 2019)"

"The examples and perspective in this article may not include all significant viewpoints. (April 2019)"

On 4/14/2019 at 9:31 PM, CharlieH said:

No offence to those that do,  but for me, its just  "an invisible friend for adults".

Why should there have to be no offence, too many people are   offended these  days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

Maybe covered but not satisfactorily answered.

Problem of why there is anything at all
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_why_there_is_anything_at_all

"This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page."

"This article needs attention from an expert in Philosophy. (April 2019)"

"The examples and perspective in this article may not include all significant viewpoints. (April 2019)"

I didn't say wiki answered it.  I suggested going to college and enrolling in courses that cover that topic.  I doubt that many PhD's are here giving you information for free. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't say wiki answered it.  I suggested going to college and enrolling in courses that cover that topic.  I doubt that many PhD's are here giving you information for free. 

I don't need to enroll in a college course that covers the topic. The internet and Google Scholar provide far more information than I have time to read. Even the Wiki article I referenced provides links to dozens of scholarly articles on the subject.

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that 'nothing' does not exist. The word 'nothing' is simply a metaphor or human construct used to describe 'anything which is currently invisible or cannot be detected in any way'. What appears to be empty space is probably not empty at all, especially considering the possibility that Dark matter & Energy exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, CMNightRider said:

I believe God programmed them in their DNA. 

he didn't program anything. he couldn't, because he doesn't exist. Never did.

1472019540_ScreenShot2019-05-29at09_05_53.png.daca95d73c56c7180162717050bd396a.png

Edited by yodsak

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

The word 'nothing' is simply a metaphor or human construct used to describe 'anything which is currently invisible or cannot be detected

Nothing - emptiness, stillness is what remains if everything that exists (detected or not) is removed.

Nothing does not exist? Does space exist? There is matter and energy fields and waves and whatever form - being inside space. You can remove (or imagine to remove) all those existing forms. But how can you remove - or imagine to remove - the empty space?

Next question: is the empty space nothing - or something?

Every form made of any substance (matter, wave, field, thought! ...) is impermanent (Buddha) it changes or disappears. 

But how can space change or disappear?

Empty space is the one thing that always exists and never changes. Imperturbable, unchanging.

Comes close to a definition of God - doesn't it (imminent - transcendent...)

(I wanted to continue - but this is enough for now)

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Nothing - emptiness, stillness is what remains if everything that exists (detected or not) is removed.

Nothing does not exist? Does space exist? There is matter and energy fields and waves and whatever form - being inside space. You can remove (or imagine to remove) all those existing forms. But how can you remove - or imagine to remove - the empty space?

Nothing-or hell if you are a Christian-will consist of people addressing each other as "dude"...

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1