Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Nothing - emptiness, stillness is what remains if everything that exists (detected or not) is removed.

Nothing - emptiness,  is what we imagine would remain if we were able to detect every type of matter and energy that exists and if we were able to remove it. Stillness is relative, and is what we experience or feel.

Emptiness, nothingness, and the various Gods, are merely human constructs of the imagination. The current hypothesis in Astrophysics is that 96% of the matter and energy in the universe is currently undetectable by us. Even if we were able to create a vacuum in a chamber at a temperature of Absolute Zero and block out all the known types of electromagnetic radiation, that chamber would not necessarily be empty of all Dark Matter and Energy, or Gravitons, if such particles of Gravity exist, or lots of other particles and waves whose existence has not even reached the level of a hypothesis.

Edited by VincentRJ
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, CMNightRider said:

When one looks at the planet earth and all the plant life, sea life, and creatures that inhabit it including us, there is no way anyone could actually believe "we all came from evolution, from scrapes and still we evolve."   Something cannot come from nothing as some people would like you to believe.

You and a few others who have made silly comments on this site regarding their disbelief in God and his word as written in the Bible, appear to be suffering from spiritual blindness.  When you are spiritually blind you can't see Christ due to a hardened heart and won't come to the knowledge of the truth.

When you are spiritually blind you are separated from God.  People in false religions like Catholicism, Mormonism, Islam, Jehovah Witness, act. are examples of spiritually blindness.  Eyes are useless when the mind is blind.

Corinthians 4:3-4 If the Good News we preach is hidden behind a veil, it is hidden only from people who are perishing. Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God. ????

The bible was written by a council of elders in 400 AD.  Regarding life. 'There is was and ever shall be the potential for life. Religion is for wonen, children and weak men.

Edited by sunnyboy2018

37 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The bible was written by a council of elders in 400 AD.  Regarding life. 'There is was and ever shall be the potential for life. Religion is for wonen, children and weak men.

Huh???  What???  You have got to be kidding me.  

The Bible was written over a span of 1500 years, by 40 writers. Unlike other religious writings, the Bible reads as a factual news account of real events, places, people, and dialogue. Historians and archaeologists have repeatedly confirmed its authenticity.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your limited and distorted knowledge regarding the history of the Bible and religion.  

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

I'm  speechless , and  not  in  a  good way!

I'm sorry to hear that.  It must be difficult being spiritually blind and unable to speak too.  I certainly hope your disability isn't permanent.  ????  

37 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  It must be difficult being spiritually blind and unable to speak too.  I certainly hope your disability isn't permanent.  ????  

Whatever happened to turn the other cheek, or love, peace and understanding? Hypocrisy at it's finest, but christians are good at that as are all religions.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

IMO, religious people are at best kidding themselves and at worst suffering a mental illness.

Just look at the current problem with that poor girl being burnt alive in Bangladesh, to shut her up. And Asia Bibi.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

IMO, religious people are at best kidding themselves and at worst suffering a mental illness.

Just look at the current problem with that poor girl being burnt alive in Bangladesh, to shut her up. And Asia Bibi.

And your point is.......?  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

I don't need to enroll in a college course that covers the topic. The internet and Google Scholar provide far more information than I have time to read. Even the Wiki article I referenced provides links to dozens of scholarly articles on the subject.

I guess going to college and getting a doctor of philosophy is obsolete. Sorry, I never thought of that. 

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess going to college and getting a doctor of philosophy is obsolete. Sorry, I never thought of that. 

Not at all. There have been millions of Doctorates in Philosophy issued throughout the centuries and most of their (at the time) ground-breaking research has later proved to be wrong.

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Nothing - emptiness, stillness is what remains if everything that exists (detected or not) is removed.

Nothing does not exist? Does space exist? There is matter and energy fields and waves and whatever form - being inside space. You can remove (or imagine to remove) all those existing forms. But how can you remove - or imagine to remove - the empty space?

And there's also time which is woven in to 3 dimensional space making it 4d spacetime. Time is relative. 

• Like 1

In different reference frames clocks tick at different rates, for example, atomic clocks on the surface of earth tick more slowly that those on GPS satellites in orbit. Astronauts on the ISS will age more quickly than we do on the surface. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elad said:

In different reference frames clocks tick at different rates, for example, atomic clocks on the surface of earth tick more slowly that those on GPS satellites in orbit. Astronauts on the ISS will age more quickly than we do on the surface. 

So time is relative to what?  Hint the difference between Newton and Einstein. 

59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So time is relative to what?  Hint the difference between Newton and Einstein. 

Time (in one frame of reference) is different to time in another frame of reference. Einstein

Time is the same everywhere (Newton)

Newton's system is a good approximation if the speed is much smaller than the speed of light.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Link please

A link to what, precisely? The number of Phds awarded world-wide since the 12th century AD? There's probably no precise information available on that. I admit my use of the word 'millions' is likely an exaggeration. 'Hundreds of thousands' is more certain. The following article lists the countries with the most people who have been awarded doctorates as at 2014. They total about 170,000. Adding more recent awards and those countries that were not included in the list, plus all the awards granted in previous centuries, world-wide, would certainly bring the total number into the 'hundreds of thousands'.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/countries-with-most-doctoral-graduates/

As regards the research later being proved usually to be wrong, I mean usually wrong in at least some aspects, and to some degree, not necessarily totally or completely wrong.

Science is always a work in progress. Nothing is truly settled.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, owl sees all said:

She being burnt was nothing to do with "God". That was evil men, whatever their professed motivation.

I've been gone a couple of days, and we are now on the meaning of "time". Good grief.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, VincentRJ said:

I don't need to enroll in a college course that covers the topic. The internet and Google Scholar provide far more information than I have time to read. Even the Wiki article I referenced provides links to dozens of scholarly articles on the subject.

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that 'nothing' does not exist. The word 'nothing' is simply a metaphor or human construct used to describe 'anything which is currently invisible or cannot be detected in any way'. What appears to be empty space is probably not empty at all, especially considering the possibility that Dark matter & Energy exists.

and where did all that "dark matter" and energy originate? That's what I want to know.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, yodsak said:

he didn't program anything. he couldn't, because he doesn't exist. Never did.

1472019540_ScreenShot2019-05-29at09_05_53.png.daca95d73c56c7180162717050bd396a.png

The only way you could possibly know that would be if you had died and if there was no afterlife you wouldn't know anything.

Just because you believe something doesn't exist, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

BTW, to all those that don't believe in god, but do believe in "love" as in "loving" another person ( not sexually ), the concept of "love" is just as irrational as believing in something that can't be seen, heard, felt or communicated with ie God.

"Love" is just a genetic program that ensures the survival of the human race, by making people think they want to procreate with another person, and bring up the result of procreation together. 

The reasons that can be used to support the concept of "love" are same as the reasons for believing in "God". Love is something that can't be seen, heard, felt or communicated with. It's just a "feeling", same as having a "feeling" that god exists.

Actually, "love" is just pherenomes causing a chemical reaction in another person, and whom we "love" is due to programming in our brain.

In most cases, "love" doesn't last very long, often no longer than it takes for the woman to have her children and then the man is dumped. So much for "love" the biggest con of our age, IMO.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, user305 said:

Whereas the bible is both settled and wrong.

How did you come to this conclusion?  Have you given any thought to the consequences when you take your final breath, and find yourself kneeling before Jesus?  

From God to us, the Bible is true, reliable, and inspired.  You have until your final breath to figure this out.  I would venture to say, for those who take their final breath as a non-believer, you will have an eternity filled with regret ????                                    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

How did you come to this conclusion?  Have you given any thought to the consequences when you take your final breath, and find yourself kneeling before Jesus?  

From God to us, the Bible is true, reliable, and inspired.  You have until your final breath to figure this out.  I would venture to say, for those who take their final breath as a non-believer, you will have an eternity filled with regret ????                                    

At that point the only thing i will be sure of is that science has failed me.

2 hours ago, Elad said:

Not sure, can you explain?

See my post #1348 Posted 8 hours ago.

In different frames of reference (with different speed) time passes  different
For instance you have a slow moving mass and a fast moving mass.
Time in the slow moving mass passes slow and in the fast mass faster.
Science fiction often refers to that. When astronauts come back, having been moving fast in space
they might be 10 years older but on our planet may be 100 years have past. They don't meet their family any more only their grand grand children

But the effect can be measured only with speeds near the speed of light - otherwise the difference is so small, you cannot measure. 
When you return after a trip with yourt car you will not be aware of a time shift.
It matters only in astrophysics and particle physics
  • Like 1