Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

7 minutes ago, yodsak said:

Ok, thanks.  jesus confirmed the bible is factual. Thats good enough then. No need to question it. Verify it.

lol

Bible narrative doesn't prove the existence of the Jesus character never mind a god and wouldn't pass muster to most a thinking person. 100 pages and some are still waiting for someone to elucidate us all as to why something is true. 

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I can't prove these don't exist either, but I don't waste my time on them.

but I don't waste my time on them.

Seriously? 55555555555555555

You've been banging on on this thread as long as I have. Certainly wasting your time if you think you are going to change the believer's minds with your opinions.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notmyself said:

lol

Bible narrative doesn't prove the existence of the Jesus character never mind a god and wouldn't pass muster to most a thinking person. 100 pages and some are still waiting for someone to elucidate us all as to why something is true. 

I'm still waiting for someone to elucidate us all why "God" isn't true.

Of course that would require dying, and coming back to life with some sort of evidence other than "I died and didn't see anything before I was resuscitated".

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Why waste your time arguing about something you can't even describe or define and admittedly can never understand?

For the same reason you keep arguing about something you can't prove doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's an interesting debate and has helped me think more deeply about what faith means to me.

So thank you, you have in fact made me more deeply faithful than I was before I read your posts.

8 hours ago, notmyself said:

Not my claim ergo not my burden to define.

Nope.... assuming the question is even valid. 

Therefor everything must be considered true until proven to be false including the judicial system where you will be guilty until proven innocent and 'not guilty' wouldn't even exist.

I'm not going to give you a like because of your use of font colour. If you keep to black I'll consider giving you a like next time, if I agree or it makes me laugh, or gives me food for thought even.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course that would require dying, and coming back to life with some sort of evidence other than "I died and didn't see anything before I was resuscitated".

Interesting.

11 minutes ago, notmyself said:

lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-that-jesus-christ-lived-and-died

The historical evidence for Jesus of Nazareth is both long-established and widespread. Within a few decades of his supposed lifetime, he is mentioned by Jewish and Roman historians

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not going to give you a like because of your use of font colour. If you keep to black I'll consider giving you a like next time, if I agree or it makes me laugh, or gives me food for thought even.

It makes it easier for blind or poor sighted people to understand when using a reader because it assigns a designation. Also works for people of sight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yodsak said:

Ok, thanks.  jesus confirmed the bible is factual. Thats good enough then. No need to question it. Verify it.

So when Lamech was born, nine generations were alive at once.

Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, Methusela, and Lamech were all alive at the time of Lamech's birth.

So Adam lived to see his great-great-great-great-great-great grandson. 

Any scientific reason for this longevity? Special diet, lack of diseases? Genetics?

We started off with Adam made from dust, in a gods image. Eve was made from a rib, and we have a talking snake. [also a talking donkey later in the book] And after the flood, the greatest act of genocide ever, only eight people were left on earth. From which we are all descended. Incest? 

And life expectancy dropped dramatically. Why?

993748133_ScreenShot2019-06-10at09_34_40.png.c6e7650132df409c872e10cbe1a6cdca.png

608859977_ScreenShot2019-06-10at09_34_57.png.f3f0a40b15a5c50b0dce5dea89d76351.png

4     Moses only lived to 120.

According to peer reviewed science/data.

Life expectancy in the bronze age 26 

1950 world average 48 

2014  world average 71.5

Sam Harris on creation.

''The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency''

According to “The Encyclopaedia of Biblical Prophecy” by J. Barton Payne, there are 1,239 prophecies in the Old Testament and 578 prophecies in the New Testament for a total of 1,817.  These prophecies are contained in 8,352 of the Bible’s verses.  Since there are 31,124 verses in the Bible, the 8,352 verses that contain prophecy constitute 26.8 percent of the Bible’s volume.

The reasons there are so many Biblical Prophecies in the Bible, is God wanted us to know the Bible is His word.  One would have to be spiritually blind not to see the Bible is the word of God and to not know Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins.      

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-that-jesus-christ-lived-and-died

The historical evidence for Jesus of Nazareth is both long-established and widespread. Within a few decades of his supposed lifetime, he is mentioned by Jewish and Roman historians

72AD is the absolute earliest and the Jesus character is an amalgamation of at least 2 people/stories and perhaps 5 or 9.  5 is a push and 9 is just ignoring basic reason but certainly 2. The mythicists say that no Jesus character/s existed at all but then why have the fictitious going back for a census story? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but I don't waste my time on them.

Seriously? 55555555555555555

You've been banging on on this thread as long as I have. Certainly wasting your time if you think you are going to change the believer's minds with your opinions.

Have a nice day.

KNEW this lame-ass argument was coming back from you. Almost addressed it pre-response in the last post, to save us both some time.

I don't waste my time on THEM. I am willing to graciously donate my time to try to help irrational, illogical, woo-sayers and Fundies see the errors of their ways and enjoy pointing out all the flaws and ridiculous illogical fallacies you're wallowing in. Just trying to help! 

You're a deflector. When you are presented with rational arguments that crystal clearly expose your silly statements and show that you have no position...you deflect, "strawman", ignore and change the subject. 

Every day is a nice day thank you kindly. :coffee1:

Edited by Skeptic7

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I don't waste my time on THEM. I am willing to graciously donate my time to try to help irrational, illogical, woo-sayers and Fundies see the errors of their ways and enjoy pointing out all the flaws and ridiculous illogical fallacies you're wallowing in. Just trying to help! 

You're a deflector. When you are presented with rational arguments that crystal clearly expose your silly statements and show that you have no position...you deflect, "strawman", ignore and change the subject. 

:cheesy:

You are such a joker.

When you are presented with rational arguments

I have yet to see a "rational" argument from the nay sayers.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For the thing you want to be educated and "elucidated" on to be true or even considered as existing...there first has to be some evidence of it. There is NONE. You can't even describe or define this thing...yet you want OTHERS to explain it to...YOU. :cheesy:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, notmyself said:

72AD is the absolute earliest and the Jesus character is an amalgamation of at least 2 people/stories and perhaps 5 or 9.  5 is a push and 9 is just ignoring basic reason but certainly 2. The mythicists say that no Jesus character/s existed at all but then why have the fictitious going back for a census story? 

So the Romans that actually lived in those days got it wrong, and someone centuries later got it right?

Sure.

11 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The reasons there are so many Biblical Prophecies in the Bible, is God wanted us to know the Bible is His word.  One would have to be spiritually blind not to see the Bible is the word of God and to not know Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins.      

Virgin birth was introduced much later and sold as prophecy yet there is no prophecy I know of. Perhaps a story was slowly being embellished?

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

For the thing you want to be educated and "elucidated" on to be true or even considered as existing...there first has to be some evidence of it. There is NONE. You can't even describe or define this thing...yet you want OTHERS to explain it to...YOU. :cheesy:

LOL. None of the so called evidence that has been provided thus far actually proves that "God" does not exist. It's just a load of opinions.

I have stated why I have faith. If you missed that, that's not my fault.

Excellent. Faith is not belief.

There's a story about a boy who went to school, and he truly believed that anyone not carrying a wooden cross would be burned to death at the close of school.

He went mad before lunch time thinking about the horrors that would befall his fellow students.

I suggest you all do the same. Christians are insane by definition, so all arguments are futile and pointless. 

• Like 1

I have respect for believers whatever/whoever they may believe in.

I disdain the believers who try to convince others that their believe is the only right one, and that they are the only ones who "know".

I am 70+, at 12 I decided to do good as much as I could, never to do bad intentionally, and that I didn't need any belief to acting this way.

Over the years some tried to convince me it was the so called, God, Allah, Yahweh...( according to their own belief } who/which submit me these way of handling.

I scorned them, and still do, to be so arrogant and intolerant.

41 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I have respect for believers whatever/whoever they may believe in.

I disdain the believers who try to convince others that their believe is the only right one, and that they are the only ones who "know".

I am 70+, at 12 I decided to do good as much as I could, never to do bad intentionally, and that I didn't need any belief to acting this way.

Over the years some tried to convince me it was the so called, God, Allah, Yahweh...( according to their own belief } who/which submit me these way of handling.

I scorned them, and still do, to be so arrogant and intolerant.

Yes theirs is the only one to believe. There are countries almost like Pakistan, Hundreds of millions of people  most of them Mohammedans who never did anything bad. Yet they are to be spiritually "destroyed"  a so-called "soul" damned to "Hell" for all time.  Mormonism seems kind of complicated, like some kind of cult, some of the most honest hard working people you will ever meet. It is called the Church of Jesus Christof Jesus Chris, for christs sake ! Jews and Catholics damned! Mother Theresa and Einstein in hell.  Evangelical Christians are arrogant, and many total hypocrites.  Many of them don't really believe this rubbish they just do it to fit in, especially in the southern part of the US I have been told as much by confidants. I have used  a similar tactic on an airplane if some one tries to "witness" you just say something like "too blessed to be stressed brotha'" and they will shut up.

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

Virgin birth was introduced much later and sold as prophecy yet there is no prophecy I know of. Perhaps a story was slowly being embellished?

Over seven hundred years before Jesus was born, the prophet Isaiah enlarged upon the Protevangelium (Protevangelium is a compound word of two Greek words, protos meaning "first" and evangelion meaning "good news" or "gospel".  Thus the protevanglium in Genesis 3:15 is commonly referred to as the first mention of the good news of salvation in the Bible).

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign: Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

(Isaiah 7:14)

The name Immanuel means, "God with us." Isaiah is appending to Genesis 3:15 the information that the virgin-born conqueror of Satan would be God Himself in the flesh.

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Over seven hundred years before Jesus was born, the prophet Isaiah enlarged upon the Protevangelium (Protevangelium is a compound word of two Greek words, protos meaning "first" and evangelion meaning "good news" or "gospel".  Thus the protevanglium in Genesis 3:15 is commonly referred to as the first mention of the good news of salvation in the Bible).

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign: Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

The name Immanuel means, "God with us." Isaiah is appending to Genesis 3:15 the information that the virgin-born conqueror of Satan would be God Himself in the flesh.

:crazy: :cheesy:

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Nah. I know they can't, but they expect me to believe opinions.

Tell you what I believe- whatever created life, the universe and everything is "God". I will never believe that all the matter that makes up the universe, the stars and us just appeared out of nothing.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nah. I know they can't, but they expect me to believe opinions.

Tell you what I believe- whatever created life, the universe and everything is "God". I will never believe that all the matter that makes up the universe, the stars and us just appeared out of nothing.

Cheers.

Whatever gives you comfort.

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I have met several who claimed they were virgins, or just "had" one man one husband, but he died, got divorced. Turns out otherwise evertime. Thai women who lie, how novel. The historical Jesus, or amalgamation of several historical individuals was born of a woman who had some kind of close contact with sperm, most likely sexual penetration, it could have reasonably been frottage, or heavy petting.  I have encountered a few women whose lady parts make penetration difficult or they suffered from vaginismus and they needed some type of therapy. The idea that a man is the son of a god is mythology back to the ancient Greeks with Zeus going around raping mortals. There is also suggestion that the Greeks mistranslated a Hebrew word for young, but not necessarily virgin woman and thus created a false of a false mythology. Even today there is a question of what constitutes female virginity. An intact hymen? No history of vaginal penetration? (good excuse for muslim women I read) No scientific proof of "virgin" human births exists unless you talk of a woman who never got near a man but was impregnated by artificial insemination. Mary could have theoretically have also been born a genetic chimera with some balance of x and y chromosomes and intersex organs. Parthenogenisis is only observed in fish, birds, and reptiles and should be discounted as a theory.  In 1998 a teenage girl in Lesotho born with no vagina gave birth by c-section. She ha beeb stabbed in the belly after performing oral sex on her boyfriend and sperm entered her abdomen due to her injuries.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/teen-girl-vagina-pregnant-sperm-survival-oral-sex/story?id=9732562

Edited by Date Masamune
  • Like 1

Nope.   Not a believer.   I think when you are dead, it's all over.   Not a pleasant thought, but that the way it is, IMO.   I have nothing against those that believe, especially those that do so from a spiritual rather than a dogmatic place.   

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:10 PM, Lacessit said:

I really wonder how that is reconciled with crucifixes or portraits of the Virgin Mary, which one can find in many Catholic homes.

Or the ones in millions of church’s and the stained glass windows depicting the images 

There is only one sin that can’t be forgiven, and that is the sin of rejecting Him and refusing His offer of forgiveness and new life in Jesus Christ.  This alone is the unforgivable sin, because it means we are saying that the Holy Spirit’s witness about Jesus is a lie (see Luke 12:10).

Why is it so serious to reject Christ?  The reason, is because of who He was.  He wasn’t just another religious teacher; He was God in human flesh—but when we deny this, we limit Him and assume He is unable to save us.  The Bible is clear: “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known” (John 1:18).

The main reason why it’s so serious to reject Christ, is because He is God’s appointed means of salvation.  Our greatest need is to have our sins forgiven; if we don’t, we have no reason to expect God to welcome us into Heaven.  But by His death and resurrection Christ provided the way for us to be forgiven and cleansed of all our sins.

Don’t turn your back on Christ or refuse His offer of forgiveness.  Instead, by a simple prayer of faith ask Him to come into your life today—and He will.  Think of it:  Before you go to bed tonight, you can know that God has forgiven every sin you ever committed! Commit your life to Christ without delay.

Heaven or Hell, it's your choice.  You have until your last breath to choose.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

There is only one sin that can’t be forgiven, and that is the sin of rejecting Him and refusing His offer of forgiveness and new life in Jesus Christ.  This alone is the unforgivable sin, because it means we are saying that the Holy Spirit’s witness about Jesus is a lie (see Luke 12:10).

Why is it so serious to reject Christ?  The reason, is because of who He was.  He wasn’t just another religious teacher; He was God in human flesh—but when we deny this, we limit Him and assume He is unable to save us.  The Bible is clear: “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known” (John 1:18).

The main reason why it’s so serious to reject Christ, is because He is God’s appointed means of salvation.  Our greatest need is to have our sins forgiven; if we don’t, we have no reason to expect God to welcome us into Heaven.  But by His death and resurrection Christ provided the way for us to be forgiven and cleansed of all our sins.

Don’t turn your back on Christ or refuse His offer of forgiveness.  Instead, by a simple prayer of faith ask Him to come into your life today—and He will.  Think of it:  Before you go to bed tonight, you can know that God has forgiven every sin you ever committed! Commit your life to Christ without delay.

Heaven or Hell, it's your choice.  You have until your last breath to choose.

I reject it all! I reject all gods, especially yours...just to make you squirm! ???? 

I choose NEITHER. NO GODS, NO MASTERS. No devils or demons...no ghosts and ghouls. No heaven or hell. No silly, childish scary monsters. No imaginary friends. 

Time to grow up son! ????

• Like 1