Day Three: Songkran road deaths show a dramatic drop

webfact

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

This is the lull before the storm. The travelling has stopped. The death rate will soar when the return journeys begin.

Same as I was thinking, day 2 & 3 people had arrived at their destinations.. just wait for Sunday night onwards I'm sure it'll be back up to normal figures.

Didn't we read last week that a much higher percentage of Thais were leaving the country for Songkran than usual?  Higher baht etc etc.

Also, maybe inflation has bitten into some of the more persistent drinkers' budgets?

So, fewer people on roads, less money to spend in general.....

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

How sick, lower death toll being put forward as good news.

One death is one too many, fanfare about a lower death toll, bloody sick bar stewards.

It is good news. Same in my country too, a lower holiday road toll is something considered as good news.

If if it is up today will you celebrate? 

All the hard work the police are doing is starting to pay off. Saving lives. And you criticize from your computer. 

One death is too many? Don’t know where you are from but I doubt your country has no holiday season road deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cougar52 said:

I am very confused, Sat fist day 42 people dead, Sun day 2 62 dead totally 104, now on day 3 70 more dead total 174, it looks like to me the death toll is going up every day!!!

They are quoting the comparisons versus last year.

Last year there were 48, 72 and 90 deaths respectively so yes they are down year on year. Hardly anything to cheer about though.

A post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

Down nearly 18%?

Don't believe it. More like the statistics have been massaged to make the carnage appear better.

In any case hardly dramatic. Now if the reduction was, say 50%??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

This is the lull before the storm. The travelling has stopped. The death rate will soar when the return journeys begin.

I think you are right , up here the traffic is quiet , the parties are well under way ( as are the fires on the hills but another topic ). Wait 'til they set off back , half asleep and still half mau.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

Does 'deaths' mean died at the scene?

How many died on their way to hospital, I wonder?

Nevertheless, it is all terribly sad, the carnage here.

Edited & @sakopete.

You got your post in before mine. 'Great minds' & all that.

Ambulances are under instructions to get them outa there before they die. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

How sick, lower death toll being put forward as good news.

One death is one too many, fanfare about a lower death toll, bloody sick bar stewards.

In your view it is bad news if less people die?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Ambulances are under instructions to get them outa there before they die. 

That is quite normal, bring the patient to the Hospital when still alive.

Seems Like a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

These "lower" stats are just random numbers plucked out a monkeys bottom.

Can these stats be verified ? 

I'm sure they can if you want to delve further into the monkey's bottom.

Some sort of 'analysis'.

• Haha 1

It does not matter how the Thai Authorities try to massage the death toll figures on the roads, whether it be an " ordinary " day or Songkran there is no getting away from the facts.

Thai roads are one of the ( if not the most ) dangerous roads in the World.

9 hours ago, faraday said:

Down nearly 18%?

Don't believe it. More like the statistics have been massaged to make the carnage appear better.

It's not strange that the numbers will be reduced over time as for every day that passes it will be less people on the road ...

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

From what I have seen Songkran has been completely taken over by the Chinese leaving no room to crash????

... nor to breathe ...

• Like 1

As long as thai people will not learn seriously how to drive situation will not evolve .You add to that, the drunk driving , druged driving , overspeed driving , mobilephone driving ,trafficked car and motorbike unsafe , lack of police control , lack of radar and inappropriate punishment to road killer.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the WHO an average 66 people die on Thailand’s roads each day.

Totally irrelevant information in an attempt to make things look better than they actually are.... these figures are from a source which never matches thai police reporting

so, for relevance, police numbers should only be compared to previously recorded / reported police numbers

2019.... 174 deaths ... 58 per day over 3 days

2018.... 188 deaths... 62.6 p/d/3

2017.... 169 deaths... 56.3 p/d/3

2016... 181 deaths... 60.3 p/d/3

so..... sure.... down a little over last year, but up a little over the year before.... I’m sure the average will be about average, once all’s said and done.

of note..... if you want to reference WHO numbers, Thai police numbers are generally about half of what WHO assert, as the average rate... ergo.... the real number (vs police number) could well be 116 per day over the three days

this hypothetical number of 116 is what can be compared to the WHO daily average of 66.... so.... not so good in that light.

Edited by farcanell

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The Road Safety Directing Centre’s numbers cover the period from April 11 to 13. The first three days show a drop of 17.1% in road deaths. Injuries are down 9.5%.

YAY ! Fantastic !

????

Still 82.9% short in that drop.

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It does not matter how the Thai Authorities try to massage the death toll figures on the roads, whether it be an " ordinary " day or Songkran there is no getting away from the facts.

Thai roads are one of the ( if not the most ) dangerous roads in the World.

Primarily because of the design.  So many things done in Thailand that wouldn't be done elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure they can if you want to delve further into the monkey's bottom.

Some sort of 'analysis'.

Have truly better things to do than rummage in a monkeys bottom.

Maybe you could do the verification for me. :cheesy:

• Haha 1