Happy Songkran as much of the nation DRIVES DRUNK

webfact

3 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Start running a good, safe and reliable 24 hour local bus service in all cities and bigger towns and the drink driving numbers will fall. People have no real alternative to get home after a night other than driving. This is all the failure of authorities.

you could even make the services free, do you think thais will take advantage of a safe option, the answer is NO.

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

Thais drive drunk everyday even if their not drunk!

There's just more deaths during Songkran.

Actually, there are usually fewer deaths per day during Songkran - this has been mentioned several times already on other threads, but according to WHO statistics, the average is 66 fatalities per day. So far, the figures have been below that and that's been true for the last several years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

"nearly one hundred thousand drivers stopped for being drunk, and more than 2,000 vehicles seized"

why wasnt 100.000 vehicles seized and crushed in front of TV, and newspapers?

Repeat this message daily on tv news for a 1 year.

That might been a  wake up.

I think poor writing, 100, 000 stopped for testing - - - 

I find all of these articles very confusing. Just now I've seen two, one with with the following heading "road deaths show a dramatic drop" and immediately after that the other one had this to say about the road carnage 9ver Songkran "accidents see a sharp spike". 

So which is it then? 

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

I find all of these articles very confusing. Just now I've seen two, one with with the following heading "road deaths show a dramatic drop" and immediately after that the other one had this to say about the road carnage 9ver Songkran "accidents see a sharp spike". 

So which is it then? 

'Up to you' as we say here.

Start running a good, safe and reliable 24 hour local bus service in all cities and bigger towns and the drink driving numbers will fall. People have no real alternative to get home after a night other than driving. This is all the failure of authorities.

All failure of authorities. Then individuals have no need to be responsible for their actions.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So which is it then? 

Perhaps not all accidents result in a death?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fishtank said:

I don't believe a word of it.

A Thai would never indulge in such behavior.

We all know they are perfect. 

Of cause they are perfect, but they are getting better,????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

No, you are absolutely wrong. You give the drunk/drivers a silly argument. The Only real thing is: Dont drink and drive!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sharktooth said:

To be honest I can’t tell the difference between a drunk Thai driver and any other Thai driver.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!

To be honest I can’t tell the difference between a drunk Thai driver and any other Thai driver.

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

where they going to put all the bus stops.....???

Out in the country the buses will stop to let you off and on anywhere, and as long as it is done safely, I think that is a good thing.

Jails are not big enough to combat drink driving.. 

time to change the law..

DUI stopped & breathalised is 6 months working in ICU to witness the results of drink driving.

An accident caused by DUI no injuries gets 6 months in barracks for males & a similar detention facility for females, followed by 6 months in ICU for both sexes.

Accident causing injuries gets 5 year mandatory jail.

Accident causing death gets mandatory manslaughter 20 years jail!

The message will get through!

57 minutes ago, dcnx said:

There is an event at Thapea Gate in Chiang Mai for Songkran. It’s a big stage event with traditional dancers and music. Lots of chairs.

To my absolute surprise I heard the presenter say in English, addressing the foreigners, that they should not drink alcohol during Songkran because it’s against Thai customs to do so. 

I laughed out loud. 

The lengths these people will go to and the lies they will tell in a sad attempt to hide their hideous culture and reckless way of life is humorous. 

this would come as no surprise to anyone who has spent time here. denial is a national pastime.

I remember a time in the uk when it was acceptable or at least ignored to drive drunk,but then in the 60s Public opinion changed and it was in time roundly condemned.

The police and courts did a great job of hammering offenders which they still do.

Now to Thailand all drivers who fail the breath test should have the vehicle in question towed to a private lot where it incurs Hefty fines per day. 

This would have seen a figure in excess of 90,000 vehicles towed with a few days still to go. 

The money that the courts would acrew would be astronomical and rightfully so.

There is no painless way of educating the perpetrators who indulge in the intent of 2nd degree murder or Manslaughter through drink driving.

I apologize for my rant I’m new here.

• Like 1

Came across in my research editing work that thailand is the 5th leading country in the world on consumption of alcohol by volume....it tended to be young to middle age...

the other number that stood out is a high % of Thais don’t drink which meant that those who do, a large % of Thais met the definition of an alcoholic and binge drinking.

you combined those stats with a non compliance mindset towards driving regulations, you end up with drunks on the road all the time not just during holidays which unfortunately the gov misleads the public about Thai drinking....

Edited by cardinalblue

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed myself today among the festivities taking place all along the Beach Road here in Rayong. No trouble, no fights, at least that I could see, just happy respectful people everywhere having a great time. It really made my day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed myself today among the festivities taking place all along the Beach Road here in Rayong. No trouble, no fights, at least that I could see, just happy respectful people everywhere having a great time. It really made my day.

I think the Rayong armageddon is on the 20th? You got the light summer breeze before the level 6 hurricane. Although I don't think there's a winner over the utter carnage of Pattaya on the 19th.

Edited by DrTuner

This is for many reasons the best time to take a holiday outside Thailand. Goes doubl6if you need a car to get you about. If you can't afford to do that, then just hole up for a week. Really no sympathy for farang getting injured in this annual shitfest. You want songkran, go to Luang Prabang.