Leaving Thailand with the child on overstay can be troublesomes ?

Leaving Thailand, with a child on overstay can be troublesomes ?

Especially for a solo parent ? Can they deny the child leave Thailand and ask a affidavit of the another parent or any kind of any bureaucratic process for a child on overstay leaving Thailand with one parent ?

I mean only the child are on overstay.. not the father.

A friend's Thai wife will be traveling to the UK next month with a son who is on 14 years overstay.

The son will be traveling on a British passport (doesn't have a Thai passport) and Thai immigration have confirmed that this will not be an issue.

Whether the child will be able to leave with a single parent is independent of any overstay issue.

How old is the child now? Penalties begin to apply when a child has reached their 15th birthday.

To ensure the child will be allowed to leave, you should get a letter from the other parent, together with a signed copy of the identity card.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

To ensure the child will be allowed to leave, you should get a letter from the other parent, together with a signed copy of the identity card.

Or better, go to the local Aphor office and get an official letter-permission to take the child out of Thailand. Both parents, and the child, need to be present (if nothing changed since about a year ago). Copies of ID-cards and passport are normally needed.

• Like 1

I suggest having a copy of the child's birth certificate(s) with you, it is helpful to link the family name, if asked (I was advised).  We did not have to show any additional Docs, when we flew out in March (though my son was using his Thai Passport to exit).  

@Jip99I know from bitter experience that letter from the Amphor is a good thing to have, without it, it's pain in the ass at immigration.

So this is just a pondering point.

My son who is dual US/Thai. You usually use their foreign passport at check in to show they have legal right of entry to the country you are flying to, then their Thai passport at immigration.

But without a Thai passport, and I'm assuming he was born in Thailand, how without a Thai passport do you exit, since he never entered the country with a visa?

Edited by GinBoy2

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

@Jip99I know from bitter experience that letter from the Amphor is a good thing to have, without it, it's pain in the ass at immigration.

So this is just a pondering point.

My son who is dual US/Thai. You usually use their foreign passport at check in to show they have legal right of entry to the country you are flying to, then their Thai passport at immigration.

But without a Thai passport, and I'm assuming he was born in Thailand, how without a Thai passport do you exit, since he never entered the country with a visa?

The boy was born in the UK, came to Thailand aged 6 months, with a British passport on a visa exempt entry, and is now 14 years old.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:41 AM, BritTim said:

Whether the child will be able to leave with a single parent is independent of any overstay issue.

How old is the child now? Penalties begin to apply when a child has reached their 15th birthday.

He has until June to depart without penalty.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The boy was born in the UK, came to Thailand aged 6 months, with a British passport on a visa exempt entry, and is now 14 years old.

If I were you, I'd just get him a Thai passport, and that parental letter.

Then you do the standard foreign passport at check in, Thai passport at immigration, since if he entered on a UK passport isn't he technically on overstay?

24 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

If I were you, I'd just get him a Thai passport, and that parental letter.

Then you do the standard foreign passport at check in, Thai passport at immigration, since if he entered on a UK passport isn't he technically on overstay?

Cheers, not that easy. Born in the UK, lived in Thailand for 14 years, mother in Thailand; the father, my friend, in the UK.

He is on 14 years overstay.

Immigration have confirmed that departing on the UK passport will not be an issue and the overstay will be cleared on departure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, khunPer said:

Or better, go to the local Aphor office and get an official letter-permission to take the child out of Thailand. Both parents, and the child, need to be present (if nothing changed since about a year ago). Copies of ID-cards and passport are normally needed.

I had a problem at airport immigration when I first took my son out of Thailand to USA on a USA passport. I used a generic form I found online to have his mother transfer legal guardianship to me and also had stated our son had permission to travel to USA to go to school. Had copies of her ID card signed and went to a lawyer to have the documents notorized. They still pulled us aside at immigration departure, ended up having to call his mom and talk with her. I was told to go to Amphur to have papers done there with her and my son. We will do before he leaves next time just to make sure no problems. Is there a certain form at the Amphur we fill out or should I just do an updated consent form I used before and we go there and have them stamp it? If there is a form where can I find it so I can fill it out before we go to the Amphur.

Also, I am thinking that since he passed through immigration last time and we came back he has an arrival stamp in his USA passport. That and along with the consent form I used (updated to this year) that would work alone, Any ideas on that?

Will still go to the Amphur and do but I wonder if a consent form (updated) and arrival stamp that would work. He will be on an overstay, I have a retirement visa, he is 5 years old, so no penalty for his overstay as long as I am current with my 90 day check in. Thanks for any facts anyone can provide. Would like to know if the Amphur requires their own consent forms or can I use the one I use

1 hour ago, tootall said:

I had a problem at airport immigration when I first took my son out of Thailand to USA on a USA passport. I used a generic form I found online to have his mother transfer legal guardianship to me and also had stated our son had permission to travel to USA to go to school. Had copies of her ID card signed and went to a lawyer to have the documents notorized. They still pulled us aside at immigration departure, ended up having to call his mom and talk with her. I was told to go to Amphur to have papers done there with her and my son. We will do before he leaves next time just to make sure no problems. Is there a certain form at the Amphur we fill out or should I just do an updated consent form I used before and we go there and have them stamp it? If there is a form where can I find it so I can fill it out before we go to the Amphur.

Also, I am thinking that since he passed through immigration last time and we came back he has an arrival stamp in his USA passport. That and along with the consent form I used (updated to this year) that would work alone, Any ideas on that?

Will still go to the Amphur and do but I wonder if a consent form (updated) and arrival stamp that would work. He will be on an overstay, I have a retirement visa, he is 5 years old, so no penalty for his overstay as long as I am current with my 90 day check in. Thanks for any facts anyone can provide. Would like to know if the Amphur requires their own consent forms or can I use the one I use

Thanks for your comment.

The amphor – where I live, might have different procedures in other provinces – same office as issue ID cards, has the standard letter in the IT-system, and fill in the blanks.

My letter looks like this...

734155474_Amphor-travel-letter-2018copy.jpg.de37444218a413b16c99068dfd421653.jpg

To my knowledge, the best way with dual-nationality is to use the Thai passport when leaving and entering Thailand, and foreign passport (USA for you) when entering and leaving the foreign country.

However, with a Thai entry stamp in a USA passport, it might be less complicated, if the family name is the same. I don't know if "overstay" might cause some delay in the airport when its a child's overstay, and not fined. User @ubonjoe would be the right person to answer this, and give general advice.

Obtaining a Thai passport is a fairly simple procedure, but both parents need to be present when apply for a child/minor. I don't know if it can cause any future problems – presuming your son has Thai citizenship – using a foreign passport when leaving, and entering, Thailand.

????