Private hospitals overcharging: 30-300 percent

webfact

16 hours ago, rabas said:

I've been here 33 years, in and out of hospitals and I can't believe those prices.  There are enough MRI clinics in Thailand that MRI prices tend to follow market forces, and the medicine price is all wrong. 

If it were me, I would consider suing to get my money back. In spite of what some people say, Thai courts can be quite fair. First, make a formal request in writing for all related medical records, forward them to another Dr. if needed, or get the doctor to request them.

There could be an even bigger issue, which may be why they used so many doctors after they found the spot in her lung. Their treatment for Lupus (which is very hard to diagnose accurately) may have caused her Tuberculosis.  This may also be why they failed to discuss the issues.

Tuberculosis is a common bacteria and people who are treated for Lupus can get TB because of the immunosuppressant agents used.  Here is a medical paper that discusses secondary TB in patients treated for Lupis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376776/

If she does not have Lupis and contracted TB in the hospital while being ripped off financially, you may have a very good case. I hope your lady friend is doing well.

Thank you for the link. You were correct and this is exactly what happened to her.  Subsequent blood tests indicated extremely low blood platelet count with a diagnosis of SLE resulting in 4 days hospitalization with immunosuppressant drugs prescribed.  Bloating and weight gain occurred for a month followed by weight loss from 51kilos to 37 kilos (normal 47) over a period of 4 weeks.  A lung infection developed and was subsequently identified as tuberculosis.  During the second hospitalization many other doctors got involved.  The two original doctors who we were very happy with only work a day or two a week and were absent so we were referred to a doctor who immediately had her admitted and changed the other doctors prescriptions and started ordering all types of tests and procedures.  He was responsible for 4 at least four other doctors getting involved until I challenged him and put a stop to it.  He was very unhappy about this and became unpleasant to deal with. After the nurses hung the small IV bags with drugs and left the room I noted the names and doses.  I requested an updated billing, discovered the excessive overcharging and finally demanded a discharge. I consider 30 times the list price overcharging.  I would not consider any legal action as I think it will be a waste of time and money.  Up until this point I had been happy with the quality of the hospital and staff but I guess they have discovered the US model of health care.    

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Le Bua with some friends. I ordered a steak and it was 3,000baht.

I can get an equally good Australian steak for 1,000baht at the Dukes restaurant.

Sure, Le Bua had a better view, but I was charged 300% for the same steak, cooked as well as the Dukes, just with a better view.

There are thousands of restaurants in the Bangkok area. I guess I should look around more and choose one that is more in line with what I'm prepared to pay, and if Le Bua charges too much, then maybe they will go out of business...or is the reputation and quality of the restaurant and service and supposed Chef worth the extra money.

Only you can decide.

...you see what I did there.

150 posts and counting. We can all let off steam here as much as we like but it won't achieve anything. Therefore I have written to the man whose name is mentioned in the article at the start of this thread. If 150 of us wrote we might just achieve something.

Khun Wichai Pochanakit

Director General

Ministry of Commerce

Internal Trade Department 

563 Nonthaburi Rd. Bang Krasor, Nonthaburi 11000

Website

https://www.dit.go.th/en/

e mail

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

Hopefully you explained you are only speaking for yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, GAZZPA said:

but they must operate fairly. if you get taken to one for urgent medical help and they charge you so much you lose your shirt hoe can tat be right?

Who decides what is fair? Why should they get to decide how a private hospital bills? I know my hospital uses these kind of mark-ups, I'm happy to pay for it because of the quality of service, doctors, technology and facilities. If hospitals pricing is restricted then they can't compete on quality, they will instead compete on cost by reducing staff numbers and hiring the cheapest people for the jobs. Some people might want that, they can go to those hospitals, I don't, don't force every hospital to conform to your needs.

25 minutes ago, wprime said:

Who decides what is fair? Why should they get to decide how a private hospital bills? I know my hospital uses these kind of mark-ups, I'm happy to pay for it because of the quality of service, doctors, technology and facilities. If hospitals pricing is restricted then they can't compete on quality, they will instead compete on cost by reducing staff numbers and hiring the cheapest people for the jobs. Some people might want that, they can go to those hospitals, I don't, don't force every hospital to conform to your needs.

Not true.Public hospitals are much better and cheaper choice for us with same or even better service!

Not true.Public hospitals are much better and cheaper choice for us with same or even better service!

Then there should be no complaint. People who prefer public hospitals are welcome to go there. People who prefer private hospitals at a higher cost should be able to go there. This is fee enterprise. It is like the argument that Apple charges too much for their phones, while various other manufacturers supply an equal product at a lower cost. Let the consumer decide. Like Beta vs VHS. Let the consumer decide.

2 hours ago, DLock said:

There are thousands of restaurants in the Bangkok area. I guess I should look around more and choose one that is more in line with what I'm prepared to pay, and if Le Bua charges too much, then maybe they will go out of business...or is the reputation and quality of the restaurant and service and supposed Chef worth the extra money.

You forgot the show-off factor which for Thais is a commanding force. They should up the steak price to 50k so the peasants stay away when puyai comes to impress his mianoi.

Not sure how that would work in a hospital. Gold plated plaster?

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You forgot the show-off factor which for Thais is a commanding force. They should up the steak price to 50k so the peasants stay away when puyai comes to impress his mianoi.

Not sure how that would work in a hospital. Gold plated plaster?

Nah... just put a Mercedes Benz logo on the hospital gurney and charge the Phuyai Farang price.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, mania said:

The scary part will be when they show when it is uncovered how many unnecessary operations are sold

Exactly, a person I know had an AICD implanted at a cost of 750,000THB without his or anyone else's consent in the Samitivej hospital in SriRacha (much more to this including lies from hospital staff). When he got back to the UK his Doctor told him it was completely unnecessary and a 50,000THB pacemaker would have been a better option. 

10 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Then there should be no complaint. People who prefer public hospitals are welcome to go there. People who prefer private hospitals at a higher cost should be able to go there. This is fee enterprise. It is like the argument that Apple charges too much for their phones, while various other manufacturers supply an equal product at a lower cost. Let the consumer decide. Like Beta vs VHS. Let the consumer decide.

Your Apple analogy does not work for this example because in a hospital setting you may not able to to determine if the service, procedure or drug you are given is a value or even needed.  Prescribing grossly overpriced medicine and needless procedures to generate revenue is not free enterprise it is fraud. 

6 minutes ago, griffon2011 said:

Your Apple analogy does not work for this example because in a hospital setting you may not able to to determine if the service, procedure or drug you are given is a value or even needed.  Prescribing grossly overpriced medicine and needless procedures to generate revenue is not free enterprise it is fraud. 

I'd agree with that.

If looking to buy an Apple you have the opportunity to research your purchase at leisure.

Usually when you go to a hospital it's often in an emergency, although there could be the chance for a non-urgent operation you could find out more first.

Having said that, it's not easy as a patient to know what drugs might be prescribed for you and whether they are even necessary, let alone know whether they may be overpriced.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, Letseng said:

Any idea how to find an interpretor?

Maybe in a secondary school ;

Go to one of them where you are living and ask if there is one or more farang working there as a teacher ..

When you speak with one of them, ask him or her if he or she knowns somebody who can assist you at the hospital...

In Thailand, if you pay correctly somebody you will have who you need.

I don't know how much you have to pay somebody  to be your interpreter for half a day ;

I think maximum 500 baht . :jap:

Spent 5 hours in a government hospital yesterday, they charged me 50bht extra for being a foreigner. Total bill was 350bht, including emergency room treatment & 2 months of meds. The private clinic that sent me there didn't charge me at all. (60bht urine test, 90bht hospital services, 86bht hospital supplies, 50bht foreigner charge, 60bht two months medications) 

Don't feel I was overcharged, how much is the NHS prescription fee these days?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Spent 5 hours in a government hospital yesterday, they charged me 50bht extra for being a foreigner. Total bill was 350bht, including emergency room treatment & 2 months of meds.

(60bht urine test, 90bht hospital services, 86bht hospital supplies, 50bht foreigner charge, 60bht two months medications) 

Always good to read real positive experiences in the Kingdom

I'd agree with that.
If looking to buy an Apple you have the opportunity to research your purchase at leisure.
Usually when you go to a hospital it's often in an emergency, although there could be the chance for a non-urgent operation you could find out more first.
Having said that, it's not easy as a patient to know what drugs might be prescribed for you and whether they are even necessary, let alone know whether they may be overpriced.

Think you will find that some doctors..nurses and pharmacists can speak english..my local govt. hospital certainly are well " stocked " re english speaking staff.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 Eleven is popular because it clearly lists the price and its the same everywhere. Unlike one big hospital chain. Maybe 7 should provide outpatient services? Crap a 7 latte and ham cheese sandwich and get a pecker reduction. 

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Spent 5 hours in a government hospital yesterday, they charged me 50bht extra for being a foreigner. Total bill was 350bht, including emergency room treatment & 2 months of meds. The private clinic that sent me there didn't charge me at all. (60bht urine test, 90bht hospital services, 86bht hospital supplies, 50bht foreigner charge, 60bht two months medications) 

Jesus Christ! Looking at those prices, where was this.... Nakhon Nowhere?

I just spent 60000 B at Bumrungrad, and that was just for lab tests.... there is more expense to come!

6 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I just spent 60000 B at Bumrungrad, and that was just for lab tests.... there is more expense to come!

Just outside Chiang Mai. Spent another 250bht yesterday (doctor wanted to leave stuff hanging off me for a week, I wanted to try without, so he took it off and said they would put it back tomorrow if my choice didn't work out, he was right of course). Meanwhile, consulted a doctor in the UK about my treatment (pal in the Uk lives in a hospital, has nothing to do but chat with the doctors and staff), UK doctor says he would have given me the same treatment and drugs.

Sure it takes a few hours to get anything done as there's a fair amount of waiting around.

But on the other hand, I can just walk in at any time and be seen and treated, in the UK I would need to wait a week or two for a doctors appointment. If you are retired and have plenty of time to spare, there's no valid reason to pay extra for the private hospitals.

Overall very happy with the service given me in Thai government hospitals, both now and in the past.

Although not happy about the illness.

Please remember that you're paying for the " name " and the fancy all singing/dancing razamatazz.
The quality and experience of a Consultant..general doctor and nursing stall is of paramount importance..NOT the " posh " name.
Cheers

Imo..the Thai general health service is EXCELLENT..easily on a par with the UK nhs.
I salute the Thai health service.

Just outside Chiang Mai. Spent another 250bht yesterday (doctor wanted to leave stuff hanging off me for a week, I wanted to try without, so he took it off and said they would put it back tomorrow if my choice didn't work out, he was right of course). Meanwhile, consulted a doctor in the UK about my treatment (pal in the Uk lives in a hospital, has nothing to do but chat with the doctors and staff), UK doctor says he would have given me the same treatment and drugs.

Sure it takes a few hours to get anything done as there's a fair amount of waiting around.
But on the other hand, I can just walk in at any time and be seen and treated, in the UK I would need to wait a week or two for a doctors appointment. If you are retired and have plenty of time to spare, there's no valid reason to pay extra for the private hospitals.

Overall very happy with the service given me in Thai government hospitals, both now and in the past.
Although not happy about the illness.

Please remember that you're paying for the " name " and the fancy all singing/dancing razamatazz.
The quality and experience of a Consultant..general doctor and nursing stall is of paramount importance..NOT the " posh " name.
Cheers

Sorry..meant to say STAFF not stall.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pedrogaz said:

Anyone using a private hospital is wasting their money. Go public. This is gouging and nothing less. Not only that, but having spent my career in healthcare, I can tell you that they perform ineffective and wasteful procedures to drive up the bills, which is totally unethical.

Isn't that against the Hippocratic Oath?

2 minutes ago, AtoZ said:
On 4/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pedrogaz said:

Anyone using a private hospital is wasting their money. Go public. This is gouging and nothing less. Not only that, but having spent my career in healthcare, I can tell you that they perform ineffective and wasteful procedures to drive up the bills, which is totally unethical.

Isn't that against the Hippocratic Oath?

I would suggest you're confusing it with a hypocritic oaf.

12 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Cheers

True, but for my condition there is no one at the Govt hospitals. I am forced to go private.

Archived