Private hospitals overcharging: 30-300 percent

webfact

Wait a minute, how is this OVERcharging?

If i look up the definition of overcharging i see synomyms like "defraud", "cheat", and "shortchange".

So if the hospital lists a price of 10,000 baht but the bill will be more, than its overcharging.

But thats not the case here, is it?

The hospital charges a certain fee, and that is what you are supposed to pay in the end.

Thats not overcharging, that is charging.

Private hospitals charge 30-300% above costs.

Just as almost every company in the world charges above costs, so they can make a profit.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, faraday said:

Ok, 300% does seem ambitious, but private hospitals are businesses.

Many of the drugs are available from the pharmacies in town - often at little more than half the price charged by the hospital. The consultants I see always ask me if I want the hospital drug or can buy in town.

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Wait a minute, how is this OVERcharging?

If i look up the definition of overcharging i see synomyms like "defraud", "cheat", and "shortchange".

So if the hospital lists a price of 10,000 baht but the bill will be more, than its overcharging.

But thats not the case here, is it?

The hospital charges a certain fee, and that is what you are supposed to pay in the end.

Thats not overcharging, that is charging.

Private hospitals charge 30-300% above costs.

Just as almost every company in the world charges above costs, so they can make a profit.

When I been in a hospital and ask before the services are performed how much, when my bill comes it has an extra zero or two. Overcharging yes. 

40 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

The rule in Thailand is to overcharge all the farangs.

Maybe and I'm not certain about that ;

but is the rule for farang is to go obigatory to private hospitals ?

I'm living here since 14 years and when I need to go to an hospital I always go to the public hospital where nearly all thai people go .

Why don't you go to public hospitals ?

They have very good doctors,

the same drugs as in private hospitals ,

often more medics materials ...

One example ,

the public hospital of Sawang Daen Din, in Sakon Nakhon province ( Issan ) has 

two rooms for X-Ray,

one for scintigraphy,

one for Scanner ,

and one for RMI;

When you pay 4 0r 5,000 baht for a chest x-ray, I pay less than 500 baht ..

and so on ...

And a private room with color TV, airco, private toilets and another bed for somebody of the family is at 700 baht the day ...

3 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

The Hospital I used to use, St Louis, Bangkok, started to have separate billing for Thais and foreigners. The foreigners prices for everything, went through the roof. How on earth do they get away with it ?

I have been to this 'non profit' Hospital and found it not much cheaper than Bumrungrad! Last year went to another for a check up, Mrs asked for the price the week before- definitely no more than 7k quoted. When we went in and it was in my name they wanted 11k.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I have been to this 'non profit' Hospital and found it not much cheaper than Bumrungrad! Last year went to another for a check up, Mrs asked for the price the week before- definitely no more than 7k quoted. When we went in and it was in my name they wanted 11k.

You got the special "farang" price! ????

Sorry everyone knows this, who has ever used any of these hospitals, in Udon, you take the first medicines from the hospital then toddle off down to the local pharmacy and get the same thing for a mere fraction of the price. 

What gets me is the Insurance companies that pay a vast proportion of these private hospital bills are happy with the cost. 

Ok, 300% does seem ambitious, but private hospitals are businesses.

This to me is an issue... I do think that as a private, for-profit enterprise, they do and should price themselves to in order to produce a return on equity that fairly, adequately and appropriately compensates their shareholders who have put up (with possible investment loss risk) assets to form and run the business.

That said, I am not wholly against some form of price controls that insure reasonable access to said services.

I think it has to be a balance.. I don’t think you can run - from a cost or revenue perspective - a state/public hospital the same way you can (or should) a privately owned hospital.

To me the state really shouldn’t be in the marketplace to turn a net profit on their healthcare system — this doesn’t mean it should run at a loss, but I do think that as a state enterprise, it’s *primary* focus should be on delivery of services to the public...

At the end of the day, if you somehow regulate the market such that investors can’t earn a return that reasonably compensates them for taking the investment risk to run a health care facility, then I suspect you’ll see less investment in that sector - and that would mean the public sector would have to be equipped to handle the demand.

I think a key here is fair and full price disclosure... I would be a bigger fan if required up-front price disclosure was mandatory and implemented.. That way, one could make an informed consumer decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is the free market operating as it will always. The supplier will charge what the market is willing to pay. 
Why would people expect private hospitals to be any different. 
I went to a Thai private hospital with for an assessment for non-urgent surgery. I was treated like royalty. The hospital was like a 5 star resort. It cost me nearly $1000 for the tests and a quote for the operation of some $25000 USD. 
I said thank you very much but I flew back to Australia where I had the same procedure and a week in a private hospital just as nice for around $15000 which my insurance paid and cost me nothing.

If people are stupid enough or rich enough to pay Thai prices then good luck to them and the hospital. I don't see why people should complain. If the price is not right ...  go elsewhere, except perhaps the US which is even more stupid for medical services. 

Don't use Private Hospitals if you don't like their price or service.

They are just one option...not the only option.

Hospitals exist to make money for their investors and shareholders who have invested tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

Healthcare is a business, just like any other service related business.

Get over it.

Thailand has a 4 tier hospital system.  Government, charitable, private, and doctors.  I have used St Louis Hospital many times for ear infections and never had any problems with the charges.  A charitable hospital means it is overseen by some form of organisation.  In this case, the organising body is right next door - the representative of the Vatican.  The cost of each type varies, as pointed out by others, but in general, starting with the government being the cheapest, and busiest, the prices increase on the way to the those run by doctors, which are usually the best equipped.

'nuf sed.

Anyone using a private hospital is wasting their money. Go public. This is gouging and nothing less. Not only that, but having spent my career in healthcare, I can tell you that they perform ineffective and wasteful procedures to drive up the bills, which is totally unethical.

17 minutes ago, DLock said:

Don't use Private Hospitals if you don't like their price or service.

They are just one option...not the only option.

Hospitals exist to make money for their investors and shareholders who have invested tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

Healthcare is a business, just like any other service related business.

Get over it.

This message was approved by the American Medical Association

13 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Anyone using a private hospital is wasting their money. Go public. This is gouging and nothing less. Not only that, but having spent my career in healthcare, I can tell you that they perform ineffective and wasteful procedures to drive up the bills, which is totally unethical.

Simply true!

Yes, the private hospitals are in the business to make money, I understand that. What I would suggest (something that I believe is required but nobody does) is that all hospitals be required to post the total cost of all procedures in Thai and English on their websites and at the hospital's entrance as well. The government could also publish the hospital costs on a single website as well so people can go to one website and comparison shop.

In my home city Glasgow..Ross Hall is a very expensive private hospital.
The consultants who do tge op's there are all nhs surgeons.
Keyhole surgery re torn cartilidge..your on the table 6.00am or 6.00pm .. before or after the consultant goes to or comes back from his/her day job at a nhs hospital.
Prices are crazy..also any meds reqd.
Sadly it's same old same old globally re private hospitals.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Your argument would make sense if there were no alternatives. However there are public hospitals. Private hospitals are a business. I dont like it anymore then you do.

Well, go to public hospitals if you want to get treat like cattle. I let my insurance to pay Burmrungrad to get treated like, and ripped off like, a human being.

But at least I can control, ask for second opinions, and influence treatment decisions. Try to do that in a government hospital where you are competing for resources with hundreds of other patients.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"Hospitals accused of over-pricing will be asked to lower their charges."

I would think that in other, civilised countries, it would be worded 'TOLD TO', as opposed to 'asked to'. I am sure if the pricing structure is submitted with a certain goodwill gesture (money), no action will be taken against the culprits, and it will be business as usual. 

It’s a private business, they can charge what they like , right or wrong.

in other civilised countries , private hospitals also overcharge and no one can tell them otherwise .

australia is a perfect example where government values doctor visit at $$90 but doctor charges $250-$350.

if you do not want to pay the gap, then you find government hospital and a doctor that accepts $90, otherwise pay the price 

3 hours ago, Sealbash said:

These are private hospitals. In business to earn profit. They are not charitable or government run. They will charge what the market can bear. If they price themselves out of the market, they will not make profit due to reduced clientele. If Airbus or Burger King would sell their products at a price the market could not bear, they would soon be out of business. There are alternatives available to any of these products if the purchaser chooses a more economical route.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Chula Hospital rocks !!!

Archived