Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

Da Nang is beginning to bore me just thinking about it, i picture a place worse than Jomtien. A place guys seem to enjoy for a few days and are glad to escape, maybe I'm wrong?

and i have been 10 years ago, an unmemorable experience, not caused by drink. In fact i think this was the place where the only massage lady ever tried to steal my money

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm also curious to know your reasons on KL.

kl much more of a "real city"

people interact on a more sophisticated and accepting level. diverse interaction between cultures that seems to flow more smoothly at least in everyday interaction. normal genuine dating scene without the p4p vibe.

expats are more "alive" and doing interesting things, have "things" going on. are talking about business ventures and politics, interesting subjects, are still in the game vs the "drop out of life and just drinking and having sex now escapism vibe you get in thailand", and "hey bud, where u from?" type stuff.

malaysia a real option for me, just wish the financial requirements were not so high for retirement visa. 

like singapore but less expensive, more "liberal" and dirtier ????

I had options to work in thailand in phuket or bangkok. Da Nang and Saigon. KL.

Stayed a few months in thailand to get the feel, then KL then vietnam.

chose KL. Like the diversity and lots of things to do. Hate the traffic. 2nd choice would be vietnam. It really was a close call between those 2. Happy with my choice but can also change easy enough if need be.

If i was retired i would be in vietnam without doubt. 2nd choice would be maybe Penang.

Without overanalysing our holiday experiences.

KL was surprising to us because of our Pre-perceptions. We thought it would be expensive it was cheaper and the things we did where worth what we paid for, which is harder to do now days with the exchange rate. Clothing and food we can now buy in Australia for similar prices to Asia, previously exchange rate gave us very good value. We are not beer drinkers and thought it would be hard to fine alcohol that we would drink at good prices not just one drink but when out drinking. We drank more cocktails than compared to Pattaya where we drink Whisky. We spent a night in the Whiskey club in Changkat Bukit Bintang Total $70 value $200 if we where to do at home.

The attitude of the people we interacted with eg; Taxi, hotel staff, massage, food sellers understand its their job but we were welcomed, helped and engaged with which is harder to find in Thailand now.

Bali: We travelled to Thailand for 15 years before we went to Bali. We now fly to Thailand via Bali, in only a couple of years we have done all the Tourist things and visited most area's and found Sanur (other side of island and not known for it surf) is very relaxing and breaks up our trip. It can take over 32 hours of travelling from check-out of hotel to our front door, splitting trip in Bali suits us we arrive home relaxed (Drinks and Massages are cheaper in Bali).

We have not found anywhere yet that comes close to the experiences you can have in Pattaya but costs would curb our enjoyment budget to much if we were to continue the twice yearly 30 days trips of the past. This trip 10 days next trip 5 days and who knows we may have to save up for a year like other friends (from around the world) that we use to met up with in Pattaya every 6 months.

2 hours ago, Centra said:

KL was surprising to us because of our Pre-perceptions. We thought it would be expensive it was cheaper and the things we did where worth what we paid for, which is harder to do now days with the exchange rate. Clothing and food we can now buy in Australia for similar prices to Asia, previously exchange rate gave us very good value. We are not beer drinkers and thought it would be hard to fine alcohol that we would drink at good prices not just one drink but when out drinking. We drank more cocktails than compared to Pattaya where we drink Whisky. We spent a night in the Whiskey club in Changkat Bukit Bintang Total $70 value $200 if we where to do at home.

The attitude of the people we interacted with eg; Taxi, hotel staff, massage, food sellers understand its their job but we were welcomed, helped and engaged with which is harder to find in Thailand now.

Bali: We travelled to Thailand for 15 years before we went to Bali. We now fly to Thailand via Bali, in only a couple of years we have done all the Tourist things and visited most area's and found Sanur (other side of island and not known for it surf) is very relaxing and breaks up our trip. It can take over 32 hours of travelling from check-out of hotel to our front door, splitting trip in Bali suits us we arrive home relaxed (Drinks and Massages are cheaper in Bali).

We have not found anywhere yet that comes close to the experiences you can have in Pattaya but costs would curb our enjoyment budget to much if we were to continue the twice yearly 30 days trips of the past. This trip 10 days next trip 5 days and who knows we may have to save up for a year like other friends (from around the world) that we use to met up with in Pattaya every 6 months.

What Pattaya experiences? Gogobars or?

On 10/24/2019 at 8:48 AM, Leaver said:

Where in Vietnam?

its easy to say you like vietnam. try living there for 6 months. the locals are very irritating to say the least, and it wears on you.

vietnam will challenge you, even if your a seasoned traveller.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:13 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Da Nang is beginning to bore me just thinking about it, i picture a place worse than Jomtien. A place guys seem to enjoy for a few days and are glad to escape, maybe I'm wrong?

and i have been 10 years ago, an unmemorable experience, not caused by drink. In fact i think this was the place where the only massage lady ever tried to steal my money

You were there 10 years ago?

hmmmm?

On 10/23/2019 at 1:50 PM, Centra said:

Very good, well informed, thoughtful comment. Thank you.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:20 AM, Centra said:

Just back from a 4 week trip around Asia and the winner was? We went to Bali then Kuala Lumpur, Hoi an, Da Nang, Can Tho and then Pattaya, Hua Hin and the back to Bali. Most expensive Hua Hin and never see a reason to return. Most relaxing Bali and the  most surprising was KL will return. But the winner was Can Tho in the Mekong delta it was like Thailand was to us 20 year ago, hardly any western tourist so every thing had prices and cheap. Everyone wanted to practise there English with us and most helpful. Lots of water but no beach but you could easily drive to beach for a night away.

It was like Thailand 20 years ago.  What time did the Go Go bars close down? Didbthe girls dance naked? Did the free lance clubs stay open all night? How much was a soapie?

5 hours ago, fhickson said:

the locals are very irritating to say the least

None more than the Thai's, or any other nationality for that matter.  Do you say this as a racist comment?

5 hours ago, fhickson said:

vietnam will challenge you, even if your a seasoned traveller.

How so? 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:20 PM, Ron jeremy said:

You were there 10 years ago?

hmmmm?

Many have no idea just how fast Vietnam is progressing. 

Is Vietnam still behind Thailand in many things, probably? 

Is Vietnam catching up to Thailand at a rapid rate, absolutely?

Will Vietnam overtake Thailand in the future, for sure? 

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

And yet the people  risk their lives and lose them to get away from the place to come to the UK. Something must be wrong with the place!

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And yet the people  risk their lives and lose them to get away from the place to come to the UK. Something must be wrong with the place!

As another member suggests, and what a recent BBC story on the case explains, there are Vietnamese people who are poor, but many of them are not exactly living in poverty.

They just seek better payment for their labor, so they can increase the wealth of their family, and so they can return to Vietnam wealthy, by Vietnamese standards.

There are many Thai girls working in brothels, all around the world, for a lot more than some lady drinks and 1000 baht upstairs for 1 hour. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

People either get the Pattaya vibe in all its totality or they dont and they sit on the side lines making stupid comments or ignorant criticisms.

The problem is, Pattaya only really had one vibe, and will all know what that was, but Pattaya is now being promoted as having many different vibes to attract a variety of markets. 

The other vibes they are promoting are now attracting the majority of tourists here, so Pattaya's traditional vibe is dying, and many will be left with worthless businesses and property here in the future. 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, Leaver said:

I was on a trip with a young Viet tourist guy in Trang An/Hang Mua earlier this month.

He'd graduated university a couple of years back and worked as a physiotherapist in Saigon earning $400/month.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, Leaver said:

They just seek better payment for their labor, so they can increase the wealth of their family, and so they can return to Vietnam wealthy, by Vietnamese standards.

Hello, we had a news report in Australia saying that one young lady paid AUD $60,000 (1.23 Million Baht) to get out of Vietnam and be on that truck. The first thing that I and my Thai wife thought was that if a Thai had 1.23 Million baht then they would open a business in their own country. So why couldn't have these Vietnamese people done something similar? 

24 minutes ago, bmanly said:

Hello, we had a news report in Australia saying that one young lady paid AUD $60,000 (1.23 Million Baht) to get out of Vietnam and be on that truck. The first thing that I and my Thai wife thought was that if a Thai had 1.23 Million baht then they would open a business in their own country. So why couldn't have these Vietnamese people done something similar? 

Quite often the money is owed to the traffickers, and they work as slaves until it's paid off.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

If you want sex in Da Nang, it's easy to do.  The difference between Da Nang women and Thai/Pattaya women is that the women in Da Nang would be insulted and horrified if you tried to pay them.  It's easy to hook up in Vietnam because women want to explore sex with foreigners.  They will tell you they are not prostitutes and they would be right.  They wish to be paid in the usual way, a dinner, a date, is all that is required.

some dates i been on in vietnam the gal wouldn't let me pay;  wonderful

On 10/25/2019 at 4:33 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:
On 10/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, Centra said:

Just back from a 4 week trip around Asia and the winner was? We went to Bali then Kuala Lumpur, Hoi an, Da Nang, Can Tho and then Pattaya, Hua Hin and the back to Bali. Most expensive Hua Hin and never see a reason to return. Most relaxing Bali and the  most surprising was KL will return. But the winner was Can Tho in the Mekong delta it was like Thailand was to us 20 year ago, hardly any western tourist so every thing had prices and cheap. Everyone wanted to practise there English with us and most helpful. Lots of water but no beach but you could easily drive to beach for a night away.

It was like Thailand 20 years ago.  What time did the Go Go bars close down? Didbthe girls dance naked? Did the free lance clubs stay open all night? How much was a soapie?

as hard as it is to imagine, there are people(miniscule %) that do not equate thailand with gogo's, freelancers or naked girls

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Quite often the money is owed to the traffickers, and they work as slaves until it's paid off.

A lot off or at least some of the Vietnamese sex workers including children in Cambodia were working to pay of loans to the parents,Its possible that's happening in some of these tragic cases,the ones that make it end up working in the the dope growing industry till the loan is paid, slaves really.In Belgium they have just rescued 12 Vietnamese from a refrigerated truck.

On October 25, 2019 at 5:23 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Effectively zero girlie scene, no bar girls,  no go go bars, no soapies, no massage parlours, no freelance bars.  Spain or Portugal would be better, cheaper, better food, etc etc.

Those places with the multi coloured signs that are flashing and read massage? They are all over the city, .any moto guy will be happy to take you to such a place or lady. They are everywhere, just not on every street corner. Some people actually don't wish to wade thru hookers while on vacation. Yes hard to beleive for yourself. And no the hookers don't line up along the beach, keep that <deleted> in pattaya, as stated before sunny boy, viet ladies are quite easy to meet, for those that don't have game, ( such as yourself) stay in pattaya and pay to play.

quite simple. 

But why keep going on that you can't find hookers in Danang?

is this what your life is all about?

this is the negative image that Thailand is trying so hard to get rid of. Hence the clampdown on the quality tourists it attracts.

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:
18 hours ago, atyclb said:

some dates i been on in vietnam the gal wouldn't let me pay;  wonderful

some women are desperate

thank the lord for that ????

if not for desperate women i'd have to pay like everyone else

On 4/27/2019 at 7:10 AM, marcusarelus said:

If Vietnamese get sick they come to Thailand.  GDP per capita is about 3 times higher in Thailand.  https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand

Corruption increase 56% Vietnam vs Thailand 14% https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_in_asia_pacific_what_20000_people_told_us

In Thailand 9 die before 1 year.  Vietnam 17.  54 die childbirth out of 1000 in Thailand 20.  https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/compare/thailand/vietnam

Thailand: #1 in fake statistics. (Too many websites to post links here.)

On 10/31/2019 at 6:22 PM, bmanly said:

Hello.  Did you see the report on the BBC that one of the deceased's family mortgaged their land to raise the money for the journey?

Do you really think the $60,000AUD was savings in a bank?

If they had that sort of money in a bank, they could have got a legitimate visa and got a flight to the UK and then just overstayed.

Archived