Thai woman dies after bite from centipede

webfact

56 minutes ago, legend49 said:

60 road deaths a day is acceptable but this case takes headline news???

I am always very interested by centipedes stories, they are for me the most scary  animals in Thailand with venimous snakes

I have seen several, a few centimeters from me; and I found one dead in my kitchen: for me, it was killed by a cat who likes to sleep in my home and is very good hunter for mices;  do you think a cat can kill a centipede ? I have no other explanation for the dead centipede 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, smedly said:

these things grow to huge size 10" long and as thick as your thumb, seen a few UT videos of them crawling on peoples arms etc - not sure that they bite, I thought they had a sting at the rear, remove the stinger and they are harmless - could be wrong,

I am wrong - they bite

The front pair of legs are called forcibles and are modified to deliver venom. I've been injected by them twice and it hurts like hell.

I had one crawl between my legs as I was sitting in my house, huge, I chased it out of the house but then killed it because I was afraid it might hurt one of the neighbourhood children. the ants descended on it and devoured it quickly.

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

That's a f##king takarp! Got bitten by one several years ago when I tried to toss it away.....after a few bottles of beer.  Agony. Pain gets more intense so went to hospital and had a pain killer.Pain subsides slowly and lingers on for a few days.

They can kill infants and the elderly.

Hideous creatures.

It's not - as Captain Bob pointed out, it's a harmless millipede.

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Not to be confused with this (millipede, in Thai "meng saen dtene" or "bug with 100,000 feet) which curls up when threatened. 

adobestock_105894559_millipede_fmt.png

Never heard it called that before. The common Thai term for it is Ging Ger. Beautiful creatures.

When we were kids we use to put a centipede in a glass jar with a scorpion or a poisenous spider, and other nasty bugs, 99% of the time a centipede would win. talking Australia here. was great fun. Sorry for the lady, not good, maybe she was bitten by something more deadly, or sometimes i have heard if your unwell any of these nasties can kill, even just one bee sting can kill a person if they have a reaction to the bite.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

shoe size 10 flattens them well

Not a centipede....

The first one I saw was on the path next to my house.  I was terrified of them as a result of what happened to my brother, and immediately recogonised it as entirely different to the multitude of millipedes that I'd seen.

I'm ashamed to admit that I was so terrified that it may find a way into the house, that I got a spade and tried to cut in half to kill it ☹️.  It took many spade attacks before it finally died ☹️.

Since that horrifying experience (still on my conscience), I've seen quite a few more, generally in/or underneath pots and when digging up loose earth.

Not a problem as nowadays I wear thick leather gloves when gardening in 'suspicious' areas, so that as soon as I see a centipede I can move away and let it escape.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

They live of off rotting vegetation but the villagers hate them and kill them on sight, the missus tells me they also bite and what they inject causes serious health complications.

And that's where things go seriously wrong....  Presumably you're 'missus' also believes that all snakes are deadly.....

11 minutes ago, johng50 said:

When we were kids we use to put a centipede in a glass jar with a scorpion or a poisenous spider, and other nasty bugs, 99% of the time a centipede would win. talking Australia here. was great fun. Sorry for the lady, not good, maybe she was bitten by something more deadly, or sometimes i have heard if your unwell any of these nasties can kill, even just one bee sting can kill a person if they have a reaction to the bite.

Wow!  Talk about sick.

I sincerely hope I never come across you or your friends.

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

Vietnam !IMG_9104.PNG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep. Legend has it the biggest  ones are in Vietnam.

Thai brother in law  got bit twice by the same one seconds  apart. Was in extreme  pain for  3 days  and did say on day 2 he would not be unhappy if someone  cut his  arm off ! He was bitten on the hand.

I have becomee well accustomed to keeping an eye out  when moving  anything on the ground that is dry like leaves,bark or even dry grass. Have noticed that they  do not cope with water well and the  small ones will drown quite  quickly. Chickens also seem to have the "group attack " mode  down pat...they shred em!

I got bitten a couple of years ago, by a 9inch bugger sliced my heel open, and my whole leg up to my groin was inflamed, I could not sit stand walk with the pain in the end I had to go to hospital where I had 3 injections, the pain lasted some further 6 hours, I was asked how much pain from 1--10 , 10 being highest all I could say was sip Yai sip Yai,

doctor told me on a scale of bites these are worse than snake bite, 

all  I  thought about was I don't want to know any secrets if a war happens as I would spill them to the enemy 

had my leg crushed and the pain from this bite was way worse, memory of it , ahhh 

R.I.P.

4 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Scolopendra centipede. One of the most toxic creepy crawlies in this neck of the woods. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I had one of these come up through my toilet on third floor. Tried flushing it many times, filling loo with paper and the bastard would not go away. Eventually got it down shower hole after nearly a week battle.

Needless to say I always look, left, right and left again before I moon the porcelain.

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

I am always very interested by centipedes stories, they are for me the most scary  animals in Thailand with venimous snakes

I have seen several, a few centimeters from me; and I found one dead in my kitchen: for me, it was killed by a cat who likes to sleep in my home and is very good hunter for mices;  do you think a cat can kill a centipede ? I have no other explanation for the dead centipede 

Yes, I believe, the chickens in our garden catch and eat them too.

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

That's a f##king takarp! Got bitten by one several years ago when I tried to toss it away.....after a few bottles of beer.  Agony. Pain gets more intense so went to hospital and had a pain killer.Pain subsides slowly and lingers on for a few days.

They can kill infants and the elderly.

Hideous creatures.

No, it was a millipede. They're harmless. Millipede have a lot more legs and more body sections and are generally smaller in size than a centipede. 

16 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Crazy.. They should ban that video because they removed the stinger already. Fake videos like that will get some kid bitten who tries to do this when encountering one. 

Yes u have right - Some take care as the Thai says and this seem to be one of them ...

55 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

I had one bite me in the sack while sleeping in New Mexico. Try to get back to sleep after that. 

If they could bite you anywhere, being bitten in the sack must be the most painful. I'll get my coat.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was drinking at a bar the other day and as I looked down at my legs, one of them was between them on the ground, I asked the lady owner of the bar who was standing next to me if they were dangerous because I know my Mrs cuts them in two as soon as she sees them and has said they are dangerous.

The owner of this bar bent down, said no, not dangerous, picked it up and threw it into the grass on the footpath, suffice to say anything with so many legs coming within koo-ee of me will get all 80kg of me on top of it, dangerous or not.

It was maybe a millipede?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He son said she was in great pain and there was swelling in the area of the bite. But she had an evening meal and went to bed. 

Don't expect a compassionate Thai hospital to give patients anything stronger than Para.

If you are in pain, it's your Karma.  It's not the hospitals responsibly to relieve your pain.

Had one come up through the shower drain while I was washing my hair.

Shot out the shower. Grabbed a meat cleaver from the kitchen and set in about it like a naked samurai.

Did take two chunks out of the floor tiles while I was doing it.

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Don't expect a compassionate Thai hospital to give patients anything stronger than Para.

If you are in pain, it's your Karma.  It's not the hospitals responsibly to relieve your pain.

You must have really bad Karma because at a government hospital I had no problem getting morphine for pain.  It was a problem outside of the hospital but no problem when inside.  I was at Sattahip and Rayong

Archived