Thai woman dies after bite from centipede

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Come to think of it, it wasn't anywhere as big as someone posted a photo of one above, so there is a clear difference then.

Here's a couple pix of a millipede I snapped in BKK last year. At least 6 inches long (16 cm). SLOW and basically harmless. Centipedes are a whole other story. FAST and furious. Nasty bite. 

7e5n07P4typ47WhMctGuSJIkxgOgFs6aJaZzzzETl4K7auf8s-X7WmzxPMX6Y9LYXSMsatltQLfTHvSZeQ8cV0Fhv2-lUk8lUb9e1jmnDayD2axGd3bKAaXc0E5Id5ALRJAkYKTlkusIooQV9DvcopCpgHUa85UUd6ftlOZY0HmmxVWGXTcUX7TT-Ce-2FHTxezr-USk5x9Iib2rxvt3a7OjYBJ2STOe6bCW6_S0Mr2qEi68vfejOQF_8OHL46zzB2xyfMXhnBOSLhdzelxuX-Fp5fs4BS6ryKHQpSQFzjlssz0V9f7Dw6nO1WWNyHR4em0vUXJbcA-LEZwLoG5m-CKfNiQj27VchmvnpZmlukxucoY6ABo1nMsKeZjANheQyDBrw-oLPrnB2jm1oNbgbpKS46oia_Fn0uO1m5BFz77rMZ2lrHJYubwozf_vTBByKSP-JaHxiCxix1QYzm40wrSzDOh0i7Awt2--8OQtHEpYvgAKik1SZ5uyzstH5S55LPdWTZleN_Wk4kX1dsN0YKmRoaAqO-pW3X5LQ2M7v_rXGcHaPQOFUmTAP2UO63sjNzso4vhBSoKIev0Vt9CmvtF0UblyB5jU0NHYhRzJFvSY1I7uex-SyFlMhdp6NItrpwBBqrQHfJp4Vf_R7KG0Bw3cTyQBa8Y=w1170-h903-no

64MhfsC5CONeUN3tnhdQ2I28PFVh5h4dLIUva7UTWGd_KmxXqoPteyM48pjJbZXyDzbzkowfWP2ZHqtlnJggi79qLzGwsZa3kW69_-0BuEg0JZSueELCm_9Ff7HXcq6COoSvWY8CZqWDSae66Z5vWgcFkU1HRvfUiXdz2NN_ZWQqEgCGHkykra7nBN5LtETZIK21WPV9VZdu2cbQymRxcR7qAZs0kAlnNupuA5xjJIXsk3yVmWuhLUJtv2k_dH8NnlpaOLMA5zp2aOY3T7rE7qf89trt4KqafQTC9q-pK-bJx7qqXaTe65xcOm2hv7-Ye9GcfqaFO4MF3Hx0dsXXbS3PTE_avTSoUsZVhcNk5MVgQXQa8yULqRNRJ5Pf5lyBfLvH9OwPRErGWgF_Zov5qiAsPS24VRyMwBcwDh-23qDtFwPPqAIf7RNaV1q0i865oLQtvQ3SL39vn97nwyiQFnp-rq-C1Cckdkiuy5Y5fj-ep95I_7Tepkgcoe14vXVuw4G2Hf6HBDnZLoo-IzXZoMmaLc9VxL4lAtwmtp6WY23C0KqTbA0Q32UWrVHzDecuW4ZWk-KUVHwgYviKn3C3dQ-u0eEiNRltz9OsTuo2acm3f7Yfc5cFLjuIqwPlylPIf22e-UoPo9h7beZ4Bc5yiDhJRPhPd0w=w780-h903-no

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Chinese. If you search Google you will find images of centipedes found in China during excavations that are a meter or more in length.

Not true. Possibly some prehistoric centipedes were a meter, but not today. The centipede in captivity in the vid is 16 inches (41 cm) long. Longest centipede recorded in the wild is the same species at 10 inches (26 cm) and the longest insect in the world is a "Walking Stick" at just over 2 feet long (62.4 cm)...only discovered 3 years ago. The vid below is the same, but with some narration and facts.

The current Guinness World Record for the largest centipede is 10 inches. It was a Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede (Scolopendra gigantea) found in Venezuela.Jan 29, 2018

A new species of stick insect in southern China has been declared the world's longest bug, state media announced on Thursday. Until now, that honor had belonged to Malaysian stick insect named Phoebaeticus chani, or Chan's megastick. At 62.4 centimeters, the newcomer extends the record by about 6 centimeters.May 6, 2016

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Is this a rehash of older story? Even though it gives a recent date I seem to remember the same story a few months ago.

Different lady. The other one was a street food vendor in August last year. Ignored warnings about the dangerous arthropod at her feet and died after getting bit. 

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that.

With your permission, I am going to post this in the current 'Pattaya or DaNang and the winner is' thread.

Scolopendra subspinipes is a species of very large centipede found throughout eastern Asia. The species is known by a great many common names including Chinese red-head, giant centipede, jungle centipede, orange-legged centipede, red-headed centipede and Vietnamese centipede.

It is among the largest centipedes with a maximum length of 20 cm (approx 8 in).[3] This centipede is an active, aggressive predator that preys on any animal it can overpower.[4]

I almost died after receiving several centipede bites on back from lying in a hammock, thinking I had been attacked by aggressive ants until a local confirmed what had been responsible. I was light-headed and my staff could see several lumps, angry swellings on my back, from the injected poison and one of them was right behind my heart - the toxin attacks that organ. I had to be pumped full of steroids and adrenalin to bring my blood pressure from my boots - I was almost gone. 

Steer clear. 

13 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

did you have a heart attack so you can compare ?

Is that important to you?

When she asks about the weather, I tell my mum it's as 'hot as hell' here. I haven't been to hell and she knows that but she doesn't think for a minute that I may be being economical with the truth.

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Scolopendra subspinipes is a species of very large centipede found throughout eastern Asia. The species is known by a great many common names including Chinese red-head, giant centipede, jungle centipede, orange-legged centipede, red-headed centipede and Vietnamese centipede.

It is among the largest centipedes with a maximum length of 20 cm (approx 8 in).[3] This centipede is an active, aggressive predator that preys on any animal it can overpower.[4]

Ah,... I can see you're possibly a skeptic?

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is that important to you?

When she asks about the weather, I tell my mum it's as 'hot as hell' here. I haven't been to hell and she knows that but she doesn't think for a minute that I may be being economical with the truth.

It is important. Heart attacks are real and real painful and dangerous and often fatal...hell is not real. It's just a figure of speech and everybody knows that. Only someone who's had a heart attack AND been bitten by a centipede can make such a comparison. I would assume that the poster has experienced both. Otherwise, it's inappropriate IMO. 

Regarding the lady who died last summer, some time after being bitten. Didn't she belatedly seek medical attention and get the usual paracetamol and antibiotics grab bag but later, died at home? I recall mention of anaphylactic shock. Once that kicks in, it can be a very fast physical deterioration. The blood pressure drops suddenly and airways narrow, blocking breathing. I read that an epinephrine shot is essential to check this collapse. I wonder if epi-pens can be had on lazada?

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah,... I can see you're possibly a skeptic?

That pic is either highly distorted in a way that makes the arthropod appear larger than it actually is...or it has been photo-shopped. I found that pic on Google Images, so leaning toward it being a fake. 

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Regarding the lady who died last summer, some time after being bitten. Didn't she belatedly seek medical attention and get the usual paracetamol and antibiotics grab bag but later, died at home? I recall mention of anaphylactic shock. Once that kicks in, it can be a very fast physical deterioration. The blood pressure drops suddenly and airways narrow, blocking breathing. I read that an epinephrine shot is essential to check this collapse. I wonder if epi-pens can be had on lazada?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352614

7 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for that. And there was me thinking I had early onset Alzheimers.

By the statement, "Thanet said a doctor had told the family his mother died from a severe blood infection caused by the centipede’s bite", I think it's safe to assume that at least one Chantaburi doctor hasn't heard of anaphylactic shock. I wonder if the regular 'Rescue' guys have them in their trauma kits?

A few years ago we were staying at my wife's parents home (east of Korat). I went to the bathroom to wash my hands before dinner and suddenly a giant centipede rose up out of the toilet and was wildly running around and around the bowl. This was a real GIANT, as thick as my thumb I'd say at least 15" long and red. It was like something out of a science-fiction horror movie. I've never run so fast in my life! 

I presumed the family had seen something like this before, but they were all as equally shocked, horrified and scared as I was.

So I could only go back in the bathroom and deal with it before it reached escape velocity and got out of the toilet. I squirted nearly a whole bottle e of 'Toilet Duck' on it, which made it even more angry before it eventually stopped moving. It took a few buckets of water to flush it away.

I never sat on that toilet again without flushing it a few times first and then squirting toilet Duck in it and checking, and double checking.

It would have no problem killing me. I'd have a heart attack even before it bit my bum! 

Unusual to die, I am sure she must have had something else amiss, allergy or something as they are not much worse than a nasty hornet sting, and the toxicity seems to vary with size and colour. We get them here that are almost bright blue towards their rears, they are not too big either (We used to get almost black ones that were between 8-10 inches) but the blue ones rarely get bigger than about 4 inches, yet the locals swear that the small ones will do a lot more damage.

9 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Scolopendra centipede. One of the most toxic creepy crawlies in this neck of the woods. 

maxresdefault.jpg

What a beautiful animal, perfectly adapted for its niche in the ecosystem. Then along came man.... (oops, and woman...)

1 hour ago, samsingsong said:

... suddenly a giant centipede rose up out of the toilet and was wildly running around and around the bowl. ...

40 years ago in Loei, there was a monk "Pra Tom" (New Zealander).  Told me he was using the squatter one night and one got in his robes.  Bit him in the arse. 

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You might be mistaken.  I think the videos of You tube are of giant millipedes.  These are harmless and eat vegetation.  They are a common exotic pet in Europe.  You get these things here too, mostly they are black, or striped black and orange.  They are move slowly and their legs are quite small and short, and are on the underside of the body.

The thing in the OP is a centipede.  There are meat eaters, fast and aggressive... the tiger of the bug world lol.  They have longer, thicker legs that stick out from the sides of their body.

They have no sting at the end (that is scorpions).  But, they bite with fangs at the front end.  The large ones like in the OP are very painful if they bite you, and you require antibiotics if they bite you, because the wound often is gets infected.  They are not really know to be fatal though, and I suspect the lady died of complications from other health problems that were made worse by the centipede bite.

Yes, the Giant Red Centipede if I recall correctly. I was bitten on the ear lobe after one crawled inside my motorbike helmet! The pain was so intense I was shouting also because I didn't know what'd happened. Blood came out which the doctor said helped dilute the venom. The intense pain, worse than a kidney stone, lasted about 2 hours. And yes, the doc did provide me with some antibiotics and pain killers. From that point on, I always checked the inside of my helmet and kept it indoors at night!

Archived