Thai woman dies after bite from centipede

webfact

Thai woman dies after bite from centipede

5pm.jpg

Poisoned fangs

A 54 year old Thai woman in Nakorn Pathom has died after she was bitten by a centipede. 

It is called "takhap" in Thai. 

Chutikarn Worachote was bitten in the right foot on Saturday and was taken to hospital.

There she was given an injection and medication and sent home to her rented accommodation in Samphran district to recover. 

He son said she was in great pain and there was swelling in the area of the bite. But she had an evening meal and went to bed. 

On Sunday morning he went to rouse her but she was dead. He called the local police.

He wants to know if she died from complications of the centipede bite or some other reason. 

An autopsy is being undertaken at Sirirat Hospital. 

Thaivisa notes that bites from centipedes are not usually fatal in humans. However, the bigger ones can cause extreme pain that can last for several days. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-29

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was drinking at a bar the other day and as I looked down at my legs, one of them was between them on the ground, I asked the lady owner of the bar who was standing next to me if they were dangerous because I know my Mrs cuts them in two as soon as she sees them and has said they are dangerous.

The owner of this bar bent down, said no, not dangerous, picked it up and threw it into the grass on the footpath, suffice to say anything with so many legs coming within koo-ee of me will get all 80kg of me on top of it, dangerous or not.

6 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I got stung on the second toe by one, pain was intense, worse than a heart attack

Don't want to get stung by one, but have you ever had a heart attack, I can tell you the crushing pain in the chest and loss of air, i.e. cannot breath is not something you want to experience if you haven't had a heart attack, suffice to say, I would go with the bit as the chances are better on survival.

these things grow to huge size 10" long and as thick as your thumb, seen a few UT videos of them crawling on peoples arms etc - not sure that they bite, I thought they had a sting at the rear, remove the stinger and they are harmless - could be wrong,

I am wrong - they bite

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was drinking at a bar the other day and as I looked down at my legs, one of them was between them on the ground, I asked the lady owner of the bar who was standing next to me if they were dangerous because I know my Mrs cuts them in two as soon as she sees them and has said they are dangerous.

The owner of this bar bent down, said no, not dangerous, picked it up and threw it into the grass on the footpath, suffice to say anything with so many legs coming within koo-ee of me will get all 80kg of me on top of it, dangerous or not.

Almost certainly that would have been a millipede. Firstly centipedes move too fast so she wouldn't be able to just bend down and pick it up. Secondly if she did pick up a centipede it would bite.

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Almost certainly that would have been a millipede. Firstly centipedes move too fast so she wouldn't be able to just bend down and pick it up. Secondly if she did pick up a centipede it would bite.

Come to think of it, it wasn't anywhere as big as someone posted a photo of one above, so there is a clear difference then.

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

these things grow to huge size 10" long and as thick as your thumb, seen a few UT videos of them crawling on peoples arms etc - not sure that they bite, I thought they had a sting at the rear, remove the stinger and they are harmless - could be wrong,

I am wrong - they bite

You might be mistaken.  I think the videos of You tube are of giant millipedes.  These are harmless and eat vegetation.  They are a common exotic pet in Europe.  You get these things here too, mostly they are black, or striped black and orange.  They are move slowly and their legs are quite small and short, and are on the underside of the body.

The thing in the OP is a centipede.  There are meat eaters, fast and aggressive... the tiger of the bug world lol.  They have longer, thicker legs that stick out from the sides of their body.

They have no sting at the end (that is scorpions).  But, they bite with fangs at the front end.  The large ones like in the OP are very painful if they bite you, and you require antibiotics if they bite you, because the wound often is gets infected.  They are not really know to be fatal though, and I suspect the lady died of complications from other health problems that were made worse by the centipede bite.

7 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Not to be confused with this (millipede, in Thai "meng saen dtene" or "bug with 100,000 feet) which curls up when threatened. 

adobestock_105894559_millipede_fmt.png

That's a <deleted> takarp! Got bitten by one several years ago when I tried to toss it away.....after a few bottles of beer.  Agony. Pain gets more intense so went to hospital and had a pain killer.Pain subsides slowly and lingers on for a few days.

They can kill infants and the elderly.

Hideous creatures.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You might be mistaken.  I think the videos of You tube are of giant millipedes.  These are harmless and eat vegetation.  They are a common exotic pet in Europe.  You get these things here too, mostly they are black, or striped black and orange.  They are move slowly and their legs are quite small and short, and are on the underside of the body.

The thing in the OP is a centipede.  There are meat eaters, fast and aggressive... the tiger of the bug world lol.  They have longer, thicker legs that stick out from the sides of their body.

They have no sting at the end (that is scorpions).  But, they bite with fangs at the front end.  The large ones like in the OP are very painful if they bite you, and you require antibiotics if they bite you, because the wound often is gets infected.  They are not really know to be fatal though, and I suspect the lady died of complications from other health problems that were made worse by the centipede bite.

there is a theory that they also have venom of some sort in legs etc.

either way an individual can be allergic to such a bite, its not as if bites are made with hygiene in mind is it.

2 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Not to be confused with this (millipede, in Thai "meng saen dtene" or "bug with 100,000 feet) which curls up when threatened. 

adobestock_105894559_millipede_fmt.png

They live of off rotting vegetation but the villagers hate them and kill them on sight, the missus tells me they also bite and what they inject causes serious health complications.

6 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

That's a <deleted> takarp! Got bitten by one several years ago when I tried to toss it away.....after a few bottles of beer.  Agony. Pain gets more intense so went to hospital and had a pain killer.Pain subsides slowly and lingers on for a few days.

They can kill infants and the elderly.

Hideous creatures.

That´s a Millipede, a harmless detritus eater!????

Here is one on my arm!????

Plahgat

Millipedeb.jpg

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

Sure, they are very quick, and taking them with the hand is very dangerous 

Archived