Now MRT is broken as BTS.

Number 6

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Public transportation is not seen as a solution to quality of life. It's just a middle class people mover. The rich prefer their cars and to sit in traffic for hours and to get into accidents and ...

BTS is ridiculously expensive, especially for the quality of the ride and dealing with all the tourists. Queueing for cards is another exasperating experience.

BTS is competitively priced.  I think for the extensions, there may be price controls because of the government infrastructure support.  Everyone is free to go by bus, or cycle, if they prefer. If I’m on my own, it’s cheaper and quicker than a taxi

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Hour long waits at the most central and important station, gated closures, air-conditioning not functioning with the capacity, queues overwhelmed, turnstiles backed up.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Dunno... Based on your description above, it sounds pretty much like everything is operating normally here....

You gotta remember where you are...  :crazy:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's a mass transit line in a massive city that passes right through the centre of town.  Why do you expect to be able to sit down?  Seriously?   

I use it every day and I don't expect to find a seat, of course I don't. 

Remember also that on the MRT Blue line, some time back, they actually entirely removed the seating from some portions of their train cars to make room for additional standing passengers...as a tool aimed at easing overcrowding and passenger waits at the stations.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Remember also that on the MRT Blue line, some time back, they actually entirely removed the seating from some portions of their train cars to make room for additional standing passengers...as a tool aimed at easing overcrowding and passenger waits at the stations.

Yes, they did.  And it has made a big difference.  It's not a Thai invention.   Same thing they did in Shanghai, in Singapore, and many other places.  It may feel like a cattle truck but I'd rather have the extra capacity.  Seats are there for those who need them, but most people can stand for 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

When are non peak hours?

I've used the system at various hours but I never expect to find a seat.        Secret?

I dont know where you live but Im at Asoke and the furthest I would travel maybe once a month is MBK. I can stand.  many farang live near the last BTS stops but want to go happy hour lower sukhumvit. You cant have cheap rent and then cry about peak hour

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Sorry, asolute bullshit. Sukhumvhit is a nightmare.

Pre charged - what do you think I stand in line?

OP GuN Foot Shoot!!!   sorry but your digging a hole clutching to your one hour BS. Lost total credibility but fun to watch you struggling :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its sad to see that the fabulous transit system that got me around efficiently has totally deteriorated in the less that 30 days I have been gone

Maybe you need to come back

I like the MRT, but it is just uncivilized from about Sutisan to Asoke, and probably on the other side of Asoke, too.  It is nice that MRT gives over 60 yo farang the half price, too, unlike BTS. Any place with mobs of Chinese is going to be overloaded and safety compromised.  And notice on the ferry boats, how many refuse to sit on the sunny side, even with the boat tilting, and the fatal turnover a few years ago.  Many cant swim. The busses are frequent and not nearly as crowded as mrtbts, but you still want to avoid gridlock, and sometimes it is best to just get off the bus and walk, and that applies to taxis, as well.  There was and maybe still is a column in the Washington Post called Dr. Gridlock that was all about commuter hell.  For most of us, it is at our own convenience, but twice a day in rush hour and people are living and dying in it.  We moved to DC in 1963, and I never saw a lady on transit there as downright beautiful as the one who sat next to me on the purple line, yesterday.  A real stunner. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

And that could easily be paid for with money magicked from nowhere. BTS is a commercial organisation that provides a service in a market, and their investment depends on the returns it will generate. 

If you don't speculate you won't accumulate.

Think back to when the Sukhumvit live was being built.

There was a lot of expenditure but NO income, so where did the money for that come from?

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The main problem with the BTS is that there is simply far too long between trains. If they halved the wait between trains the trains would be much less crowded and the whole experience would be much nicer. I imagine that the same would apply to the MRT.

Then they would have to recruit more drivers and need more rolling stock.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had posted it

15 hours ago, timendres said:

Last Friday, 6pm. MRT Phra Ram 9 to Sukhumvit. BTS Asok to On Nut. Caught second train at each station. Phra Ram 9 was busy, but the queue zero wait time. Asok queues coming out took less than 2 minutes. The Asok BTS station was very crowded, but I walked straight through, slowly, queue going in less than 30 seconds. BTS On Nut queue coming out 20 seconds. Both the MRT and BTS trains were packed, but not uncomfortable. No complaints.

I agree. Peak hour, big city, high-speed public transport, what do you expect? BKK has its act together in this department. With class. You can still breathe in a crowded train, with room to spare if you know how to navigate. Traffic on platforms move about efficiently. To those who complain, just watch youtube clips showing Tokyo riders got shoved into trains like ragged dolls. (Then let them ride a NY subway.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

If you don't speculate you won't accumulate.

Think back to when the Sukhumvit live was being built.

There was a lot of expenditure but NO income, so where did the money for that come from?

Debt that they could not afford.  It took a long time to cover operating costs, and now they are making some return on investment, but I think a lot of people lost a lot of money.  The financial model for MRT was different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, smo said:

I agree. Peak hour, big city, high-speed public transport, what do you expect? BKK has its act together in this department. With class. You can still breathe in a crowded train, with room to spare if you know how to navigate. Traffic on platforms move about efficiently. To those who complain, just watch youtube clips showing Tokyo riders got shoved into trains like ragged dolls. (Then let them ride a NY subway.)

I’m not so sure about Tokyo, but in HOng Kong the platform attendants are not trying to get more people on the train, they’re pushing protruding passengers to get the doors closed and let the train depart so the next one can come in.  In KL on the monorail, the platform attendants are there at peak hours to prevent people trying to board the train, so that it can depart.

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They changed the  train manufacturer from Siemens to some chinese crap, at least for the skytrains.

That's why that shit is always broken.

But the BTS is not always broken, what are you talking about?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, watcharacters said:

When are non peak hours?

I've used the system at various hours but I never expect to find a seat.        Secret?

You should be happy if there's any space in the trains at all, many times we have to wait for the next train in the very hot queue's.

49 minutes ago, smo said:

Yes Tokyo in peak hours is worse but that's the limit of how busy it can be....You shouldn't compare with the worst city on the world for busy trains.

There's still so much more room to improve the bts/mrt systems...just look at Asok where there are long queue's because they only use 2 machines instead of all 4.....

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Hour long waits at the most central and important station, gated closures, air-conditioning not functioning with the capacity, queues overwhelmed, turnstiles backed up.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

You've had a problem with the MRT, one miniscule part of the country's infrastructure, so you ask what is wrong with the whole country?  Huh?

Your only (exaggerated) point really is queues (there's been no reports elsewhere of the aircon not working properly) yet you are one of those contributing to that issue, see the irony?  

Edited by Just Weird

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well do you like to stand in a very full wagon for a long time? I don't.

54 minutes ago, smo said:

But some of us remember the original BTS, prior to the Chinese invasion. 

17 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The transport administrative infrastructure is collapsing under it's own weight. Brains are in short supply.

If you think this situation is bad wait until when and if the extended BTS lines become operational.

What?

2 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Yes Tokyo in peak hours is worse but that's the limit of how busy it can be....You shouldn't compare with the worst city on the world for busy trains.

There's still so much more room to improve the bts/mrt systems...just look at Asok where there are long queue's because they only use 2 machines instead of all 4.....

I think Tokyo is the best for busy trains; nowhere else can match it.  However, the advantage that the BTS has over a lot of urban metros is its off-peak ridership demand, keeping the trains busy between the rush hours and into the evening