Just Returned from UK, - Three Observations for Travellers

Pilotman

1 hour ago, roger buttmore said:

Just curious:

2. Is there a reason you didn't buy a return ticket from BKK to LHR, or was it your first time getting into sync. re: tickets?

3. I've never used fast-track, does it also fast-track your baggage?  Otherwise I can't see the point. I breezed through immigration last week returning on my return ticket from LGW via Dubai on Emirates, but my baggage full of home goodies took about 20 mins to appear.

No fasttracking for economy luggage. Business class usually appears first. Never waited more than 5 mins.

Its one thing getting a fast track through Immigration - its a completely different thing expecting your luggage to be waiting for you. Etihad give me their 'Priority' luggage service......... last time, fast track immigration, one bag amongst the first through, second bag amongst the last through. Waste of time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roger buttmore said:

Ah, understood. I must have misinterpreted. Identical circumstances to myself then re: the check-in query, which was also very polite and understood instantly.

Yes, there were a lot of bodies disembarking my flight from Dubai, in fact it was full on the Easter Monday when I returned. I'd forgotten that day was a UK bank holiday at time of booking. <note to self for the future to check such things.

I get my annual exercise after disembarking .. power-walk the whole foot journey from the arrival gate to immigration ????

While on the subject of passing immigration; perhaps 40% of the time I get individually picked and removed from the queue (if it's long and/or slow) by an IO and taken via a doorway to another almost empty set of VIP immigration desks and am on my way in no time. I think my Fred Perry style shirts, clean trousers and shoes, and short and tidy grey beard help. Let the old man through! (I'm late 50's) ????

your last para, I am impressed.  I do myself make a bit of an effort in dressing causally but smartly, if only as a polite gesture to those I sit next to on the aircraft, but i never get picked out by IOs. Now I use the VIP, so it doesn't matter so much, the picking out, not the dress. I too walk the long walk off the aircraft.  I am very conscious of the possibility of DVT, so try to combat it if i can. Having said all that, doing that trip to the UK is a real bind and I just loath it.  Unfortunate timings, due to marriages, birthdays and graduations, I am travelling back to the UK 3 times this year.  Next year I am staying put here.    

• Like 2

I have just done fasttrack route departing Bkk. Contrary to previous trips, fasttrack voucher was collected at the entrance to fasttrack area and not like in the past by IO. Voucher didn't have flight no. stamped on which it did in the past or on arrival. 

The nice touch by the IO was that he called a colleague who transfered visa details from old to my new p.port.

2 hours ago, Alidiver said:

Taxi and Fasttrack?
Heathrow Express is faster and cheaper.
and
Returned from Hong Kong on the 8th April, 15 minutes queue and had to wait another 20 minutes to pick up baggage.

My car was at T2 exit waiting for me and dropped me outside my house. Heathrow Express ends up in the wrong station for almost everyone and its hardly cheap. From Immigration desk at BKK to my car in the short term car park was at the most 20 minutes, including collecting my bags. 

9 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I came back on Apr 30 at 6pm. No queues anywhere. I was also finished with immigration in less than 3 minutes. My IO was not smiling, nor talking - but then, I did not pay 1500 baht...

In both countries, the UAE and Germany, the IOs were smiling and made an effort to be personable, In Thailand not so. Maybe only the Fast Track guy is trained to showcase the Land of Smiles?

Came back on 20th around 6pm. very small queue at imm. Sailed through but had to wait 20min for my bag to come round on the carousel. Never seen the point of fast track as I've never yet come through immigration and found my bag waiting which is the time limiter for getting on my way. 

Always return to Manchester. Same there, fly through immigration then wait an eon for my bag. If only they could fast track bags off the plane!

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:29 PM, Spidey said:

Came back on 20th around 6pm. very small queue at imm. Sailed through but had to wait 20min for my bag to come round on the carousel. Never seen the point of fast track as I've never yet come through immigration and found my bag waiting which is the time limiter for getting on my way. 

Always return to Manchester. Same there, fly through immigration then wait an eon for my bag. If only they could fast track bags off the plane!

Fly business and your bags will come through first

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Fly business and your bags will come through first

IME, no matter how long it has taken for me to transit immigration, no bags from my flight have appeared on the carousel before me reaching that point. On my latest flight, it was a good 15 minutes before any bags appeared on the carousel.

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

IME, no matter how long it has taken for me to transit immigration, no bags from my flight have appeared on the carousel before me reaching that point. On my latest flight, it was a good 15 minutes before any bags appeared on the carousel.

When I said they’d come first I meant before economy class bags

On 5/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, Letseng said:

1500 Baht is a rip off by an agent. Someone sells the cards. While BFS did it it was approx. 800 Baht as they had airside ops permit. Fly business and you get it for free.

I used to use the much cheaper BFS as they had a better online booking and payment experience. However, their website clearly states that they can no longer offer this to Coach pax. Maybe BAL have the right connection to still be able to offer an option that either Immigration or AoT have recently said isn't available, ie. only pax ticketed in Business Class and higher + the old and infirm and whatever else is listed at the 'Priority Lanes' entrances can have any access to expedited services.

Back on topic: good to see the highwaymen cab charges are off by 50% compared with the last time I needed a fast track to Heathrow.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:32 AM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Certainly convenient, but it grates against my democratic sensibilities; rather than offering an efficient immigration service, which should be the norm given the taxes already paid to use the airport, the greedy b*ggers find a new way to charge a fee which many, with family and children for example, cannot easily afford. 

I used the fast track at Manchester a couple of weeks ago cost a fiver it was brilliant,have used it at Bangkok four times works a treat didn't use it the last two times just walked to the farthest immigration and there were no lines.Have booked the fast track security at Manchester for when I return to Amsterdam also a fiver hope it works as well.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:29 PM, Spidey said:

I went through fast track at Manchester walked to the luggage belts needed the toilet walked back to the carousel and my bag was on its second trip around.It was an easy jet flight from Amsterdam so maybe not so much checked bags.At Bangkok the first bags arrive fast but they all have a priority label on them, first class and business I suppose plus crew luggage,pay for priority security at departure and fast track immigration on arrival and priority for luggage might as well just pay for a business ticket.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, Pilotman said:

Up to you mate, it's a personal choice. I choose to  use money to make my life simpler and less stressful.  It's hardly a Kings ransom. 

How is waiting in a queue stressful. Makes me wonder how people would react with real problems in life

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Chivas said:

How is waiting in a queue stressful. Makes me wonder how people would react with real problems in life

you must be a very patient chap, long queues and standing around drive me nuts. 1,500 Bhat is a small price to pay for avoiding them.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 4:24 AM, Pilotman said:

you must be a very patient chap, long queues and standing around drive me nuts. 1,500 Bhat is a small price to pay for avoiding them.  

No chap if I was in the immigration queue (which everyone moans about despite never more than 20 minutes tops) than already I would have been on the go from leaving home at 26 hours so an extra 20 minutes tops is of zero importance.

Despite the queues appearing long on occasions those snakes move very quickly as always

6 minutes ago, Chivas said:

No chap if I was in the immigration queue (which everyone moans about despite never more than 20 minutes tops) than already I would have been on the go from leaving home at 26 hours so an extra 20 minutes tops is of zero importance.

I'm a very impatient individual and if I can find a way to avoid such delays, and can afford to avoid the queues, then I'm there.  At the moment I can afford to be out of most airports and on our way promptly and with the minimum amount of fuss.  Business class covers our needs at present particularly as our baggage is out first.  

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

I'm a very impatient individual and if I can find a way to avoid such delays, and can afford to avoid the queues, then I'm there.  At the moment I can afford to be out of most airports and on our way promptly and with the minimum amount of fuss.  Business class covers our needs at present particularly as our baggage is out first.  

But still long after the peasants have cleared immigration.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:24 AM, Pilotman said:

Must kill you standing round in the queue, waiting for your baggage at the carousel. Fast track immigration = longer wait at the carousel. Better splitting your waiting time between immigration and the carousel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Invariably not.  Long gone before cattle class have cleared immigration.

As I said, I've never cleared immigration and found bags for my flight on the carousel. Business or not.

Definitely BS.

Edited by Spidey

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

As I said, I've never cleared immigration and found bags for my flight on the carousel. Business or not.

Definitely BS. 

That's your experience not mine.  

One of the reasons I purchase biz is the quick exit at the other end.  I suspect you've not had your bags tagged priority.  

And where did I mention that our baggage was waiting for us?  I did state they're out first, though many times they're waiting for us.  

I do detect some envy in your posts as you're not happy with the fast track posts and business class also appears to rile you.

You pays your money you take your choice.

Edited by OneEyedPie

On 5/7/2019 at 1:42 PM, OneEyedPie said:

That's your experience not mine.  

One of the reasons I purchase biz is the quick exit at the other end.  I suspect you've not had your bags tagged priority. 

So taking an average in that business tends to be around 4 times more than economy (so in the case of Brits say £500 as opposed to £2000) you'd spend an additional £1500 because its a "quicker" getaway at the landing end ??...

I wouldnt spend £50 for that which is probably why I've clocked up 169 landings at BKK from the UK because I wont throw cash away needlessly. As regards bags mine are tagged priority anyway from Frequent flyer status so come off always in first batch anyway. £1500 lol that would keep me happy for a month in the sun