Ceiling fan repair - Advice Please

MrScratch

After a recent thunderstorm and lightning my lounge ceiling fan would only turn very slowly ????

The fan is only a few months old , but as its a long 140 Km round trip to take it back to the shop where it was purchased from I decided to take it to a local pump and fan repair shop.

The guy at the shop had a look and said that the problem was the start capacitor but he did not have any suitable replacement capacitors , but he did tell me that there was an electrical shop in the next village that may have the same capacitor . So off I went to the shop but they did not have a capacitor with the exact same ‘’ uf ‘’ numbers . So I bought the only capacitor the shop had in stock and fitted it .

After fitting the new capacitor ceiling fan still only turned very slowly . I tried each speed setting by pulling the small chain mounted on the side of the fan base , but still the fan only turns very slowly.

I am wondering as Ive now replaced the capacitor , but with different ‘’ uf ‘’ numbers , could that be the problem and I need to buy another capacitor , but with the same exact ‘’ uf ‘’ numbers .

Original Cap 2.jpg

Replacement.jpg

That can't work. Way too different.

From 0.9/1.5 to a replacement of 2/4 μF.

Where to get proper replacement without long travel?

Online order might be an option.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That can't work. Way too different.

From 0.9/1.5 to a replacement of 2/4 μF.

Where to get proper replacement without long travel?

Online order might be an option.

Thanks for the advice , Ive looked on Lazada + Ebay but can't find a 3 wire capacitor with the same exact '' uf '' numbers , I'm wondering if I could some how use a 2 Wire or 4 wire capacitor version ?

17 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Thanks for the advice , Ive looked on Lazada + Ebay but can't find a 3 wire capacitor with the same exact '' uf '' numbers , I'm wondering if I could some how use a 2 Wire or 4 wire capacitor version ?

I must have been wrong assuming that a 1.5/2.5 would work. My apologies. 

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

The 1.5 you can but as a single

And anyway: get the easy available 1.5 and wire only this path (gray-blue) to check whether the fan runs normally then. Just to make sure that nothing else is gone bad.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

And anyway: get the easy available 1.5 and wire only this path (gray-blue) to check whether the fan runs normally then. Just to make sure that nothing else is gone bad.

Just a thought , if after doing the gray-blue connection , and the fan still runs slowly , I’m wondering if the fan motor may have a problem with the motors starting winding ( see diagram )

Motor1.png

First off.  Match all the numbers when you are installing new electrical stuff... capacitors, fuses, relays, etc... especially if you are not familiar with how electricity works.  For safety reasons and also simply to make things work properly, the numbers are there to tell you something.  Even if you don't understand their meaning, and maybe especially if you don't understand their meaning, match the numbers. 

A capacitor is kind of like a battery.  It stores an electrical charge and is used to get something started, it provides a jolt to get something going, the motor that turns your fan.  The uf symbol is called a micro-farad and is a measure of it's capacitance. In order for the capacitor to work it needs a charge.... Your original capacitor needs 440 volts, the replacement you bought is rated at 250 volts and provides a higher uf, or capacitance.  You can't put a square tire on your motorbike and expect to make it to the store, right?  Just match up the numbers and get the right capacitor.  The lightning storm might have blown your original capacitor.  Also, if something is working below what it's supposed to work at... like a slowly turning fan, it might not be getting enough voltage, and yes this could be because of a bad capacitor.  

7 hours ago, opensea said:

First off.  Match all the numbers when you are installing new electrical stuff... capacitors, fuses, relays, etc... especially if you are not familiar with how electricity works.  For safety reasons and also simply to make things work properly, the numbers are there to tell you something.  Even if you don't understand their meaning, and maybe especially if you don't understand their meaning, match the numbers. 

Reasonable advice.

7 hours ago, opensea said:

Your original capacitor needs 440 volts,

Total BS it doesn't need 440V but can operate at that voltage and under.

The 250V capacitor has less over voltage capacity so is more easily damaged.

Capacitors used to start or control the speed of fans should be rated above peak voltage which will be around 310V for 220V RMS.

The labelling method on fan capacitors varies between manufacturers. Some will be labelled with their internal components voltage eg 450V others with max RMS eg 250V.

2 hours ago, Wirejerker said:

The capacitor you are playing with is only for speed control and if it were faulty it would still run on high speed. There is usually a start/run capacitor in the housing above the motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks , Ive had another look at the fan unit and cannot see any more components in the housing other than the 3 wire capacitor and a pull switch that control's the speed .

11 hours ago, essox essox said:

why not call the shop and ask them to come and look at your problem....???

reading the posts on here there are many sparkies...

The shop I purchased the fan from does not have any one who can come out to my house ( 140 km round trip ) ☹️

Archived