monthly deposit while gone

I think that is the problem, they want you to send it all the time every month, here or not... It's not very practical, I was going to start sending 40k equivalent monthly into a FCD, as it's about what I will spend over the year.. But since the longest trip I've had to Thailand is 56days, without having to return home,I have not really been motivated yet. 

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Anyone spending months out of the country is better off having a 'O-A' visa, and not an extension of stay that is meant for people that want to live in the country for one year.

SETVs are even better

• Haha 2

"

Until quite recently, that was true. However, immigration at many entry points (especially some airports) consider those visiting regularly to be "not genuine tourists" and reserve the right to abrogate your visa, and deny you entry. Extreme care is now needed if you want to visit regularly using only tourist entries."

Sure sure, I'm not worrying, nor should any other respectable American. But hey if they say no, guess I'll go somewhere else for the winter and then you will get rid of me here. Hope the bargirls can find another 2000 baht for a minute man.....

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Until quite recently, that was true. However, immigration at many entry points (especially some airports) consider those visiting regularly to be "not genuine tourists" and reserve the right to abrogate your visa, and deny you entry. Extreme care is now needed if you want to visit regularly using only tourist entries.

Just Don Meuang and Poipet no?

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. Pretty much every major airport except CNX.

Really? I guess I missed any broadening of Immigration's airport balloon popping. Most of the 'blocked and awaiting my flight out' sort of threads that I have clicked on here have seen the unfortunates nabbed at the city's northern airport. Yes, there's been a few at Suvarnabhumi but pretty much a few times daily at DMK, I think due to that being the LCC hive for budget travelers and thus border hoppers.

BritTim says 'some' airports, you claim 'pretty much every major airport' of which there's only 6 full-on international. Phuket, Krabi and Samui down south, the two Bangkok airports and Chiang Mai, no?

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Really? I guess I missed any broadening of Immigration's airport balloon popping. Most of the 'blocked and awaiting my flight out' sort of threads that I have clicked on here have seen the unfortunates nabbed at the city's northern airport. Yes, there's been a few at Suvarnabhumi but pretty much a few times daily at DMK, I think due to that being the LCC hive for budget travelers and thus border hoppers.

BritTim says 'some' airports, you claim 'pretty much every major airport' of which there's only 6 full-on international. Phuket, Krabi and Samui down south, the two Bangkok airports and Chiang Mai, no?

Most enter through DMK or BKK which is why you see most reports coming from those airports. 

I've heard good things about this new Krungthai Travel Card, Thai neighbors used these recently on foreign trips to Italy, France and the U.S. over Songkran.

No clue if this would address funds accessibility while being outside Thailand, assuming the challenge is a limited amount of funds available, some/most of which is currently being sent to Thailand to support the qualifying monthly transfer requirements.

https://www.ktb.co.th/en/content/personal/cards/krungthai-travel-card

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I've heard good things about this new Krungthai Travel Card, Thai neighbors used these recently on foreign trips to Italy, France and the U.S. over Songkran.

No clue if this would address funds accessibility while being outside Thailand, assuming the challenge is a limited amount of funds available, some/most of which is currently being sent to Thailand to support the qualifying monthly transfer requirements.

https://www.ktb.co.th/en/content/personal/cards/krungthai-travel-card

This card looks very simlar to the Transferwise Borderless Card or also the Revolut card. You load it up with different currencies and off you go, so it debits the appropriate currency deoending on which country you are in. Mine works well for GBP, AED and THB.

But for your Retriement Extension you still need 65k per month going into a Thai Bank Account FROM abroad and show that in your Bank book. I do not think these card will do that. Load your Transferwise Card up with THB during the month as & when you want/can. Then do a 65k transfer during the same week every month, preferably to Bkk Bank.

If you don't need the money here....you can always send it back via Dee Money.

19 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But for your Retriement Extension you still need 65k per month going into a Thai Bank Account FROM abroad and show that in your Bank book. I do not think these card will do that.

I made a few leaps without full explanation...

funds continue to be sent into Thailand each month to meet the monthly qualifying transfer requirements.

funds sent directly to the account associated with this KTB card, or funds transferred from the receiving bank/account to the account associated with this card.

This would give you access to these funds while you were outside Thailand.

Haven't done any research on this card - I don't need it - or the costs/complications of using it, or if it would even address the OP's requirement. I thought that it might, based on the question.

• Like 2

I would imagine the answer is "Yes".

I am on the 800,000 Bt. system. If I were going to be out of the country for 3 months I doubt they would accept 600,000 Bt. because of that ?

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

I spend 2 or 3 months maybe twice a year back in Aus. What I did when I was there last, the 65000 I had in my Bangkok bank account I withdrew from an atm in Australia and then just transferred it back to my Thai bank account the next month. Did that for a couple of months, costs about $20 in fees each time, just need a spare 65000 to use. So this allows me to have money to live on while in Australia. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

This card looks very simlar to the Transferwise Borderless Card or also the Revolut card. You load it up with different currencies and off you go, so it debits the appropriate currency deoending on which country you are in. Mine works well for GBP, AED and THB.

wgdanson can you confirm that the TW borderless card can be loaded by Thai baht directly from a Thai bank account? This could be very useful to recycle money back to your home country when not in Thailand, thank you

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jack james said:

If you are out of country for 3 or more months, are you still required to make the monthly 65,000baht deposits for retirement visa ?

If you apply for a 12-month extension of stay based on retirement, you'll of course need to deposit 12-month retirement pension fees into your bank account, so if that is your case then the answer is:

Yes.

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If you apply for a 12-month extension of stay based on retirement, you'll of course need to deposit 12-month retirement pension fees into your bank account, so if that is your case then the answer is:

Yes.

A number of my "snowbird" friends who spend the US winter in Thailand have already concluded that they'll be far better off financially by utilising METVs rather than attempting to keep to these new regulations for "retirement" extensions

There are some really thick people on TV! The days of tripping in and out on a tourist visa, and extending that are fast going and soon will be gone for good.

Thailand does not want people who 'live' here yet claim to be 'tourists' end of story.

If you can't afford the financial criteria for a marriage, or an O-A, or a business visa (and make a go of that business and get the renewed) then your out.

If your wining about staying here for years by scamming the visa system and have irresponsibly married someone (yes if you've been scamming the system on tourist visa's then that's relationally selfish and irresponsible) and made a family then you are to blame.  

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

There are some really thick people on TV! The days of tripping in and out on a tourist visa, and extending that are fast going and soon will be gone for good.

Thailand does not want people who 'live' here yet claim to be 'tourists' end of story.

If you can't afford the financial criteria for a marriage, or an O-A, or a business visa (and make a go of that business and get the renewed) then your out.

If your wining about staying here for years by scamming the visa system and have irresponsibly married someone (yes if you've been scamming the system on tourist visa's then that's relationally selfish and irresponsible) and made a family then you are to blame.  

What visas would you recommend for self funded foreigners who are under 50 years of age, and fly in / fly out workers? 

Edited by Leaver

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

What visas would you recommend for self funded foreigners who are under 50 years of age, and fly in / fly out workers? 

Elite visas for 5, 10 or 20 years. Not sure what you mean by fly in / fly out workers... I assume you meant that you work outside of Thailand and that you fly in & out often. Elite visas...

Edited by BertM

20 minutes ago, BertM said:

Elite visas for 5, 10 or 20 years. Not sure what you mean by fly in / fly out workers... I assume you meant that you work outside of Thailand and that you fly in & out often. Elite visas...

The Elite visa is a rational choice for many who are pretty sure they will be spending a lot of time in Thailand for many years. However, most who currently wish to spend about half of their time in Thailand are not so sure of their long term plans. A minimum five-year commitment is a major deterrent. For example, the fly-in/fly-out (such as one month on, one month off oil platform workers) who like to use Thailand as their base when not working, are very likely to change their behaviour if they get a new job.