Starting Biz, Tourist Visa, Have GF, Must work!

Here's the goal:

• Work at the small business I am starting with my Thai/American friend.

My situation:

• My Thai/American friend signed a rental agreement in his name. We'll work together (teaching).
  • I have a long term relationship with a Thai girl. I proposed, she said "yes."
  • Been here three years teaching legally but work permit no longer valid (I quit to start the biz)
  • Current Visa - 60 day tourist (about 50 days left and will extend to 90)
  • Business opens June 1
  • I'm American - 52 years.

So How do I work at this business?

• Marriage Visa?
  • Education Visa?
  • Something else?

Work permit seems to be the problem.

Thanks a bunch.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You will need a work permit and a non-b visa.

True. So marriage replaces the Non-B, correct? The marriage visa allows the Work Permit.

The Work permit is the problem since our business is small. 5,000,000 baht is just one of the hurdles the government requires to register a business from what we've read.

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

So How do I work at this business?

• Marriage Visa? Only if you're married.
  • Education Visa? Nope, you're not allowed to work on such a visa. It's for educational purposes only.
  • Something else? There are not too many options for you, not wanting to destroy your bubble. 

Thanks. Yes, we will get married but my company is too small to issue a work permit. Government require lots of money - 5 million baht in the bank

7 minutes ago, Bryan Scott said:

True. So marriage replaces the Non-B, correct? The marriage visa allows the Work Permit.

The Work permit is the problem since our business is small. 5,000,000 baht is just one of the hurdles the government requires to register a business from what we've read.

Marriage doesn't replace a Non-B visa/extension. If you're married, you can apply for a Non-O based on your wedding. Financial requirement 400 K in your bank, or 40 K income per month.

But you could apply for a ME Non-O at a consulate in Laos for example. No financial proof needed. There's already enough information on here.

Edited by Isaanbiker
Adding something
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bryan Scott said:

Thanks. Yes, we will get married but my company is too small to issue a work permit. Government require lots of money - 5 million baht in the bank

A company doesn't issue a work permit, the labor department does. Think twice, there are so many businesses where people have invested a lot of money but finally lost all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bryan Scott said:

So marriage replaces the Non-B, correct? The marriage visa allows the Work Permit.

You can apply for the work permit and have it issued with a non-o visa based upon marriage.

You seem to be referring to registered capital a company is registered. There is no fixed number for registered capital. For a work permit application the minimum is 2 million baht and if married to a Thai 1 million baht.

• Like 2

I seem to recall for every foreign work permit in the business, four Thai's must be employed by the business, or something like that. 

Of course, they don't have to actually show up to work, but I suppose you would have to show some sort of money flow to them, and insurance etc. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bryan Scott said:

'... what we've heard...'

Take the time to get a very clear understanding of all these items, then you have clear and specific focus of what options you have / what to do next.

And don't be too quick to believe either Thai or farang lawyers.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bryan Scott said:

If you really want to be here and successful long-term also check out the requirements (further down the line) for PR (Permanent Residence), mostly meaning continuing work permits and annual clearance of Thai personal tax returns for a number of years.

But eventually going for PR is a personal choice of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

If you or your friend is a USA citizen you or he can get a treaty of Amnity business which you can own 100% and this may solve your problem?

Worth checking out!

Not so easy nowadays and costs a lot of time and money to set up. Easier if you are opening a branch from a company already up and running in the USA.

Edit.

Plus the restricted jobs list still applies.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

If you or your friend is a USA citizen you or he can get a treaty of Amnity business which you can own 100% and this may solve your problem?

Worth checking out!

Opposite from solve.

Cost plenty in lawyers fees and time and investment

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

So you quit your job to start a business without finding out what the regulations were that would affect the feasibility of that business first?

Sounds like Thai scamming 101.

The first thing to look out for is so-called Thai friends

who always saying "can do, can do mo proplem"

and work permit "dont worry about that"

its all downhill from there.

• Haha 1