Rebound in Chinese tourists lifts airport passenger numbers

webfact

Rebound in Chinese tourists lifts airport passenger numbers

By THE NATION

6b2dfda077d846a8476afca46703dea1.jpeg

Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, AOT president

THE NUMBER of passengers travelling through the six airports run by Airports of Thailand (AOT) reached 38 million in the first quarter this year, up 4.49 per cent over the same quarter last year and largely driven by a rebound of Chinese arrivals, according to the company.

AOT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said he expects the total number of passengers to increase by 6-7 per cent for the entire year.

“We found the number of passengers at our airports has increased continuously in the first quarter of this year and reached about 38.73 million people, up 4.49 per cent compared to the same quarter of last year. Of them, about 23.19 million were passengers on international flights, which were up 5.30 per cent compared to the same quarter last year, and another 15.53 million were passengers on domestic flights, down 1.20 per cent compared to the same quarter last year.

“The market for Chinese tours is coming back, as seen from the higher number of passengers travelling through Chinese airlines.”

He noted an AOT requirement forbids individual airlines to be more than 20 per cent late on arrivals, departures or cancelled flights, or they will see their next flying slot cut. 

“This results in many international airlines competing to arrange promotions to keep their slots and ensure their flight slots at AOT airports are fully occupied at all times. We also anticipate that the tourism industry will continue to be healthy for the whole year, and will encourage an increase in the number of passengers at our six airports by between 6 per cent and 7 per cent, up from the 139.52 million recorded last year,” said Nitinai.

Suvarnabhumi Airport saw the number of passengers jump by 6.22 per cent year on year in the first quarter of this year to 17.65 million, followed by Don Mueang Airport, which saw a 2.8 per cent passenger increase in the first quarter to 10.69 million, and Phuket Airport with 1.09 per cent to 5.34 million passengers.

The number of passengers at Chiang Mai Airport also increased by 9.26 per cent in the first quarter to 3.21 million, while Chiang Rai Airport saw a 5.52 per cent bump to 806,102 people. Meanwhile, passengers at Hat Yai Airport dropped 4.79 per cent in the first quarter to about 1.01 million.

The number of flights across the six airports increased by 4.76 per cent in the first quarter over last year to 233,107, of which 127,951 were international flights, up 7.23 per cent compared to the same quarter last year. 

Another 105,156 were domestic flights, up 1.90 per cent. Suvarnabhumi Airport posted the highest number of flights at 98,435, up 6.50 per cent over the same quarter in 2018, followed by Don Mueang Airport with a 2.71 per cent increase in flight numbers to 68,987. The number of flights at Phuket Airport also increased 0.68 per cent in the first quarter to 31,463.

The number of passengers who travelled through low-cost airlines reached 19.02 million in the first quarter of this year, up 6.36 per cent over last year, of which 8.05 million passengers were on international routes, up 16.53 per cent. Another 10.96 million passengers were on domestic routes, down 0.04 per cent from the same quarter last year.

Don Mueang Airport shows the highest number of passengers using low-cost airlines at 10.57 million in the first quarter this year, up 3.74 per cent compared to the same quarter last year, following by Phuket Airport at 2.49 million, up 4.34 per cent; and Suvarnabhumi Airport at 2.37 million, up 27.57 per cent compared to the same quarter last year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30368933

thenation_logo.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Would you buy a used car from this guy?

AOT 2.JPG

I wouldnt buy a car from him but if I owned a tobacco company I would hire him to run the PR department.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why would this increased number of passengers fly here to contract lung cancer?

For the same reason Westerners subject themselves to humiliation and inconveniences to inhale smog and smell stinky sois in an Authoritarian country. It is called the lure the lure of cheap sex. This lure is very powerful. 

39 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I wouldn't buy a used car from Any Local...........

I wouldn't buy any car or motorbike from anyone here even if you put a gun to my head.

I don't care what joker is selling it.

You only need a car if you live in Nakon Nowhere with Noi.

A quick getaway!

Edited by Lucius verus
  • Haha 2

These stories are a result of an automated system, the algorithms detect a story on low tourist numbers as was posted recently. 

"Thailand sees rare but significant drop in tourist arrivals"

They then counter with the new and more face saving item.

"Rebound in Chinese tourists lifts airport passenger numbers"

Now in widespread use in Thai media the system is also responsible for the "Honest Taxi driver" stories and in all corruption denial articles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing creative counting. I think some these people counting have 10 fingers on each hand. Has anybody counted how and where the Chinese are spending in Thailand as normally most of their expenditure  is done thru Chinese connections and Chinese business people. Not a lot flowing into Thailand ?

Seems  some people on this site are not happy with tourist numbers on the increase  to Thailand

they would rather see a decrease  and look for the Negative  side of things rather than the positive 

Tourists will always come to Thailand Chinese  now Indians next ?

He states: “The market for Chinese tours is coming back, as seen from the higher number of passengers traveling through Chinese airlines.”

That means I must be Chinese, as I always fly Chinese airlines to Thailand.....Even though I Caucasian form the USA.

41 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

For the same reason Westerners subject themselves to humiliation and inconveniences to inhale smog and smell stinky sois in an Authoritarian country. It is called the lure the lure of cheap sex. This lure is very powerful. 

You mention this lure in so many of your posts You must be really hooked to it by now... Ain't you Mr. Linchi ?? :cheesy:

Edited by LongTang

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

It's not even cheap any more I heard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE REVERAND said:

Amazing creative counting. I think some these people counting have 10 fingers on each hand. Has anybody counted how and where the Chinese are spending in Thailand as normally most of their expenditure  is done thru Chinese connections and Chinese business people. Not a lot flowing into Thailand ?

My friend just reported from Pattaya that the Chinese have taken all the cute girls and that girls are charging double or triple what they used to charge just a few years ago.

Good for the girls if true.

Same was reported in another thread here on thaivisa.

Edited by hobz

7 minutes ago, hobz said:

My friend just reported from Pattaya that the Chinese have taken all the cute girls and that girls are charging double or triple what they used to charge just a few years ago.

Good for the girls if true.

Same was reported in another thread here on thaivisa.

I have never met a bargirl who enjoys the company of Chinese people.

But maybe they were lying to me

1 minute ago, Peterbkk99 said:

have never met a bargirl who enjoys the company of Chinese people. But maybe they were lying to me

Like most Thais they gave you the answer they thought you wanted to hear

• Thanks 1