Best Visa Option

I lived in Thailand from 2009-2014, and for most of that time was on a non-immigration visa with work permit from my school.  I married a Thai and we now live most of the year in the USA and she is on a "green card".  Our marriage is recognized both in the USA and Thailand (we have paperwork).  Over the last few years we have been spending between 1-3 months in Thailand and I have been doing visa exempt entries with extensions where needed.  I am employed full time in the USA but my job is flexible (lets say computer based) and can work from anywhere.  We (she) also still owns our home in Bangkok.  Starting next year we are hoping to live 4-6 months in Thailand.  Also, I am in my late 30s so do not qualify for retirement visa.  My question is, what visa would be the easiest?  I am not concerned about the money, within reason, but more about time filling out forms and doing boarder runs etc. 

Would i qualify for a marriage visa if we are only in the country for 4-6 months per year?

Are METVs easy to do through the mail (not near embassy)?

Is there another option im not aware of?

Visit a Thai consulate, not an embassy in your country of origin and it should be easy to sort that out. At a consulate in your country, you're dealing with folks from your country, not Thais. like when you'd go to a Thai embassy. 

Another option for you would be to drive to Savannakhet/Laos and apply for a Non-O, ME visa, where you'll have to leave the country every 90 days. There's no financial proof needed. ( Non-O, based on marriage to a Thai).

Edited by Isaanbiker
Adding a sentence

1 hour ago, yourauntbob said:

Would i qualify for a marriage visa if we are only in the country for 4-6 months per year?

I assume you’re referring to a 1 year extension of stay issued by immigration that’s often called a “marriage visa”. 

Yes you could probably get one, but IMO it wouldn’t be worth the hassle if you’re spending so much time out of the country.

Are METVs easy to do through the mail (not near embassy)?

You have better options.

Is there another option im not aware of?

You should get a single entry Non Immigrant ‘O’ visa as the spouse of a Thai. That will give you 90 days on entry that can be extended in a Thailand by 60 days (1,900 baht). 

If you need longer than 150 days (approx 5 months) you could do a border run; exit and immediately re-enter under visa exemption (VE). VE gives you 30 days on entry that can be extended by 30 or 60 days if necessary.

• Like 1

A one year multiple entry Non O, based on marriage to a Thai, is almost certainly the easiest option. This gives you 90-day permissions to stay each time you enter. If you need more than 90 days for a specific visit, either a border bounce for a fresh 90-day stay, or a 60-day extension (available from an immigration office for 1,900 baht) are possible. You should be able to arrange the visa by mail. Probably, the visa will not even require financial proof. If necessary at all, the equivalent of about US$15,000 in a bank anywhere will be sufficient.

While not really an issue, some will frown on you working online while in Thailand. Although getting a work permit for such activities is pretty much impossible, according to the letter of the law it is possibly illegal to do any form of work without one. In practice, the authorities are aware it goes on, and tolerate it, but it is probably best to do your work quietly.

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A one year multiple entry Non O, based on marriage to a Thai, is almost certainly the easiest option.

It’s unnecessary for one trip per year. A SE plus extension is good for trips up to 5 months. If he stays over 5 months a border run is needed with or without a ME visa.    

Thanks at all for the responses.  Sounds like Elvia suggestion might be the winner.

In case it makes any difference, i am currently in the USA.  We plan to return early 2020.  If i was going for the SE and planning to return in mid Jan, about when would be ideal to apply.  My issue with going to a consulate is that the nearest is a 5 hour drive away and would require a day (maybe two) off work.  Is this something i can mail in?

You can apply anytime within 3 months before the date you plan to enter Thailand.

The visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. That means you can enter on any day within that 3 month window and you will receive a 90 day stay.

The Embassy in Washington will accept postal applications

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks to all for the info.  Just wanted to give a quick update in case it helps anyone else.

Mailed info the New York Consulate, my wife called and spoke with the Washington consulate and they stated we needed to go through NYC.  It sounded like when applying from the USA, they have some zoning depending on where you live.  So double check before applying.

Got a non O based on marriage without issue.  Even though we plan to be there (and airline tickets show) for more than 90 days, no problem getting the single entry visa.  It took about 4 days for them to process the paperwork and send it back out.  With two day shipping each way total turnaround was only about 12 days (including weekends).  Most of the people working in the NYC consulate seem to be Thai.  When i called and pressed 2 for English i got nothing.  When my wife called they picked up immediately and were very helpful to her.  For anyone applying through NYC, might be better to use a Thai person to clarify anything.   Below is what was sent

-          Application form

-          Airline confirmation

-          Doctor from

-          2 passport photo’s with authentication card

-          Money order for $80 issued from the US Postal Service

-          Thai Marriage certificate

-          Photo copies of my wife’s green card, passport, Thai ID card

-          Copy of my wife’s home registration book

-          Brokerage statements for the previous 3 months showing adequate funds for my stay

-          Credit card information showing additional available funds in case of emergency

-          Letter from my employer showing employment upon my return

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, yourauntbob said:

Quick question, i know that immigration can turn people away for visa exempt if they dont have 20,000 thai baht on hand.  does this apply to non O visas as well?

For visa exempt the rules state 10k baht. The 20k baht is for any type of visa entry.

• 2 months later...

I tried searching TV for this answer and although im sure its on here, couldn't find the answer.  Therefore figured having it in this thread would help others as all info will be in one place.

Im almost at the point where i need to do my 60 day extension.  Is there any time restrictions on how close to the date of visa expiration I am able to do the extension?  Also, i know i will need my passport, photo copies of front page and entry page, along with a couple pictures.   Anything else i need for a non-o 60 day extension? 

41 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

Im almost at the point where i need to do my 60 day extension.  Is there any time restrictions on how close to the date of visa expiration I am able to do the extension?  Also, i know i will need my passport, photo copies of front page and entry page, along with a couple pictures. 

There are several ongoing topics where the 60 day extension has been discussed.

You could apply to 2 week early up to the last day.

You wife will need to be with you when you when you apply. 

You marriage certificate and a copy of it, copies your wife's house book registry and ID card.

A copy of your visa and TM6 departure card along with the others you mentioned. One 4 X 6 cm photo for the TM7 application form.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

There are several ongoing topics where the 60 day extension has been discussed.

You could apply to 2 week early up to the last day.

You wife will need to be with you when you when you apply. 

You marriage certificate and a copy of it, copies your wife's house book registry and ID card.

A copy of your visa and TM6 departure card along with the others you mentioned. One 4 X 6 cm photo for the TM7 application form.

I appreciate you restating here