Thai coin found in Canada...looking for advice

Mamaj

Hello from Canada!!

I received this coin when I purchased something in a store. It looks a lot like our $2 coin. I tried to look it up on google and the results I am getting are very curious. I think I have a 1990 10 bhat coin (which I understand to be quite rare).  

I have attached a picture. 

Could anyone here let me know anything about this coin?  

I am grateful for any help you could give. 

35C4E885-E371-45D9-BD29-AA4BFCF0FEF2.jpeg

7E645406-57B1-4371-8EC0-A53E952A899E.jpeg

41 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Unfortunately for you, somebody saw the similarity to your Canadian $2.00 coin, had this Thai 10 Baht coin laying around and decided to get rid of it in this manner to save a little Canadian money.

Damn Im just a mere 300 miles from the border and I have this pile of 10bs in my pushke.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Save your 10 baht coin...book a flight to Thailand...redeem at any street food vendor...

You cant even buy a plastic bag for 10 baht these days!

• Haha 1

I went through my loose change can and the oldest 10 baht coin I found is dated 2539. As it is currently 2562 (by the Buddhist calendar used in Thailand), that makes that coin a mere 23 years old (minted in 1996).
20190508_145035.thumb.jpg.7af8b771fc7caaf191075478fb7c61de.jpg  180

Meanwhile, the coin pictured in the OP is dated 2551, making it a mere 11 years old (minted in 2008), like this one:
20190508_145114.thumb.jpg.489762b0f4c3b966e3204afbf2915c87.jpg  20190508_145128.thumb.jpg.ee737bb1ed6fae07543fbc9206fe5a01.jpg

I recall many years ago (when I lived in Canada) that people would often try to scam vending machines and bus/fare/token machines by using coins of a similar size (and weight) to the Canadian equivalent. I'd also received foreign coins in change occasionally, usually from a supermarket or maybe when at a bar. 

As the Canadian dollar is trading at about $1/23.6 ฿, a 10 baht coin is worth about 42 cents Canadian. I wouldn't consider retiring just yet.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

It also looks like a €2 coin. In know of a guy who collects them while here on holiday and gives them out in change when working nights in his Taxi when he goes back home.

British coin is opposite way around, yellow on the outside, silver centre ! Spot that difference easily.

If talking at night in a Taxi with drunk people you could pass anything. ????

• Thanks 2

If you could record a Vlog or blog the video how you would use the 10 Baht to make it into a nice looking ring with jewelry. I bet it could be rare and speculative.
Either you could be hate for destroying the image of the late respected King or the temple emblem. Or if you managed to save both images and place it back to the final product which is the ring in a special display. It probably worth more than 10 Baht as it have artistic and respectual value.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

It also looks like a €2 coin. In know of a guy who collects them while here on holiday and gives them out in change when working nights in his Taxi when he goes back home.

I seem to recall that when the 2-euro coin first came out, it was the same size and weight as a 10 baht coin, so it had to be changed as the Thai coin was older and already been established. 

Edited by Inn Between
  • Thanks 1

10 years ago when they still had gambling machines in holland in bars ,you could put a 10 baht coin in there in stead of a 2 euro coin and fill it up and pay out untill the machine starts to pay out the 10 baht coins again, those where the good old days. went to a lot of bars to empty the machines, made a good amount of money .???????? right up untill the machine owners started to find out and change the coin intakes. after that no more gambling .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

10 years ago when they still had gambling machines in holland in bars ,you could put a 10 baht coin in there in stead of a 2 euro coin and fill it up and pay out untill the machine starts to pay out the 10 baht coins again, those where the good old days. went to a lot of bars to empty the machines, made a good amount of money .???????? right up untill the machine owners started to find out and change the coin intakes. after that no more gambling .

Are you still a thief?

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your educational and informative posts. I am grateful to all of you took the time and labour to answer. And thank you for the funny ones too!  

11 minutes ago, Mamaj said:

Thank you all so much for your educational and informative posts. I am grateful to all of you took the time and labour to answer. And thank you for the funny ones too!  

They are all bullsh***g ya kid, it really is a rare piece that I know one shop is looking for in BKK, in fact, its proabaly worth a mill. Hey so let me borrow $1500 for airfare and Ill take it right over to BKK. Ill sign an agteement to pay you the exact amount I get for it.

• Haha 1