If you thought registering your Rabbit card was a pain, welcome to Line Pay registration!

If you thought registering your Rabbit card was a pain, welcome to Line Pay registration!

Line Pay is dead handy for moving small amounts around between friends, even paying in shops and restaurants, no need for cash.

Well, today I went to send a work collegue 14 Baht for the Coke she got me from the Seven. 

Transaction denied "You must complete the registration process to use this facility", huh? 

The process is done on-line through the Line App on your phone. It wants:-

• A stack of the usual personal info, address etc.
  • Then a photo of your passport (taken through your phone camera).
  • Then, I kid you not, a photo of you holding up said passport(also taken through your phone camera). Proof of Life anyone? Next it will be a copy of today's Nation.
  • Then wait for what appears to be a manual verification (currently 3 hours and counting).

Meanwhile Line Pay have my 89 Baht (I can't top up either until they finish doing their thing).

Whilst the requirement is hardly a surprise given the government's attitude to eMoney systems I hadn't seen this coming.

No warning of impending doom, no "you can keep using whilst we verify", nothing!

I gave the lady cash!

Right, same problem. Can't top-up BTS card or do anything until we send them all our personal details and photos of ourselves holding passport.  I think I'll ditch this Rabbit card and just get a new un-linked one once all the trips are used. Topping up by credit card at the window is no hassle really, probably quicker than doing it on the phone. Plus an unlinked card shows you your remaining balance at the turnstile whereas a linked one only shows on your phone.

15 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

I think I'll ditch this Rabbit card and just get a new un-linked one once all the trips are used.

You'll still need to register your new card, so take your passport with you, it's pretty painless now the rush is over.

I'm in China and that is exactly what we have to do for WeChat pay which is used everywhere in China nowadays.  The hold your passport next to your face thing is common especially in the age of internet where you could literally submit any number of photos of someone else's passport.  To register for coinbase or binance (if you trade/use crypto currencies) they often require you to have your passport on the left side of your face and a hand written note containing: the days date, the time, and a request to 'register me for binance please' or such.  

My Line Pay was registered at a booth with passport and credit card. Then I went to use it some weeks later, I got the verification think described here. I failed the first time, I imagined tossing the card, paying BTS cash each trip. I have little patience for this stuff. It dud go through the second time.

The Rabbit Card was a nuisance, but it did not take that long.  I showed her my passport, which I happened to have on me for another reason.  As for this LINE bs, cash is king (at least some coins).

Hi.  If anyone does know a GOOD Rabbit Line Pay support person who speaks English well somewhere on the BTS line, I'd be grateful for any recommendation.

I had a working BTS Rabbit card for the past year that worked just fine.  But seeing all the promotions for Line Pay, I decided a week ago to go with Line Pay at a Rabbit Line Pay counter at my local BTS station.  They "converted" my classic BTS Rabbit card into a Line Pay card by "registering it".  At this point, the 600 THB that I had on the BTS Rabbit card showed up in the Line Wallet as a credit for Line Pay.

And hell began. 

First of all, when I went to my local Food court, which I have always been able to pay with my Rabbit card, the card now shows NO MONEY on it!  I could no longer use my Rabbit card to pay for a restaurant!  I asked the Line guy at the BTS station what's going on.  The guy said that he thinks that my food court has older Rabbit scanners and they don't accept the cards when they are converted to Line pay.  Grrrr!

Next.... 24 hours after having done my registration, I received a Line message that my ID photos were not valid for Line Pay.  These photos were done with the assistance of the Line people when I registered.   Grrrrr!  The guy at the Line booth just told me to retake them from home.  I did that.  24 hours later... I received a Line message informing me that my photo (again) wasn't acceptable, and the app asked me to do it again.  I tried again.  24 hours later, same result.  Rejection.  So that was 3 rejections!

I finally called Line this morning on their Help number, and chose the option "English".  Unfortunately, I don't speak Thai very well at all.  And sadly, the person who answered didn't speak English very well.  I explained the problem and told her that I have good phone/camera, and I've tried now 3 times to upload photos.  She just kept repeating, "try again".  I asked if I could possibly go to an office to just show my passport and/or have them take the photo, and she said No, not possible.  I asked if it would be possible for me to take photos outside of their Line app and e-mail them the photos.  No, not possible.  I then asked if I could just cancel my Line Pay account.  She said yes, but I'll lose the 600 THB in my account.  So I just retried to take the photos and uploaded.  I'll be (very) pleasantly surprised if these photos don't get rejected.

Basically, I find that Line Pay (at least with a BTS card) is horribly complex, confusing, badly documented and badly supported (at least in English).  I'd strongly recommend avoiding it! 

7 minutes ago, carlf said:

So I just retried to take the photos and uploaded.  I'll be (very) pleasantly surprised if these photos don't get rejected.

Are you getting someone to take the photos for you? Selfie images may not show all the detail they want.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you getting someone to take the photos for you? Selfie images may not show all the detail they want.

Hi Crossy.  Thanks for your remarks.

The first time I tried, I was at the Line Pay booth at my BTS, and the Line Pay salesperson took the photos.  The 2nd, 3rd and now 4th time, I've been taking them myself. 

For info, the first photo is just of the passport page... not a selfie.  The 2nd photo is me holding the passport open.  It is a selfie, but frankly, I don't see how it could be much better.  I have a 6 month old phone with a good camera.

19 minutes ago, carlf said:

It is a selfie, but frankly, I don't see how it could be much better.

They need to be able to verify that it's the same passport and that you look like the photo. Before sending the images make sure that you can see the passport and your face clearly.

I got one of the girls in the office to do the necessary, and she tried several times to get a decent photo (I think I scare the camera).

EDIT  You need to show all of the data page in your first image and make sure you don't have your finger over any of the data in the second????

21 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

I think I'll ditch this Rabbit card and just get a new un-linked one once all the trips are used

You CAN unlink your card from Line, but the balance stays in your Line Pay account so you need to run that down first.

Go to any of the BTS stations with a Line terminal (all of them I believe) and ask them to "unbind" your card (that's the terminology used in the manual).

21 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

Right, same problem. Can't top-up BTS card or do anything until we send them all our personal details and photos of ourselves holding passport.  I think I'll ditch this Rabbit card and just get a new un-linked one once all the trips are used. Topping up by credit card at the window is no hassle really, probably quicker than doing it on the phone. Plus an unlinked card shows you your remaining balance at the turnstile whereas a linked one only shows on your phone.

How do you get an "unlinked" card? What is an "unlinked" card?

Whatever we tried to get without registration apart from single fare was no longer available without registering incl. top up.

The linked Rabbit card is a royal pain. I ended up adding money (topping up) the linked card separately from the Line Rabbit account. I now have a Rabbit card that has a both linked amount and a standalone amount. Some places (like Subway and BTS) seem to use the linked account. Other places (like McDonalds and the BRT) use the amount on the card itself (standalone/unlinked). 

It is crazy that I now have to monitor two accounts for the same card. It works but a big pain to keep track of. Rather than make things simpler, it has obfuscated the whole Rabbit transaction usage.

If I knew I was going to have to just add money back into the Rabbit card after linking, I wouldn't have bothered to link in the first place. I am just hoping maybe the technology is in the infant stage and will get better over time so there will no longer be any need to have a card balance separate from the linked account. Here's to hope...

Just now, Letseng said:

How do you get an "unlinked" card? What is an "unlinked" card?

Just go to a BTS ticket office and ask for a Rabbit card, you will need your passport as all emoney instruments must be registered (like your phone SIM).

At this point, if they ask if you want Line Pay say NO!

No further registration will be asked for.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, Crossy said:

Well, today I went to send a work collegue 14 Baht for the Coke she got me from the Seven. 

Transaction denied "You must complete the registration process to use this facility", huh? 

Yeah, same thing happened to me the other day at McDonalds. I just ended up using my Rabbit card instead of the Line app.

When I got home I tried to register LINE Pay but failed the first time due to a photograph issue with the selfie. I then resubmitted the selfie photo with the passport and it went through the second time. I did notice that after registering the first time, I could temporarily use the Line QR code until they determined they didn't like my photo. When I resubmitted the photo, I could use Line QR code to pay right away and didn't have to wait for confirmation. It took less than a day for confirmation.

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You CAN unlink your card from Line, but the balance stays in your Line Pay account so you need to run that down first.

Go to any of the BTS stations with a Line terminal (all of them I believe) and ask them to "unbind" your card (that's the terminology used in the manual).

Thanks for this suggestion, Crossy.  I'll try to run it down... In spite of my photos not being validated yet, I just tested my card in a BTS, and I was able to at least use it for a BTS ride (and I got the Line message confirming the trip and deducting the amount of the trip).  In the mean time, I'm so frustrated that I'll probably just trot down to my BTS station and purchase a new "classic" Rabbit BTS card and use it the way I had happily been using it for the past year. 

PS. I'm quite sure that my photos were taken appropriately... no fingers covering anything.  But these photos taken with their ID app don't show up in any of my phone folders, so I can't go back and check what the photos look like, or whether they can be enlarged to read details, etc. 

Does anyone know if there is a Line Pay (and even basic Line) manual available in reasonably clear English?  (either in PDF format, or web pages)

Also, has anyone found a human that works at one of those Line Pay booths that seems to really understand how it works, and speaks English well?  Preferably someone at a booth on the Sukhumvit BTS line.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Just go to a BTS ticket office and ask for a Rabbit card, you will need your passport as all emoney instruments must be registered (like your phone SIM).

I have a Rabbit card that I have been using for a couple of years. I never registered it.  I come to Bangkok from Chiang Rai every couple of months.  Today I added money to that card as was not asked to register it.  Based on what I heard I was ready with my passport but was never asked.

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

Today I added money to that card as was not asked to register it.

Was the station busy? It seems that (as yet) the reload process and registration check are not integrated. Rest assured that, one day, you'll be asked so don't run it right down unless you have your PP with you.

2 hours ago, carlf said:

Does anyone know if there is a Line Pay (and even basic Line) manual available in reasonably clear English?  (either in PDF format, or web pages)

I don't think there's one even in Thai, I've been feeling my way around it with Thai's who know how it works.

Let me check with those that know.

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Was the station busy? It seems that (as yet) the reload process and registration check are not integrated. Rest assured that, one day, you'll be asked so don't run it right down unless you have your PP with you.

For what it's worth.... after that new law went into effect (end of Feb 2019?), I wasn't asked either for my PP a few times when I recharged my card, but eventually I was asked.  Happily, at my particular station, the woman accepted just a photocopy of my passport which I always carry with me.  No need for the actual PP.  I don't know if all the agents accept the copy however.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I got a new Rabbit card with just a Thai driving license today. I believe it is registered, I topped it up with trips at the same time.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I was at Asoke but on the west end so it was not too busy.  Nobody in line.  I’m sure someday I’ll be asked.  I’ve heard that a Thai drivers license will work in place of my passport.  Is that true?

1 minute ago, statman78 said:

I was at Adobe but on the west end so it was not too busy.  Nobody in line.  I’m sure someday I’ll be asked.  I’ve heard that a Thai drivers license will work in place of my passport.  Is that true?

Asoke - Autocorrect rules OK ????

The post before yours suggests that the DL will work, but it's not certain of course.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

How safe is all this malarky re Identity cloning?

You're not giving out anything that immigration, your bank, or any one of a zillion other organisations don't already have.

If you are that worried you'll have to stick with cash and single-ride tickets I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You're not giving out anything that immigration, your bank, or any one of a zillion other organisations don't already have.

If you are that worried you'll have to stick with cash and single-ride tickets I'm afraid.

Precisely (????)

I do have Line PAY but the verification process was a little bit different, it was all done after a

code sent by SMS and linking an account.

It was done before the Rabbit force was strong in Line.

I just looked to the application, and tried to lookup my registration information and found out that Line PAY is registered and working, at least the Wallet and paying my utilities bills and mobile topups..

But when I click on the Rabbit Line PAY button then he said that I have to verify my identification.

This is new for me, and had not seen that message before.

I have had Rabbit linked in another application, Rabbit Rewards, and now that application is giving an connection error and no cards are linked.

So it seems that Line PAY has now two sections (Line Wallet itself and Rabbit Line PAY)

and that I need to verify my identification to make the the Rabbit part working again.

I am not sure if the Rabbit Reward application is still active, and that it just need an update plus the verification process. Perhaps someone can confirm.

41182.thumb.jpg.b5d49376a0f4a25d0cd558200a8fdab7.jpg41183.thumb.jpg.3bb98c858d6532b123b9c26394379bc5.jpg41184.thumb.jpg.109b2b0fe1c2744978ffdd8350598313.jpg41185.thumb.jpg.2823b89e2695de4154a7ac9ec8df8b58.jpg

Line Wallet

Archived