Hi So Nanny Adieu - visa ?

We had a Burmese housekeeper who converted into a nanny after we had twins. She started out as a typical village girl, not knowing much, was well looked after with a salary towards the end approaching almost a degree level entry level job and pretty. Overseas trips and ate what we ate and we considered her a part of the family - even encouraged her to finish high school at our cost

But it’s never enough and wanted more so she no longer works w us

Cancelled her work permit today but visa still valid apparently, and would prefer to cancel too and let her new employer jump through their own hoops

Any advice if can and where to do for Burmese ? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Its not possible for you to cancel her Visa. Only the issuing authority can do it.

My ex-employer tried (that was vengence) and they told him to errr.....go away, in not so many words.

Cancelling the work permit should give you enough remove to protect you from any comebacks.

Thanks for the advice. Will stick w that then. Thought visa could also be an issue

I am very out of date - in the old days when u left a job and WP removed, u had 3 days to leave the country

'm just interested, curious, I've no skin in this game but did she go back to Burma to visit family? Is she on a ME? Or is her family in Thailand?

If you want a replacement 21k + grub sounds ok to me. Where do I apply? I've seen Uncle Buck, I'm well qualified.

She got another job close by I think. No problem, just want to make sure I have no legal responsibility anymore

Will keep you in mind when the upgraded one leaves :) - are u cute ?

A good nanny in Bangkok gets around 18000 to 25000 Baht month. They usually do a bit of house keeping or cooking . If you have someone looking after  your kids , you want someone you can trust ..

• Like 2

I have a little bit of a different perspective than most of the rest of you. In the West, for the most part, loyalty to an employer who has treated you well is considered naive. As an employee, you should always look out for yourself. Any problems your employer has are his business. There is also an assumption in the West that the employer will try to give the employees the minimum possible, and lay them off as soon as expedient. In Asia, it is often rather different, with a much closer bond between employer and employee, creating some implied obligations (in both directions).

As others have pointed out, we do not know the full story here. However, it is possible that (looked at through the lens of a long term family retainer in Asia) the nanny was avaricious and lacking in a loyalty that the employer might have had a right to expect. I am not taking sides here as I do not know enough. I am just pointing out that others may be too harsh on the OP.

• Like 1

Young Burmese (Mon) girls working in Thailand get a lot of family pressure to get salary increases and their loyalty is with the family regardless how one treats them. They mean well but family comes first. 

A good nanny in Bangkok gets around 18000 to 25000 Baht month. They usually do a bit of house keeping or cooking . If you have someone looking after  your kids , you want someone you can trust ..

English speaking ?

Thai speaking in south east bkk is about 11k to 18k normally. Cleaning between 7k to 12k