Retirement visa extension ,and alternatives to 400k inpatient ,plus 40k outpatient insurance.

I am sure this issue is stressing many ex pats.

Being 73 this year and having pre existing conditions, obviously insurance is going to be an insane cost.

Does anyone know if the powers that be ,will allow an ex pat to have the 440,000 baht in a bonded account, in place of having to use nominated insurance companies.

This would obviously be a get out of jail card for many of us.

Plus no issues with pre existing conditions.

Does anyone know if for instance, the ex pats club are putting this idea to the powers that be?

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no requirement for insurance if you are on an extension of stay or a OA long stay visa at this time. The only visa that has such a requirement is the 10 year non-ox visa.

It was first mentioned several months ago as something being considered for a OA visa but it never went any further than that.

• Like 2

A post in Thai has been removed.

Forum rule.

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

I think the new requirement for retirement extension retirees to keep 400,000 baht in their bank account for the following 12 months lets immigration cover the need for insurance - even if it's not officially stated.

8 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

I think the new requirement for retirement extension retirees to keep 400,000 baht in their bank account for the following 12 months lets immigration cover the need for insurance - even if it's not officially stated.

How in your opinion are those who rely on monthly income "unofficially" covered then? And if the retiree spends some or all of the 400K on medical expenses how does he qualify for a fresh extension?

23 hours ago, d4291797 said:

Does anyone know if for instance, the ex pats club are putting this idea to the powers that be?

I have no knowledge that the Expat Club has any input to 'the powers that be'. The only conduit might well be via the regular agent/adviser they use.

Preexisting conditions bring about exclusions, but you may be able to get insurance. At 73 you can get cover for about 40,000 baht, although a medical would be required before. With OP that goes up to about 82,000 baht.

I do not expected a bonded or restricted account would be accepted by immigration, they always expect the money to be accessible, despite them not letting you access it, go figure!

• Like 1