International Driving Permit at Bang Chak DLT

Apparently, to get an International Driving Permit (IDP), I need to go to the nearest Dept. of Land Transport (DLT) office which, for me, is near Bang Chak BTS in Bangkok. I found a page that says it costs about B500, and I'll need my current license, passport and copies of the usual pages, and 2 (I think) photos. 
What I'm wondering is...has anyone done this recently? If so, about how long does it take? I may bring the copies and photos with me, but am wondering if I can get in the building? Is anything else required (like 'doctor's report'...)?
Thx.

Yes, I have 5 yr license. Unfortunately, I don't have time to get proof of residence as I leave this coming Tuesday and no appointments at US embassy on either Monday or Tuesday. Oh well. Not even sure I'd try to rent car in Yerp, but might have nice to have the option. From some forums, some guys have had no trouble renting/driving in France/Italy/Spain, etc. (places I may go). Maybe a woman I'm visiting there has a license. I'll ask her. Actually, I have a proof of residence that I was going to use to get a motorbike license last October that I never used (appointment dates were too far ahead for me). But I'm quite sure they'd want a POR that's from the last month or so.

7 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

no appointments at US embassy on either Monday or Tuesday

Just get the confirmation from your local immigration office. It does not take long. No need to bother about the embassy.

Can you drive in Thailand on only a Thai international Driving Permit ?

My 5 year licence expires in September and I am not 100% confident on passing the peripheral color test. I see the lights but not the colors.

If I fail could I use the Thai IDP in Thailand as a stop gap ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Can you drive in Thailand on only a Thai international Driving Permit ?

My 5 year licence expires in September and I am not 100% confident on passing the peripheral color test. I see the lights but not the colors.

If I fail could I use the Thai IDP in Thailand as a stop gap ?

How did you manage to pass the 5 year?

Just now, giddyup said:

How did you manage to pass the 5 year?

Everything else was a breeze but when you have to put your chin in the cup ( to hold your head steady ) and they turn on different colored pin prick lights at the edge of your peripheral vision I was stumped. I failed. 

When everyone else had moved on the guy had me redo the test. I knew I would still not see the color so I resorted to cheating  ( nothing venture nothing gained ) and instead of resting my chin on the cup I held it about half inch above it. When the lights came on a quickly moved my head to the right and got the right answer. But he said I had to get both lights so we did it again and this time I moved my head rapidly left and right and got the answer. Of course he knew I had cheated but he just laughed and waved me through. Passed the traffic light test and wall chart test ok.

However....I confess I was lucky. Might not be so lucky come September. I was thinking of getting little mirrors attached to my glasses. If I succeed I'll patent them !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

However....I confess I was lucky. Might not be so lucky come September. I was thinking of getting little mirrors attached to my glasses. If I succeed I'll patent them !!

Reason I asked is because I'm colour blind and have cheated on the test 3 times. First to get the 12 month licence, then the 5 year, then a 5 year renewal. Been lucky that I had a falang standing next to me every time who whispered the colours to me as the tester was pointing at the colour. Been driving for 60 years and never had a problem distinguishing a traffic light colour yet, so the test here is total BS.

Edited by giddyup

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Reason I asked is because I'm colour blind and have cheated on the test 3 times. First to get the 12 month licence, then the 5 year, then a 5 year renewal. Been lucky that I had a falang standing next to me every time who whispered the colours to me as the tester was pointing at the colour. Been driving for 60 years and never had a problem distinguishing a traffic light colour yet, so the test here is total BS.

I was thinking of taking the wife with me and working out a code. Cough = red , Sniff = green , burp for yellow. Flatulance for distracting examiner..

Actually, I wonder if anybody has actually been denied a licence for failing this test.

They were generous in the past but now .....not so sure.  Plus if you try the brown envelope method it could all go horribly wrong.

Edited by Denim

1 minute ago, Denim said:

I was thinking of taking the wife with me and working out a code. Cough = red , Sniff = green , burp for yellow. Flatulance for distracting examiner..

I was wondering if could wear an ear bud and have someone outside the booth phoning the colours to me. Next time I'll go to my partners village where a brown envelope will change hands to get the right result.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was wondering if could wear an ear bud and have someone outside the booth phoning the colours to me. Next time I'll go to my partners village where a brown envelope will change hands to get the right result.

I was in Nonthaburi immigration once and a falang walked in and donated a box of 12 Leos and another of pepsi for the ladies.

Don't know what he was asking for but he was surely doing the groundwork.

Edited by Denim
spelling
  • Like 1