True Internet and Torrents

MJCM

We are moving into a new house and the only internet I can get there is TRUE.

My question is how does True handle torrents ?? Do they throttle ? Do they allow port forwarding ?

Any other comments about True Internet as I have never dealt with them ?

Thx

Edited by MJCM

I have been on True internet on cable for over 3 1/2 years and have no complaints about it. A few short outages and one long one when the fiber cable into the development got ripped out.

Cannot comment on torrents or porting. My computer, tablet and two phones on it and no throttling noticed. Lots of steaming during some long days.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx Guys appreciated

I did a quick speedtest while in the house and it came back 25 / 10 ! So not really that fast.

Depends on what your internet package is, if its 25/10 then its full speed.  

• Like 1

Thx Guys.

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends on what your internet package is, if its 25/10 then its full speed.  

The little I know about it now, I only know is that it's a package of TV and Internet combined.

Will now more when we moved in, hopefully end of this week !

They indeed do throttle, I am usually on 3BB and get much better results. The last few months I was on TRUE and was not very impressed. The speeds they advertise (this goes for all providers here btw) are speeds you reach inside Thailand. So internationally, speeds will drop. But with TRUE they drop a lot more than with 3BB. Port forwarding was an issue, as TRUE puts you behing the famous one-gateway project. If you call the callcenter, give them a valid reason, they can remove you from behind it, which is necessary to make port forwarding work. In my case they went as far as asking me to send a screen shot of the specific ports I wanted to forward. After that it was done within 2 hours. TRUE also for some reason updates your IP at least once a day, not a big deal, but when setting things up, good to know this and plan for that.

• Like 2

On True with internet & tv and have never experienced throttling. If the torrents are popular enough I can download at 7.0 MB/s. I just use the standard settings except I limit torrents to 7000K. A speedtest usually shows a minimum 70/30. 

This is a screenshot of a torrent I downloaded a few minutes ago, no VPN, no Thai Seeds or Peers.

BTr.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx Guys appreciated

I did a quick speedtest while in the house and it came back 25 / 10 ! So not really that fast.

It depends on what site you did a test with. Testmy.net will show the speed you get from overseas sites, and that will be lower than Thai-based site speeds which a test such as speedtest.com will give you. Try both and I'm sure you'll see a difference. Anyway, 25/10 is adequate for most people's needs, even streaming video.

Meanwhile, I'm sure that the Mods will be at work soon deleting any posts that refer to the illegal download/streaming of copyrighted material.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It depends on what site you did a test with. Testmy.net will show the speed you get from overseas sites, and that will be lower than Thai-based site speeds which a test such as speedtest.com will give you. Try both and I'm sure you'll see a difference. Anyway, 25/10 is adequate for most people's needs, even streaming video.

Meanwhile, I'm sure that the Mods will be at work soon deleting any posts that refer to the illegal download/streaming of copyrighted material.

I tested with the first option that came up with Google when I searched for Speedtest Thailand True and I believe it was https://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/

Will test with testmy.net when we move in !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martijn12345 said:

They indeed do throttle, I am usually on 3BB and get much better results. The last few months I was on TRUE and was not very impressed. The speeds they advertise (this goes for all providers here btw) are speeds you reach inside Thailand. So internationally, speeds will drop. But with TRUE they drop a lot more than with 3BB. Port forwarding was an issue, as TRUE puts you behing the famous one-gateway project. If you call the callcenter, give them a valid reason, they can remove you from behind it, which is necessary to make port forwarding work. In my case they went as far as asking me to send a screen shot of the specific ports I wanted to forward. After that it was done within 2 hours. TRUE also for some reason updates your IP at least once a day, not a big deal, but when setting things up, good to know this and plan for that.

Thx !! Yeah that is a good thing to know about the port forwarding. I may have an issue as the Internet comes included with the RENT (so not in our name) but we will try.

We are now on TOT, and they also update the IP once a day, but no issues fortunately !

Thx again, appreciated !

2 hours ago, faraday said:

What is Port Forwarding?

Port Forwarding is opening a port on your Internet Facing Router that directs that open port to a Device on your Local Network so that people from outside (read: Internet) can access that Device.

If you don't know what you are doing don't do it as it could leave your Internal Network open and exposed to the outside world !

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When testing speed across the ocean to the US - if the test gives you less than 200ms (about) ping or latency time...  it means the test is meaningless since it is hitting a local cache.  I think Speedtest has corrected the test data, but earlier I use to pick an overseas site and the data would 'travel' at faster than light speed ????  What was happening is the ISP or network provider was seeing a file it had already seen before and had cached a local copy of -- so it would be redirected to a local server.

BTW a torrent is not by itself illegal or copyrighted (protected) material, I download Linux distributions via torrents.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

BTW a torrent is not by itself illegal or copyrighted (protected) material, I download Linux distributions via torrents.

I didn't say that torrents are illegal. I said that downloading copyrighted material is, and a poster (post #16 above) had shown a screen capture of him doing exactly that.

I checked with testmy.net and I got 500k download to for example Germany.

Within Thailand it’s quick but outside NOT. When signing a longer rent contract I will try to get something else (3BB or TOT) in even as the owner says they are not available, but close by I have seen 3BB advertising. [emoji2]

Will wait and see