Iran commander calls U.S. military in Gulf a target not a threat - ISNA

webfact

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

traditionally, Arabs and Muslims leaders macho posturing are big on rhetorics of war of words but very short on substance, while iran boast of a formidable army however ill equipped with ancient hardwear they will not hasisitae to sacrifice hundreds of thousand of soldiers and civilians lives fighting enemies as they did in the 1980 Iran-Iraq war, one thing they should take into account though that the're dealing with a madman name Trump who will stop at nothing if he pushed hard enough...

"Arabs and Muslims leaders macho posturing are big on rhetorics of war of words but very short on substance,"

Didn't know Trump was a muslim ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Exactly the  sort of response  the US  has been provoking !

"Our aim is not war!" ?

So why push so hard in defiance of the majority of  UN member countries?

Another "If you are not with us you are against us "  style of rhetoric will be doubly offensive if attempted!

Unlike  Iraq they are  not playing with an assisted puppet in Iran.

36 hours and rats will be pooping their fatigues

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

lol. Asking a  question or proposing a motive is not making things up. Discussion and debate necessarily requires such. Without such the world may just as well be flat.

Asking contrived, loaded questions doesn't contribute much to discussion and debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Iran has chosen a "war of words" against the US armada instead of direct military aggression. Are they practicing Sun Tzu who said, "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Nope, they are doing the usual song and dance. Up to now, all pretty routine as far as rhetoric goes. That comers posturing, outlandish boasting and threats, childish belittling of the enemy, calls for unity coupled with denouncements of subversive elements, claims that Iran and Iranian can withstand anything while calling on the world at large to avert the approaching storm.

There's very little that Iran can do, other than that, which wouldn't play directly into Trump's administration favor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the guest said:

USA interferring with other countries is becoming a real drag. I hope that China and Russia do step in to stop this madness. 

Wouldn't hold my breath either would "step in" in any effective, meaningful way.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Morch said:

Asking contrived, loaded questions doesn't contribute much to discussion and debate.

It could be said that any question inviting an answer is obviously "loaded"  with the express intent to receive an answer.

A contrived question  would necessitate wording that allowed only the desired answer possibly already  contained  within the  question.

I very much doubt I have offered or submitted  any contrived  questions.

Nor do I have the problem of angst.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Exactly and with Iranian resources and assets they would deliberately provoke Israel if the US were stupid enough to do any thing agreesive.  If one thing is needed to unite 95% of Muslim countries in the region then that would be that. The US vessels in the area would be targets for just more than Iran.  Trump and his war mongering rhetoric would have it pushed back to him where the sun doesn't shine.

You're wrong. The Arabic Muslim countries that hate Iran, hate them far more than they do Israel now. 

They would rather die than unite with Iran. What could be provoked is a shiite v sunni conflict which could have enormous consequences across the world. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the guest said:

USA interferring with other countries is becoming a real drag. I hope that China and Russia do step in to stop this madness. 

So you don't mind China and Russia interfering in other countries. Just the US!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You're wrong. The Arabic Muslim countries that hate Iran, hate them far more than they do Israel now. 

They would rather die than unite with Iran. What could be provoked is a shiite v sunni conflict which could have enormous consequences across the world. 

Well having worked with both Iranians for 2 years and Saudis for one I can clearly say you are speaking out of ignorance of the feelings of the people.

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, the guest said:

We don't need anybody interfering, USA, Russia nor China. The hornets nest there is already stirred up more than enough.

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well having worked with both Iranians for 2 years and Saudis for one I can clearly say you are speaking out of ignorance of the feelings of the people.

Once again posting rubbish . Saudi’s have back channel

relations with Israel while have no interest in having any relations with Iranians 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, BestB said:

Do tell how conflict with Iran would unite 99% of the Muslim countries where majority are sunnis and hate Shias with passion , especially Iran .

Nonsense. You're ascribing the beliefs of islamist fanatics to all Sunnis. There's plenty of evidence to show that most Sunni Muslims do not support Islamist fanatics or subscribe to their extremist beliefs.

And you're clearly not aware of the fear that the Saudi rulers had about the popularity of the Iranian leadership among the Arab masses after the overthrow of the Shah.

Iranian support for Hamas and Hezbollah has also earned them a lot of favor among Muslims who are not exactly favorably disposed towards Israel. Which would certainly be the case for most Muslims in the Middle East if not the world.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Nonsense. You're ascribing the beliefs of islamist fanatics to all Sunnis. There's plenty of evidence to show that most Sunni Muslims do not support Islamist fanatics or subscribe to their extremist beliefs.

And you're clearly not aware of the fear that the Saudi rulers had about the popularity of the Iranian leadership among the Arab masses after the overthrow of the Shah.

Iranian support for Hamas and Hezbollah has also earned them a lot of favor among Muslims who are not exactly favorably disposed towards Israel. Which would certainly be the case for most Muslims in the Middle East if not the world.

What an utter rubbish. How you managed to come with that is beyond me, though following your posting history hardly surprising 

Edited by BestB

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

What an utter rubbish. How you managed to come with that is beyond me, though following your posting history hardly surprising 

How you manage to come up "What an upper rubbish" is not beyond me. Rather it's beneath anyone who believes in reasoned discussion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

Right you are again????????????

Iran is now viewed unfavorably in 14 out of 20 Arab and Muslim countries,

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/poll-iran-unpopular-arab-and-muslim-world

Well, you got me there. And congratulations on using evidence.

On the other hand your assertion that most Sunnis hate Shias is not borne out by the evidence.

Here's a survey from Pew showing attitudes towards Isis.. With the possible exception of Lebanon, and Turkey, none of the countries surveyed have a majority of Shias. In most, with the quasi-exception of Turkey their numbers are negligible. Yet support for the sort of fundamentalist hatred that Isis espouses is low.

FT_15.11.17_isis_views.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/08/09/muslims-and-islam-key-findings-in-the-u-s-and-around-the-world/

@bristolboy

I doubt ISIS makes a good example in this context. Too extreme by far even for many a "regular" hardliner. Also, people's hatreds aren't always structured as neatly, or simply as some expect. A lot of it is a matter of context - Iran may be more popular (in the Arab/Muslim world) when certain issues are involved, and less so when referring to others. This would even be true for the Iranian populace sentiments toward their own regime. 

In the current context, Iran's hardly likely to win Ms. Popularity - unless a US offensive really gets out of hand on the civilian casualty score. Granted, Trump rhetoric doesn't help much either.

Just now, Morch said:

@bristolboy

I doubt ISIS makes a good example in this context. Too extreme by far even for many a "regular" hardliner. Also, people's hatreds aren't always structured as neatly, or simply as some expect. A lot of it is a matter of context - Iran may be more popular (in the Arab/Muslim world) when certain issues are involved, and less so when referring to others. This would even be true for the Iranian populace sentiments toward their own regime. 

In the current context, Iran's hardly likely to win Ms. Popularity - unless a US offensive really gets out of hand on the civilian casualty score. Granted, Trump rhetoric doesn't help much either.

It was the best proxy I could come up with. And I think it's enough to rule out this over-the-top contention: "Do tell how conflict with Iran would unite 99% of the Muslim countries where majority are sunnis and hate Shias with passion , especially Iran ."

32 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It was the best proxy I could come up with. And I think it's enough to rule out this over-the-top contention: "Do tell how conflict with Iran would unite 99% of the Muslim countries where majority are sunnis and hate Shias with passion , especially Iran ."

Oh, other proxies are easy, but again - not quite on topic, and rather context related (so more off topic expected). Wouldn't know that it's got much bearing on the quoted bit (agree that it was simplistic and too strong a statement) - as said, people are quite capable of hating multiple things, sometimes with apparently less internal logic than attributed.

My impression is that, currently, there isn't a whole lot of enthusiastic support for Iran's plight, region-wise. Even those with an axe to grind as far as the US (or Israel) goes, have issues with Iran on this or that.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

On the other hand your assertion that most Sunnis hate Shias is not borne out by the evidence.

Here's a survey from Pew showing attitudes towards Isis.. With the possible exception of Lebanon, and Turkey, none of the countries surveyed have a majority of Shias. In most, with the quasi-exception of Turkey their numbers are negligible. Yet support for the sort of fundamentalist hatred that Isis espouses is low.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/08/09/muslims-and-islam-key-findings-in-the-u-s-and-around-the-world/

It's too bad the best Trump's Muslim ally is not on the list. I guess they even have not been allowed to ask questions about it.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Oh, other proxies are easy, but again - not quite on topic, and rather context related (so more off topic expected). Wouldn't know that it's got much bearing on the quoted bit (agree that it was simplistic and too strong a statement) - as said, people are quite capable of hating multiple things, sometimes with apparently less internal logic than attributed.

My impression is that, currently, there isn't a whole lot of enthusiastic support for Iran's plight, region-wise. Even those with an axe to grind as far as the US (or Israel) goes, have issues with Iran on this or that.

It depends on what plight you're talking about. As unpopular as Iran may be, I would bet that most residents in the region look with far greater disfavor on another major US incursion into the region with all its possible disastrous consequences.

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It depends on what plight you're talking about. As unpopular as Iran may be, I would bet that most residents in the region look with far greater disfavor on another major US incursion into the region with all its possible disastrous consequences.

Plight. As in going through an economic crisis following sanctions. As standing the risk of a military face-off with the USA. Rather obvious.

Not all that interested in your "bet", and bearing in mind that perceptions tend to shift according to events, presentation and specifics involved. I'll repeat - people are capable of disliking multiple objects, not always with the most logical structure or reasoning. This forum itself provides plenty of support for this... 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

Plight. As in going through an economic crisis following sanctions. As standing the risk of a military face-off with the USA. Rather obvious.

Not all that interested in your "bet", and bearing in mind that perceptions tend to shift according to events, presentation and specifics involved. I'll repeat - people are capable of disliking multiple objects, not always with the most logical structure or reasoning. This forum itself provides plenty of support for this... 

I guess I'll have to spell it out for you. I doubt that most people in the region look upon a US assault on Iran with great favor. Because you see, it is possible for people to dislike multiple objects. And given the disastrous possibilities of another US military incursion into the region, I doubt they will applaud another serious incursion. Unlike us, too many people there already have an actual experience, if not experiences, of war and have had enough. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I guess I'll have to spell it out for you. I doubt that most people in the region look upon a US assault on Iran with great favor. Because you see, it is possible for people to dislike multiple objects. And given the disastrous possibilities of another US military incursion into the region, I doubt they will applaud another serious incursion. Unlike us, too many people there already have an actual experience, if not experiences, of war and have had enough. 

Read my posts again. I have no issues with saying many (or most, whatever) people in the region aren't cheering for the US (or even holding more negative views on a prospective military intervention), but at the same time aren't cheering for the Iranians either (or even thinking they are due a kicking).

I don't think there's much sympathy for the Iranian regime, though. Maybe a grudging respect as standing up to the USA, by some. When it comes to the Iranian people, probably different - that echoes many familiar hardships and tragedies.

Hence what was said on other posts: so long as civilian casualties aren't over the top, and most targets are military in nature, public sentiment in many a ME country may not be as negative as usual.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

How you managed to post more nonsense and bring in isis to compare to Iran is well and truly beyond me, but unsurprising expected 

• Like 1