UK passport question

I'm planning a visit to the UK later this year and need to get a new passport. To ensure it arrives promptly, I thought I could apply online from here and pick up the PP in my home UK address. I'll be there for about 3 weeks buy would like to be absolutely sure I get the PP in time for the return flight. The first question when filling in the online application form is 'are you in the UK now?'. Answering 'no' results in you being advised to apply locally. Fast track renewal is one solution, but costs double the standard fee. Has anyone applied from Thailand to pick up a UK PP in the UK?

If you look a little further in the application process it states you have to send your current passport to them when doing it online.

You can pay extra to get the passport back within a week or less when you apply in the UK.

2 hours ago, minotaur said:

Fast track renewal is one solution, but costs double the standard fee.

Wow, they have upped the premium on the fast track and one-day services. The fast track (usually about 3 days) is not double but it is very close. Frankly it is worth it to save faffing around.

4 hours ago, minotaur said:

Has anyone applied from Thailand to pick up a UK PP in the UK?

I just paid the extra for same day service at the passport office in London.

150 quid, apply in person in the morning, collect after lunch.

You need to book your appointment about 3-4 weeks in advance online.

• Like 1

I haven't checked the small print but it was technically possible to do everything from here prior to heading home and then post it or get the UK post office to check it and post it as part of their service as soon as you arrive.

As I say I haven't checked the small print but that option jumped out at me the last time i looked....via a proxy server.

Edited by evadgib