How do you keep your animals cool in the heat?

I brought my cats over from USA. They are having a rough time. I know part is from the stress of the move, but I also notice they are struggling with the heat. Any tips? The obvious is air con... but we are still in the process of getting air cons installed (and even when we do is it feasible to run them 24/7?). So in the meantime... I run a large fan all day. Keep them supplied with fresh water. But I still catch them laboring to breath and panting occasionally.

• Haha 1

We have had to bring our three dogs inside during the afternoons for the past month or so, once it gets to close to 40c on my temp gauge its time to bring them in, keep one AC running at 30c in the large area they allowed to stay in.

• Like 1

We brought an English short hair cat here from the UK 2 years ago.  I know she finds it hard and she pants like a dog, which I had never seen in a cat before.  What we do now is relatively simple, but a tad expensive.  She sleeps and spends most of her life in our bedroom, which is air conned at night, so for about 10 hours day.  In the day time, the air con goes off and a fan is in the room.  The windows all have the curtains closed. She has bowls of waster around the house, and I use cold water to top up ever day but I know that she doesn't drink much and a few weeks ago, I took her to the vet to be put on a hydration drip for 24 hours.  She was much better after that, so I suggest that action if the animal is really suffering and not drinking,  Cost was 500 Bhat. I make sure that her food has a lot of liquid content to make up for the lack of drinking, as cats take most of their liquid through their food. In the evening, she does tend to have a drink or two from our fresh water pool.

At night, when the heat of the day is gone, I sit outside with her for a hour or two, just so she gets some kind of life outside the house. We go away for a couple of days every now and again and leave her in the house by herself. When we do this, we keep the bedroom air con going for 24 hours, set at dehumidify and 27 degrees.  This keeps the worst of the heat out of the room and she just stays there. as we can tell from our cat cam. 

In hindsight, we should not have brought her,  as her quality of life is not good and is far worse that in the UK.  I feel really sorry for the poor cat as she clearly will never fully acclimatise.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't turn off the aircon - when I go out during hot season I set it to 30 to stop the heat escalating.

Recently coming back from a holiday it was 37 celcius in the bedroom in the late afternoon (this summer has had regular 40-41 celcius afternoon heat) and the aircon worked for 6 hours to pump heat out of the room/walls before the temperature would come down much below 28. I need 26 down to maybe 24 to sleep well, which means that I will leave it running next time I go away too...

Running an inverter aircon is a good idea - leaving it set to 28 for a day out or 30 for a weekend away is a good plan in my opinion because it also keeps humidity at bay.

• Like 1

They are both shorthair cats. I've been in the country for 2 days (my second stint, first time I didn't have pets). They are 1.5 years old, so young and in good health.

I believe I will take them both to the vet tomorrow for IV fluids. I've kept them in the A/C bedroom all day today and they are considerably better. As soon as we get the A/C installed in the living room I suppose they'll get free roam. Till then I'll follow the suggestions here - fan always, cold water always, and keeping them in the cool room as much as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I'm not sure what you people are thinking giving animals cold water to drink when they are suffering from high temperatures. Enough to really mess up their core temperatures.

Much better to aim at clean drinking water, the main part of this is for hydration. Try not to treat pets as other humans because they aren't.

IMO of course.

I take my advice from qualified vets, they advise the cold water.  The cold leaves it quickly so it just ends up at less than  room temperature for a few hours.  Cats are clever animals, they won't touch very cold water until it warms somewhat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I'm not sure what you people are thinking giving animals cold water to drink when they are suffering from high temperatures. Enough to really mess up their core temperatures.

Much better to aim at clean drinking water, the main part of this is for hydration. Try not to treat pets as other humans because they aren't.

IMO of course.

Totally agree and a fan for a cat or a dog is a waste of time.  Remember, we humans have relatively hairless skin, but they don't and in that case, the cooling breeze from the fan does not get through.  Also animals pant naturally as a cooling agent.  Air conditioning will work as the temperature as a whole is reduced.  Find them a cool shady spot, with plenty of water and they, like us in time will acclimatize.  Also, do not over exercise them, especailly the dogs.  we walk our dogs (4 of them) for 20 minutes at 0700 hours, 1200 hours, 1700 hours and a last ditch pee stop before bed.  We also feed our dogs BARF, not this rubbish they call dog food, whether it be biscuit or meat in a tin/packet.  Nearly all of it is exceptionally poor quality.  All our dogs are lively, bright eyes and shiny coats and even our Vet has changed his dogs over to BARF.  Recommend you look it up on the internet.

3 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Totally agree and a fan for a cat or a dog is a waste of time.  Remember, we humans have relatively hairless skin, but they don't and in that case, the cooling breeze from the fan does not get through.  Also animals pant naturally as a cooling agent.  Air conditioning will work as the temperature as a whole is reduced.  Find them a cool shady spot, with plenty of water and they, like us in time will acclimatize.  Also, do not over exercise them, especailly the dogs.  we walk our dogs (4 of them) for 20 minutes at 0700 hours, 1200 hours, 1700 hours and a last ditch pee stop before bed.  We also feed our dogs BARF, not this rubbish they call dog food, whether it be biscuit or meat in a tin/packet.  Nearly all of it is exceptionally poor quality.  All our dogs are lively, bright eyes and shiny coats and even our Vet has changed his dogs over to BARF.  Recommend you look it up on the internet.

https://www.vets-now.com/2017/05/how-to-keep-cats-cool-in-summer-heat/

Just now, sanemax said:

Are they English dogs ?

Perhaps they are farang dogs who like to sunbath.  But they look like Thai ridgebacks and a couple of Heinz 57 mixed hounds.

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

They may be lovable, but everyone knows that dogs are dumb and stupid, hence soi dogs sleeping in the middle of the road in full sunlight.  You'll never see a cat acting that stupid. 

I have a pack of dogs and six cats.  I won't disagree.  <laughs>

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I have a pack of dogs and six cats.  I won't disagree.  <laughs>

Mine is as thick as a brush, but I love him to bits.  The cat thinks he's an idiot. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Mine is as thick as a brush, but I love him to bits.  The cat thinks he's an idiot. 

You have heard the expression dogs are like their owners?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Tell me why my dogs go a lay out in the sun in the middle of the day when the temperature is pushing 40C.

We let the dogs in to cool down, one is a Thai "Ridgeback" (sort off!) she gets bored quick and is let outside again where she will then lay in the sun, I have measured the temp a couple of times, the highest noted where she lays was 53c! - Beyond me?

Edited by CGW

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, it is good advice! I have a little one year old "Yorkshire terrier-like" dog. In addition to many suggestions here, I also recommend wiping your dog or cat all over with a cool wet towel two or three times a day. It is quick and easy to do. Our dog is allowed complete freedom all day long to go in and out of the house as she pleases. She spends her time sleeping on the floor tiles in various places indoors that seem to stay cooler than the air above!

About cold water: my tap water and crates of drinking water have not been cold for at least two months; so warm in fact that, when leaving water down for my dog, I put some cold water from the fridge to balance the temperature and I leave fresh water in about four different places - she drinks from all of them!

But the worst of the 'summer' heat is now over so we all hope for the cool of the wet season that the garden will appreciate too.

• Like 1

Our dog regularly walks into the fish pond and then settles in a shady spot panting away. It comes to life when the sun has gone down.

I have a few iguanas and tortoises. On of the iguanas lies in the mud in the pond during the hottest part of the day. Another iguana actually died from the heat when we had a string of 40 degrees days. The tortoises bury themselves in the damp sand, but, even so, one expired on a particularly hot day.