Pay traffic fines or your car will be banned!

webfact

Pay traffic fines or your car will be banned!

By The Nation

65e2dcba9e5a3298e982bdcd702653be.jpeg

Owners will not be able to renew their vehicle registration licences from July 1 onwards, if they have any unpaid traffic tickets.

Starting from May 24, the Land Transport Department (LTD) and the Royal Thai Police will test their shared software program to see if it works well. 

“We are introducing this measure to prevent motorists from ignoring tickets issued by traffic police,” LTD deputy director-general Chantira Parutpat said.

Statistics show that more than 5.4 million tickets have now been ignored. These tickets are issued to traffic-law offenders. So, if these offenders can just throw away the tickets, it is unlikely they will learn a lesson, Chantira said. 

Chantira said police would conduct a series of campaigns next month about the serious consequences of ignoring tickets. 

“People will be able to check if they have tickets pending by using an app provided by police,” she said. 

She said motorists would have to have paid all fines if they want to renew their vehicle-registration licences, which are renewed every year. 

“If they don’t pay fines, we won’t approve the renewal,” she said.

Police deputy spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen said police and the LTD had already linked their database for implementation of this measure.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369643

thenation_logo.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

“People will be able to check if they have tickets pending by using an app provided by police,” she said. 

I wonder what 'pending' really means? Does it mean tickets being processed by the system, but not yet issued/mailed?

Or does it mean tickets issued and mailed, but not yet paid?

Only time will tell, if and when the police release their alleged app.

I see already coming; someone is going to hack the system and transfers tickets to another name. The person who gets them cannot pass their yearly car test and has to prove he/she wasn't there... 

I know people who have 30 unpaid speeding tickets. They are issuing tickets for going 2 KM per hour over the limit. The national highways have speed limits of 90 kph. That is silly, inane, unenforceable, and impractical. These fines need to be ignored, as the speed limits are unreasonable. I doubt they will create a centralized system. Hope not. 

What the RTP, and especially the lame, incompetent, lazy and useless highway patrol need to be doing, is pulling people over for reckless driving, not issuing tickets for going 92 KPH!

No problem, in a country where you turn without a license, without plates or counterfeit plates with cars without insurance, it is certainly not a problem to continue moving in chaotic traffic legally or illegally!

20 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

There was me thinking this was already what happens when you dont pay your fine.

I feel cheated being one of a handful that has ran down to the post office to pay my 500 baht fines.

I don't want to be a killjoy but I don't think you should assume you won't be asked for it again or your registration wont be refused when and if the two software systems are integrated.

The inner workings of the Thai bureaucracy is not highly acclaimed for its forward planning and efficiency.

First out of the blocks again...

Even when a welcomed positive action is announced

the first reply is to "knock" it.

What is it with people who have nothing good to say about something that is obviously a good thing.

I suspect they think it's cool on here to knock everything Thai....because when you do the post will probably get plenty of "likes".

Reminds me of children in play school and how they behave.

48 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Correct. I guess the election is officially over now. 

Election? Where? When? Results? ????

My "nanny" country held elections on Saturday and by Sunday WE KNEW the result! 

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know people who have 30 unpaid speeding tickets. They are issuing tickets for going 2 KM per hour over the limit. The national highways have speed limits of 90 kph. That is silly, inane, unenforceable, and impractical. These fines need to be ignored, as the speed limits are unreasonable. I doubt they will create a centralized system. Hope not. 

What the RTP, and especially the lame, incompetent, lazy and useless highway patrol need to be doing, is pulling people over for reckless driving, not issuing tickets for going 92 KPH!

To be fair from what i have been told its 100kph if you do 99kph you won't get a ticket at least i havent after always keeping to that speed.

12 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

First out of the blocks again...

Even when a welcomed positive action is announced

the first reply is to "knock" it.

What is it with people who have nothing good to say about something that is obviously a good thing.

I suspect they think it's cool on here to knock everything Thai....because when you do the post will probably get plenty of "likes".

Reminds me of children in play school and how they behave.

Perhaps those denigrating have experience of the implementation of 'good ideas' that are ill thought through,inconsistently enforced,a gateway to corruption  and widely  ignored?Please feel free to supply a (likely very short) list of well implemented initiatives in Thailand...or... You may want to consider YOU are the naive schoolchild.

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes all the highways are official speed limit of 90 kph. However, the automatic cameras as well as police speed traps will only register you if you're going more than 120 kph which is a reasonable speed limit. I drive Bangkok-Mae Phim nearly every weekend and get flashed every other month or so and have always paid my fines. Now, getting flashed at 120+ kph will result in a speeding ticket of 500 Baht. You will not get flashed at 92. And 500 Baht is very reasonable compared to speeding fines in other countries.

As for your comment on reckless driving, I would like to add that I rarely see police doing anything besides speeding tickets/checkpoints. They should be much more focused on:

- overloaded trucks and pickups

- using the right lane constantly (because of their stupid dark film that they absolutely need)

- motorbikes coming the wrong way

- big trucks not having any rear lights

- trucks using bright white LED flashes for a turning signal (almost turned blind just last night)

- pickups and cars using unauthorized color lights, most importantly blue rear lights. These are absolutely horrible in estimating the distance of the car in front of you.

These refer mostly to night driving as I prefer to drive at night (speed traps usually not set up for nighttime use, much less traffic).

11 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

To be fair from what i have been told its 100kph if you do 99kph you won't get a ticket at least i havent after always keeping to that speed.

Whoever told you it is 100 kph is telling porkies.

Which part of NINE and ZERO do you not understand?

5 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

However, the automatic cameras as well as police speed traps will only register you if you're going more than 120 kph.....

From where did you learn such rubbish. I got one for 96 kph last week.

Archived