Blue vs Yellow House Book - What's the difference?

3 minutes ago, allane said:

Blue is for Thai's, yellow is for foreigners. Thai's are formally identified by a government issued identification card (bat prachachon), which is tied to a house registration book (tabien baan).

Thanks.

Under what circumstances would I be able to get a Yellow House Book with my name in it? And what would I need to do to accomplish that?

Edited by GalaxyMan

Just now, allane said:

Presuming that you are the owner of the property, apply at your District Office. You will need your passport and land title (chanote).

Am not the owner, but have a 30-year usufruct.

6 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Am not the owner, but have a 30-year usufruct.

You are not required to be the owner to obtain a Yellow Book. I have a Yellow Book and not the registered owner of the property. Although requirements vary between Amphur (Thai style) a reasonable explanation below which also outlines process for a Blue Book...

https://perfecthomes.co.th/yellow-book-tabien-baan-thailand/

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Thanks. Really good information.

Unlike the blue house book for Thai nationals, holding a yellow Tabien Baan doesn’t bestow any additional rights (such as that to vote) for foreigners. It is, though, widely accepted nationwide whenever your address in Thailand needs to be verified; for example, when registering a Thai pre-paid SIM card, arranging a home broadband service, obtaining a Thai driver’s licence, enrolling as a patient at a hospital or clinic, purchasing a vehicle, transferring ownership of real estate, checking into a hotel or for an internal flight, opening a Thai bank account, or setting up a mains electricity or water supply. Plus, it offers the holder the opportunity to secure the Thai price at venues (like National Parks) which inflict two-tier admission rates, makes them eligible to receive a Pink ID Card for foreigners not to mention affording a sense of being more a part of Thai society. And, any foreigner contemplating putting in for Thai citizenship must have their own yellow house book…or remain forever an ‘alien’ in the Kingdom!

Not sure all of the info above is accurate... 

1. The right to vote is derived from being a citizen, not from being registered in the house registration book. Being registered in a specific location determines WHERE you can vote (Thai citizens only).

2. There are many reports / threads on TV of holders of yellow book that still had to pay the higher admission rate at dual pricing places.

3. I think that in order to set up a mains electricity or water supply you need the blue house book - not sure about that.

4. AFAIK there are 2 routes for citizenship - via marriage or via PR. Once you become a PR you have to be registered in a blue book, so becoming a citizen via this route has nothing to do with the yellow book. I don't know the process via marriage route but I doubt the yellow book is a requirement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Not sure all of the info above is accurate... 

1. The right to vote is derived from being a citizen, not from being registered in the house registration book. Being registered in a specific location determines WHERE you can vote (Thai citizens only).

2. There are many reports / threads on TV of holders of yellow book that still had to pay the higher admission rate at dual pricing places.

3. I think that in order to set up a mains electricity or water supply you need the blue house book - not sure about that.

4. AFAIK there are 2 routes for citizenship - via marriage or via PR. Once you become a PR you have to be registered in a blue book, so becoming a citizen via this route has nothing to do with the yellow book. I don't know the process via marriage route but I doubt the yellow book is a requirement. 

I agree.The post from Galaxy Man is thoroughly misleading and plain wrong in a few particulars.

3 hours ago, allane said:

Blue is for Thai's, yellow is for foreigners. Thai's are formally identified by a government issued identification card (bat prachachon), which is tied to a house registration book (tabien baan).

3 hours ago, thaitero said:

Blue is for Thais and yellow is for farangs.

Foreigners with a Residence Permit (PR) can be registered in the blue TB.

• Thanks 1

I have a yellow book along with pink ID card very useful no need to go to IMO and pay 500 baht for letter of confirmation of address, used it to renew drivers licence ,use it in hotels instead of passport , car or scooter purchase it’s worth the 30 minutes it took me and the wife to get it total cost for two of us including photographs was 1,000 baht and because we are over 60 we have it for life never have to renew it. Happy Days ????

5 hours ago, allane said:

Presuming that you are the owner of the property, apply at your District Office. You will need your passport and land title (chanote).

My understanding is you don’t have to be the owner if you have taken out a good lease with the landlord You can apply for it your landlord would have to go with you and help you with the process 

7 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

What documents are required for the yellow book?

it all depends on the province you live in, some ask for a lot of docs and 2 Thai witness and will charge a fee others like mine give it for free

9 hours ago, allane said:

wrong. Permanent residents also get a blue book

32 minutes ago, gamini said:

wrong. Permanent residents also get a blue book

Only one Blue book per household.

If the PR owns a Condo he can be registered in the book.

If the PR is married to a Thai he will be included in her book.

It's compulsory for a Thai and a PR to be registered in a house book, it's voluntary for foreigners.

All PR holders have a red book.

9 hours ago, allane said:

You are now getting beyond the limits of my knowledge. This is a guess: I don't think there can be more than one housebook for the same property.

My limited knowledge disagrees with you. For ‘my’ house my wife has a blue book and I have a yellow one - same address

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Only one Blue book per household.

If the PR owns a Condo he can be registered in the book.

If the PR is married to a Thai he will be included in her book.

It's compulsory for a Thai and a PR to be registered in a house book, it's voluntary for foreigners.

All PR holders have a red book.

A PR holder can also own a house and be the only one registered in the blue book for that house!

As in my case. Just can't own the land.

So the wife could be included in the husband's blue book.

Edited by THAIJAMES
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Under what circumstances would either be desired or needed?

The Blue House Book is issued for the house, and Thai nationals – or foreigners with permanent residency – will be listed in the Blue House Book, if they register their address at that house by the tessa ban office.

The Yellow House Book is for foreigners and shall be applied for in a separate procedure, which can be quite different from province to province. Some poster have said that it very easy, whilst where I live, it was almost like applying for permanent residency, apart from the cost; the language test; and singing the national hymn (the staff shall be most happy that I didn't sing).

A house will have a master that approves a person can be registered in that house's book. The house master can be a foreigner; I'm for example listed in my Yellow House Book, but is the only one that can approve persons to be registered in my Blue House Book.

You can use a Yellow House Book for foreigners as proof of address in several cases, and the book includes a Thai ID-number, which is also TIN (Tax Identification Number). Having a Yellow House Book you can apply for an ID-card for foreigners at the amphur office (you need a letter from tessa ban) – the so-called pink ID-card, and it is pink – which is handy to wear, and use for proof of address (for example for Driving License, or vehicle registration), and identification (instead of wearing a travel passport), and in some cases the pink card gives same benefits as for Thais, which could be lower entrance fees.

????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1