US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

By The Phuket News

1558330777_1-org.jpg

The US Embassy in Bangkok has issued an advisory warning Americans to ensure they have adequate medical coverage if staying long-term in the country, especially if they are of retirement age.

The advisory reads as follows:

Thailand remains one of the most popular retirement destinations in the world. Great culture; great food; great people. And as US citizens age, Thailand also offers access to excellent health care, provided at world-class private hospitals by internationally trained doctors. But you need to be able to afford it.

Sadly, we at the Embassy in Bangkok have seen many instances where US citizens discover, too late, that essential, high-quality health care is out of financial reach and their options are limited. As you contemplate your own preparedness, we urge you to plan for a few key expenses: medical treatment, nursing care, and, if necessary, medical evacuation.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/us-embassy-issues-advisory-on-medical-care-for-tourists-long-stay-expats-71492.php#AcR8SATv5mZiMkKj.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-20

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

Good info, especially the part about the $3000 cap per year.  We have a Facebook that focuses on this for American military retirees living overseas.  Come join, if you are not already a member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1130957407076906

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The US State Department does not give “friendly” advisories to overseas Americans. There is always a reason behind it. To my fellow Americans this a Big Hint: You will need to purchase health insurance if you are a long term visa holder in Thailand. Also, when the Health Insurance law becomes comprehensive the Embassy can say “We told you so”, As an American I have lived in 3 other countries and realized the mission of a US Embassy is not to assist it’s citizens. Instead it is to promote American businesses.

just the same as every where

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

My private insurance also does the same. Mine is 20:80 co-insurance with a high deductible ($1200) and a a high max out of pocket ($10,000). It also comes with a HSA account where you can save accumulated money every year tax free. Not sure, if that will be accepted or not. Catastrophic insurance with an HSA account are  popular in the US and is meant for this kind of situation. When a catastrophic insurance is offered in ACA exchanges, there is no limit to the maximum amount the insurance is going to pay after max out of pocket.  

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

You may wish to consider purchasing long-term care insurance and having a written plan in place in the event you become incapacitated.

They may be out there.... but thus far, I've never heard of any long-term care medical insurance policies being offered here in Thailand...

In the U.S., absolutely, yes... But they tend to be expensive, as you might imagine, and I'm not sure even the U.S. ones cover care rendered outside the U.S. (The U.S. ones I've looked at in the past did not cover care outside the U.S.)

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Your particular hospital bills may not have gone over 100,000 but inpatient stays in private hospitals very, very often go not just over 100,000k (vast majority for that) but also well over 1,000,000 baht. We have had members here with bills in excess of 3 million on a single hospitalization - major of course, entailing long ICU stay, specialized surgery and the like. But it happens.

You should be prepared for bills in the 3-4 million range and if you are not,  best consider additional insurance.

I'd add that you need to be ready for that kind of bill, and still have enough left over so you can afford a relapse or the next hospital stay, AND not completely derail your retirement budget.  I've known a couple of guys who could afford the hospital bill, but it screwed up their finances to the point they had to go "back home" and get a job.  If only for the insurance coverage.

My biggest concern about the health insurance requirement is the lack of protection against getting dumped like a hot potato as soon as the Thai insurance company figures out they can make more money by cancelling your coverage.  After you find out you have long term, high $$$ health care needs is not a great time to find out you cannot get coverage any more. Or you can't afford the coverage because they jack it up so high.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1