Bangkok Air: How pollution affects our health and what to do about it

snoop1130

I wonder if the author of the article, Tina Haskins Chadha, is still in Bangkok or did she leave?  Due to the ever increasing poor air quality in Bangkok as well as the rest of Thailand I'm really thinking of not living in Thailand anymore.  

• Like 2

The picture is misleading as usual. Why can't these tree huggers actually put facts forward instead of sensationalism and just showing how ignorant they are? What is rising in the picture is steam or water vapour. Not polluting at all.

Instead of putting stupid misinformed pictures like this in the media put correct ones where the world does need to clean up. There are many. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Air pollution probably causes sickness, sickness can usually be treated. Business folks, just business. Of course double pricing for falangs. I'm expecting a chest x-ray will soon be needed for extensions.

Edited by IAMHERE
to add sarcasm.

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Air pollution probably causes sickness, sickness can usually be treated. Business folks, just business. Of course double pricing for falangs. I'm expecting a chest x-ray will soon be needed for extensions.

many countries want a chest x ray for a visa, I'm probably gonna get cancer in the future just from x rays.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:49 AM, Snow Leopard said:

The picture is misleading as usual. Why can't these tree huggers actually put facts forward instead of sensationalism and just showing how ignorant they are? What is rising in the picture is steam or water vapour. Not polluting at all.

Instead of putting stupid misinformed pictures like this in the media put correct ones where the world does need to clean up. There are many. 

I've no idea about the picture ... but the premise that air pollution is seriously bad for your health is valid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I have rhinitis a nose allergy...i actualy find it a lot better over all in BKK than Melbourne.

From a Sydney lad, anywhere is better than Melbourne  :bah: :sorry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, monkeycu said:

From a Sydney lad, anywhere is better than Melbourne  :bah: :sorry:

Having been to Sydney a number of times i cant fathom how you came to that conclusion.....Even Adeliade is better than Sydney...sorry...

The it was worse last year is not true, since last year there is now more publicity but this year in BKK it was far worse but yes the fog has been there a while but not as bad as my post uni travel years in 90s.

I suspect that most flora/fauna is adapting to it in some way, either that or it will wipe us all out

some are more resiliant than others

but just be thankful you don't live in Pakistan or India cos the BKK bad is their normal

On 5/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, Snow Leopard said:

What is rising in the picture is steam or water vapour. Not polluting at all.

...and probably not even Bangkok. With out high humidity one wouldn't see much water vapour.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Having been to Sydney a number of times i cant fathom how you came to that conclusion.....Even Adeliade is better than Sydney...sorry...

To be honest in the past 10 years I have dread the thought each y last trip was the last one :clap2:

On 5/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and probably not even Bangkok. With out high humidity one wouldn't see much water vapour.

so you don't understand where the water vapour comes from? it's got nothing to do with surrounding humidity which you can't see. it's exhaust steam condensing in the atmosphere. look up enthalpy and dew point to find out why there is water vapour in free air.

and you're more likely to see water vapour from exhaust stacks or cooling towers in cold countries with 0% humidity as all the moisture in the air has already condensed. 

Edited by sandrabbit
mixed up enthalpy for entropy - gonna sue chang

On 5/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, Hanuman2547 said:

I wonder if the author of the article, Tina Haskins Chadha, is still in Bangkok or did she leave?

Likely no longer here, otherwise she wouldn't have quoted the outdated report from February, which cited Chiang Mai as having the third worst air pollution in the world. The figures a month later would have fitted the narrative much better once it topped the charts.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:30 AM, sandrabbit said:
On 5/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, VocalNeal said:

so you don't understand where the water vapour comes from? it's got nothing to do with surrounding humidity which you can't see. it's exhaust steam condensing in the atmosphere. look up enthalpy and dew point to find out why there is water vapour in free air.

and you're more likely to see water vapour from exhaust stacks or cooling towers in cold countries with 0% humidity as all the moisture in the air has already condensed. 

Water vapour is the part you can't see, gaseous water molecules, you're both thinking of condensation which occurs when warm moist air is cooled below the dew point (as you say). It's harder to cool stack effluent with warm air, resulting in less condensation especially if the relative humidity is low. In the atmosphere, the primary mode of cooling is mixing (rather than radiative or conduction) so humidity is involved.  Condensation all occurs when lowering the pressure of moist air as on airplane wings, less moisture less condensation. So it's got to do with both.

Edited by rabas