An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

2021 list (from mid October) is here...????

2021_Retirement-extension.thumb.jpg.bf57d6f201f5e4491aa4c35b1fa6cb34.jpg

Thanks!  As far as I can see, the only change from last year is the addition at the bottom of the Non-OA insurance certificate requirement.   Correct? 

Regarding that insurance, it says 40K/400K but I've seen news reports that it has been recently upped to 40K/3M.  Is that not the case or have they just not properly updated this list?

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks!  As far as I can see, the only change from last year is the addition at the bottom of the Non-OA insurance certificate requirement.   Correct? 

Regarding that insurance, it says 40K/400K but I've seen news reports that it has been recently upped to 40K/3M.  Is that not the case or have they just not properly updated this list?

I think - unfortunately "think", as it I'm on non-O so it was not important for me - that it's for new approved visas from 1st October 2021.

A quick Google-search only reveals this...

Announcement

To apply for an O-A visa, the Health insurance policy must have coverage not less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for Inpatient, and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient. The coverage requirement above will be valid until 30th of September 2021.

Starting from the 1st of October 2021 the Royal Thai Embassy has introduced the following new requirements for the said visa O-A application stated that the applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage of at least three million baht. The new certificate will start after the date. (This apply to new customers only)

For renewal customers the coverage will continue as usual untill approximately 1st of October 2022

Source link HERE.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

I think - unfortunately "think", as it I'm on non-O so it was not important for me - that it's for new approved visas from 1st October 2021.

A quick Google-search only reveals this...

Source link HERE.

Thanks, that may be right.  How recently did you go for your extension, was it October?  Any new wrinkles or surprises that you noticed?

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, that may be right.  How recently did you go for your extension, was it October?  Any new wrinkles or surprises that you noticed?

Mid October, almost same procedure as every year...????

Don't forget that you now can book appointment time in advance for extension of stay in the Kingdom, including Samui, link HERE...

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Don't forget that you now can book appointment time in advance for extension of stay in the Kingdom, including Samui, link HERE...

Thanks I wasn't aware of it.  Did you use it?  I just checked the separate thread on this topic and it seems that sometimes it just doesn't work or you get an appointment but when you arrive at the office they don't give it any acknowledgement, you just wait in line as usual (2 people in Phuket reported this) and some offices are outright saying they don't use the system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, khunPer said:

I tried that and even though I got a confirmation e-mail , nobody at immigration knew anything about it or had seen it before . So I proceeded in normal Q .

They recommended QueQ app in future ... anyone tried that ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, PoorSucker said:

Replacement for the old pinned topic that's outdated. 

Samui immigration check list here. 

imageproxy.jpeg.2039e26aaf57f3bf9ed4bc2bee746ac4.jpeg

Have to renew my extension this coming week and I can't remember this one:

No.3. Passport and copy passport (since you have entered in Kingdom until the current stamp).

Does this mean copy all passport pages since original Non. O five years ago? That's a lot of pages with all my coming and goings from Thailand.

Or does it mean since my last entry? November 21. In which case it's nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

No.3. Passport and copy passport (since you have entered in Kingdom until the current stamp).

Does this mean copy all passport pages since original Non. O five years ago? That's a lot of pages with all my coming and goings from Thailand.

I read as since last entry stamp, which I did in October (2021), plus the name page. The lady at the counter however walked to the copy machine, and copied all other used pages in the passport; i.e. all pages until your last stamp in the passport...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I read as since last entry stamp, which I did in October (2021), plus the name page. The lady at the counter however walked to the copy machine, and copied all other used pages in the passport; i.e. all pages until your last stamp in the passport...:whistling:

Last year (my first extending in Samui) I only brought copies of:  main page,  first visa (actually the transfer stamp with the visa info because my first visa was in an old passport), last extension, last entry stamp. I got my extension and I don't recall them copying more, but maybe they did.  It seems strange if they want the whole book since first entry on our retirement visa, because for people like me whose visa is in an old passport, the logic ought to extend to copying the old one too, which neither Samui nor BKK has ever asked me to do.   And even in the current passport, why would they want intervening pages with stamps from unrelated travel?  However, one never knows!

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

I don't see any significant change from their list from early 2021, and No. 3 was there in the same words.  The only difference I see in the new list is that the earlier one had at the bottom an item about the medical insurance requirement for non-OAs and I don't see that here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I don't see any significant change from their list from early 2021, and No. 3 was there in the same words.  The only difference I see in the new list is that the earlier one had at the bottom an item about the medical insurance requirement for non-OAs and I don't see that here.

The list in the quote is from 2019, it's not the latest, that's why you're missing the O-A insurance information...????

October 2021 list is here...

2021_Retirement-extension.thumb.jpg.bf57

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Last year (my first extending in Samui) I only brought copies of:  main page,  first visa (actually the transfer stamp with the visa info because my first visa was in an old passport), last extension, last entry stamp. I got my extension and I don't recall them copying more, but maybe they did.  It seems strange if they want the whole book since first entry on our retirement visa, because for people like me whose visa is in an old passport, the logic ought to extend to copying the old one too, which neither Samui nor BKK has ever asked me to do.   And even in the current passport, why would they want intervening pages with stamps from unrelated travel?  However, one never knows!

The first page for stamps in my passport is transfer stamps of two old original non-O visas, she still wanted all pages from 2016 and up to date (October 2021)...:whistling:

• Confused 1

Did my retirement extension application again today.

Immigration Office was packed, with many tourists doing extensions, seemingly unprepared, as the photocopy guy outside was doing a roaring trade.

They seem to have changed the procedure since last time I did it. Now a girl at the desk by the ticket machine, checks all your papers are correct before calling you and issuing a ticket number.

Retirement extension 1900, Multi entry permit 3800 =5700.

Grumpy always seems to make it 5800. Maybe that's why she looked a little more happy today.

Back to collect passport next week.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do they need to see a transaction in your bank book dated the day you go into the office

The give some leeway but I don't know how long it can be stretched , I usually do the 100baht transaction and the bank letter the day before I go to the Immigration office.

They have even once accepted a Thursday bank letter + transaction on a Monday for me. (they were closed on that Friday).

• Like 1

Did my retirement extension application again today.

Immigration Office was packed, with many tourists doing extensions, seemingly unprepared, as the photocopy guy outside was doing a roaring trade.

They seem to have changed the procedure since last time I did it. Now a girl at the desk by the ticket machine, checks all your papers are correct before calling you and issuing a ticket number.

Retirement extension 1900, Multi entry permit 3800 =5700.

Grumpy always seems to make it 5800. Maybe that's why she looked a little more happy today.

Back to collect passport next week.

Thanks for the report.  Two questions:  1. When I went last year I thought I'd have to return to pick it up the next week which is bit of a hassle (I live in Koh Phangan) but they said I could pick it up that afternoon and it was ready.  Any chance of that this year?  2. About the bank transaction:  did you need to show a recent entry in your bank book to confirm the balance or was the letter enough?

1 hour ago, lom said:

The give some leeway but I don't know how long it can be stretched , I usually do the 100baht transaction and the bank letter the day before I go to the Immigration office.

They have even once accepted a Thursday bank letter + transaction on a Monday for me. (they were closed on that Friday).

Their list says the bank letter is good for 7 days.  I can't see why a Thursday bank letter would not be a slam dunk.  The thing that makes it trickier is the transaction, if it's hard to find an ATM that will update your bank book the same day you apply.  I've had that problem, ATM's not working.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do they need to see a transaction in your bank book dated the day you go into the office

as Bangkok does (to prove that the balance still meets the B800K requirement)?  Or is the bank letter enough?  

One week before, says the Samui regulations.

For the 800k baht-method, you need a letter from the bank, a 3-month statement from the bank, and photocopies of you bankbook showing all transactions for the previous year.

Best is to keep the 800k baht in a separate account, so not mixed from daily transactions, and if you can afford it - i.e. don't need to drop to 400k baht for close to 7 month, the use a 12-month fixed account for best interest, and withdraw the interest once a year, so you keep a clean 800k baht balance. Easy to check the account, and easy to photo-copy all pages with transactions for one year; it has worked fine for me for several years...????

I deposited 100 baht in my account on the day I was going to to my application and updated my passbook..

Got my bank letter and a statement for the past 12 months, and popped into a local print shop to photocopy all pages of my passbook, signed them and was good to go.

It does say in the "requirements list" that the bank Statement letter is valid for 7 days, but nothing about the passbook copies except 12 months.

I normally go to the Imm Office in the afternoon because its usually a little quieter, but maybe better in the mornings at the moment.

I cannot answer about getting your passport back earlier. You will have to ask them. But the last two, maybe three years it has gone from "Wait for it", to "Come back next week."

If yesterday was anything to go by, try and get all your photocopying done before going there.

Don't forget to sign all papers.

HTH.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 7:48 AM, phetphet said:

I deposited 100 baht in my account on the day I was going to to my application and updated my passbook..

Got my bank letter and a statement for the past 12 months, and popped into a local print shop to photocopy all pages of my passbook, signed them and was good to go.

It does say in the "requirements list" that the bank Statement letter is valid for 7 days, but nothing about the passbook copies except 12 months.

I normally go to the Imm Office in the afternoon because its usually a little quieter, but maybe better in the mornings at the moment.

I cannot answer about getting your passport back earlier. You will have to ask them. But the last two, maybe three years it has gone from "Wait for it", to "Come back next week."

If yesterday was anything to go by, try and get all your photocopying done before going there.

Don't forget to sign all papers.

HTH.

How long did you have to wait for the 12 months bank letter and statement? My account is with Bangkok bank and there is waiting time for statements covering more than 6 months.

14 hours ago, gearbox said:

How long did you have to wait for the 12 months bank letter and statement? My account is with Bangkok bank and there is waiting time for statements covering more than 6 months.

They did it while I waited. I don't really use that account much. It's mainly for the THB800,000. So there are not many transactions to print off. But they did it while I waited last year as well.

Edited by phetphet

They did it while I waited. I don't really use that account much. It's mainly for the THB800,000. So there are not many transactions to print off. But they did it while I waited last year as well.

Sounds good.. Bangkok bank told me that 12 months statement would take a few days, they can only do 6 months or less on the spot.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I also use the 800k deposit method, you will not need a 12-months bank statement when using that method, just 3 month plus a photo-copy of the bank book. I've used the 800k deposit method for almost 15 years and I've never been asked for 12-month statements, and it's not a requirement either.

@gearbox, Bangkok Bank branches can only issue 6 month statements, as their computer system covers no data older than six month; the same time-frame you has access to in their online-banking. A 12-month statement need to be ordered from- and printed by the head office in Bangkok, it takes about a week and costs 200 baht...????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I also use the 800k deposit method, you will not need a 12-months bank statement when using that method, just 3 month plus a photo-copy of the bank book. I've used the 800k deposit method for almost 15 years and I've never been asked for 12-month statements, and it's not a requirement either.

@gearbox, Bangkok Bank branches can only issue 6 month statements, as their computer system covers no data older than six month; the same time-frame you has access to in their online-banking. A 12-month statement need to be ordered from- and printed by the head office in Bangkok, it takes about a week and costs 200 baht...????

Feb '21 I took a three month bank statement, copies of all bank book pages, and book to immigration.

I was sent away. Told to get a 12 month statement. When I asked why? I was told, "Because that's what the boss wants."

Rather than another wasted journey and another 250 baht or whatever it was, this year I just told them I needed a twelve month statement.  Even the bank queried it, but I wasn't going to waste my time again and told them I needed 12 month.

• Like 2