Botswana lifts ban on big game hunting

webfact

Botswana lifts ban on big game hunting

2019-05-23T083242Z_1_LYNXNPEF4M0LC_RTROPTP_4_BOTSWANA-HUNTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A herd of elephants is seen grazing at a wildlife area, after reports that conservationists have discovered 87 of them slaughtered just in the last few months, outside Kasane in the northeastern corner of Botswana, September 20, 2018. REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko/File Photo

GABORONE (Reuters) - Botswana, home to almost a third of Africa's elephants, lifted a ban on big game hunting on Wednesday, citing growing conflict between humans and wildlife and the negative impact of the hunting suspension on people's livelihoods.

Conservationists estimate the southern African country has around 130,000 elephants, but some lawmakers say the number is much higher and causes problems for small-scale farmers.

"The Government of Botswana has taken a decision to lift the hunting suspension," the Environment Ministry said in a statement.

"The Ministry would like to reiterate that it will work with all stakeholders to ensure that re-instatement of hunting is done in an orderly and ethical manner".

It said the return of wildlife hunting would take place in accordance with laws and regulations governing wildlife conservation, hunting and licensing, but did not elaborate. Minister of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism Onkokame Kitso Mokaila would hold a news conference on Thursday to give details, it said.

President Mokgweetsi Masisi set up a committee in June last year to consider the hunting ban, which was imposed by former President Ian Khama in 2014 after surveys showed declining wildlife populations.

The committee recommended in February that Botswana consider allowing big game hunting again.

At the time, the committee chair said it recommended "a legal framework that will enable the growth of a safari hunting industry and manage the country's elephant population within the historic range". The committee also called for "regular but limited" elephant culling.

Botswana, a mostly arid country the size of France, has a population of around 2.3 million people and its vast tracts of remote wilderness make it a magnet for foreign tourists who want to view wildlife.

(Reporting by Brian Benza; Writing by Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-23

"citing growing conflict between humans and wildlife and the negative impact of the hunting suspension on people's livelihoods",...read,..!There is a whole lot more money to be made by selling hunting permits (Killing permits) than by conservation !!!! typical short time thinking !!! 

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about game permits to hunt poachers.

Of course they might shoot back.

Better yet, allow game permits for hunters to hunt each other ????.

I feel very slightly (and I mean very slightly) sorry for poachers, who are likely to be extremely poor (?), whereas I have no sympathy whatsoever for those who want to kill for 'the thrill'......

If they find it thrilling to kill, then surely they would be in paradise hunting people with the same weapons as themselves?

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Better yet, allow game permits for hunters to hunt each other ????.

I feel very slightly (and I mean very slightly) sorry for poachers, who are likely to be extremely poor (?), whereas I have no sympathy whatsoever for those who want to kill for 'the thrill'......

If they find it thrilling to kill, then surely they would be in paradise hunting people with the same weapons as themselves?

Reminds me of something that was said when I visited the Gambia many years ago.

The gambians were very happy people, had plenty to eat, needed for nothing...

Until they see white man with car, TV's and refrigerators.

But agree big game hunters should be able hunt each other as well...

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

No need for "as well" - let them hunt each other.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

2019-05-23T083242Z_1_LYNXNPEF4M0LC_RTROPTP_4_BOTSWANA-HUNTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A herd of elephants is seen grazing at a wildlife area, after reports that conservationists have discovered 87 of them slaughtered just in the last few months, outside Kasane in the northeastern corner of Botswana, September 20,

Reminds me of Surin...

15 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:
23 minutes ago, Basil B said:

No need for "as well" - let them hunt each other.

I do not go with the poachers do it because they are poor and starving, they do not kill the elephants and rhinos for meat, they do it for greed.

Suppose if one wants to shoot poachers one could join the British army, only problem is elephants can not tell friend from foe...

A British soldier has died while on anti-poaching work in Malawi, the Ministry of Defence said.

Mathew Talbot, 22, of the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, was understood to have been killed by an elephant while on wildlife patrol in Liwonde national park, on 5 May. There are more than 30 British troops based in Malawi to combat illegal killing of wildlife and the MoD said this was Talbot’s first deployment.

Operation Corded, the army’s counter-poaching deployment, assists in the training of rangers to help them crack down on the illegal trade. The operation teaches rangers in partnered patrolling, communications, surveillance, and intelligence sharing. The first deployment took place in August 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/07/british-soldier-killed-by-elephant-anti-poaching-patrol-malawi

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

I do not go with the poachers do it because they are poor and starving, they do not kill the elephants and rhinos for meat, they do it for greed.

Suppose if one wants to shoot poachers one could join the British army, only problem is elephants can not tell friend from foe...

The MoD said Talbot was an “exceptionally kind and friendly individual” who would often befriend local people and learn their language. Those who were closest to him described him as a “proud Brummie” who was hard working and always “laughing and cracking jokes”.

A nice obituary for someone I'm sure choose to do the job. RIP. 

Archived